Advantage of 64bit Java vs 32bit ? Performance?

Gianni Galore

On my 64bit Win7 system I have the choice of installing either 64bit or 32bit Java (J2SE or J2EE).

I am wondering if there are practically really so much advantages of 64bit over 32bit version.

How much speedup does that mean in practice?
My guess is less than 1%

Gianni

Lew

On my 64bit Win7 system I have the choice of installing either 64bit or 32bit Java (J2SE or J2EE).

I am wondering if there are practically really so much advantages of 64bit over 32bit version.

How much speedup does that mean in practice?
My guess is less than 1%

Larger pointers and data mean more cache pressure which can dramatically
decrease performance. The Oracle JVMs, and perhaps others, include an option
to use 32-bit addresses in 64-bit mode, thus easing that pressure where
applicable. Usage patterns make the actual outcomes of these issues
unpredictable.

The key to performance guesses is that they're always wrong.