    How much speedup does that mean in practice?
    My guess is less than 1%

    Gianni
    Gianni Galore, Dec 22, 2010

  2. Gianni Galore

    Lew Guest

    On 12/22/2010 03:04 AM, Gianni Galore wrote:
    > On my 64bit Win7 system I have the choice of installing either 64bit or 32bit Java (J2SE or J2EE).
    >
    > I am wondering if there are practically really so much advantages of 64bit over 32bit version.
    >
    > How much speedup does that mean in practice?
    > My guess is less than 1%

    Larger pointers and data mean more cache pressure which can dramatically
    decrease performance. The Oracle JVMs, and perhaps others, include an option
    to use 32-bit addresses in 64-bit mode, thus easing that pressure where
    applicable. Usage patterns make the actual outcomes of these issues
    unpredictable.

    The key to performance guesses is that they're always wrong.

    --
    Lew
    Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
    Lew, Dec 23, 2010