Adventures in Whidbey land...

Doug Holland

Hi There

I just installed the PDC build of Whidbey onto Windows XP
using the 'Web Developer' profile when I installed and
was a little surprised to see that it is only ASP.NET
projects that I have available and now wishing I'd
chosen 'C# Developer' which probably displays all project
type ... how do I switch profiles in VS.NET Whidbey????

Secondly what happened to Microsoft telling us that code
behind was the right way to go (rightly so), because when
I created my first ASP.NET 2.0 'HelloWorld' application
the code behind has disappeared unless I select to add a
new file and select 'Web Form using Code Separation'.

Strange things are a foot in Whidbey Land!!!

- Doug

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hello Doug,

Thanks for posting in the group.

Based on my understanding, now the questions are:
1) How to switch user settings in Whidbey?
2) How to use code behind easily in Whidbey IDE?
Please feel free to post here if I have misunderstood the problem.

For the first question, we could open Whidbey, go to Menu
Tools->Import/Export Settings...->Reset IDE Settings and then change IDE
style there.

For the second question, I created an ASP.NET project for testing on my
side. After creating project, it creates a simple aspx file for me. There
are three tabs for us: Design, Source, Server Code. I think the third tab
is what you need. VS Whidbey addes a new type of web form for us since many
developers feel there is no need to add one cs or vb file for each web
form. So we create a new template so that web developers could add
different style of web forms easily.

Does that answer your question? If you have any more concerns on it, please
feel free to post here.

Also, for VS.NET IDE related issues, we can post it in
microsoft.public.vsnet.IDE group.

Have a good day.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Community Support

Teemu Keiski

Hi,

for the second question:

There should be option of choosing the WebForm from two types. "WebForm" and
"WebForm using code separation" (nickname code-beside) or something similar
(can't recall the names exactly now as I don't have the Whidbey IDE here at
work). If you choose the first one, the code goes inline with the aspx and
if you choose the second one, it goes to separate file like with code-behind
model.

BUT: With code-beside the difference is that it (code-beside class) is now
compiled to single class with the linked page, therefore the name
code-beside. In earlier version the dynamically compiled page class derived
from the code-behind class, which meant two different classes (obviously)
and again that event handlers etc couldn't be private. As the new model uses
new partial class feature in Whidbey, all this stuff can now be pushed to
the single class (which is separated to the dynamic page class file and the
code-beside class file if you use code-separation) and event handlers &
members can be private to the page and so on. And also it is now even more
question of personal preference, do you use inline code or code-beside (I'd
still use code-beside) as the IDe supports Intellisense etc for both models
equivally.

My explanation is bit messy so here's link to more quality information:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/w...library/en-us/dnaspp/html/codecompilation.asp
(New Code Compilation Features in ASP.NET Whidbey)

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hi Teemu,

Great knowledge sharing and useful web link. :)

Thanks very much, Teemu.