    new file and select 'Web Form using Code Separation'.

    Strange things are a foot in Whidbey Land!!!

    - Doug

    Doug Holland, Jan 6, 2004

  2. Hello Doug,

    Thanks for posting in the group.

    Based on my understanding, now the questions are:
    1) How to switch user settings in Whidbey?
    2) How to use code behind easily in Whidbey IDE?
    Please feel free to post here if I have misunderstood the problem.

    For the first question, we could open Whidbey, go to Menu
    Tools->Import/Export Settings...->Reset IDE Settings and then change IDE
    style there.

    For the second question, I created an ASP.NET project for testing on my
    side. After creating project, it creates a simple aspx file for me. There
    are three tabs for us: Design, Source, Server Code. I think the third tab
    is what you need. VS Whidbey addes a new type of web form for us since many
    developers feel there is no need to add one cs or vb file for each web
    form. So we create a new template so that web developers could add
    different style of web forms easily.

    Does that answer your question? If you have any more concerns on it, please
    feel free to post here.

    Also, for VS.NET IDE related issues, we can post it in
    microsoft.public.vsnet.IDE group.

    Have a good day.

    Best regards,
    Yanhong Huang
    Microsoft Community Support

    Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT], Jan 6, 2004

  3. Doug Holland

    Teemu Keiski Guest

    Hi,

    for the second question:

    There should be option of choosing the WebForm from two types. "WebForm" and
    "WebForm using code separation" (nickname code-beside) or something similar
    (can't recall the names exactly now as I don't have the Whidbey IDE here at
    work). If you choose the first one, the code goes inline with the aspx and
    if you choose the second one, it goes to separate file like with code-behind
    model.

    BUT: With code-beside the difference is that it (code-beside class) is now
    compiled to single class with the linked page, therefore the name
    code-beside. In earlier version the dynamically compiled page class derived
    from the code-behind class, which meant two different classes (obviously)
    and again that event handlers etc couldn't be private. As the new model uses
    new partial class feature in Whidbey, all this stuff can now be pushed to
    the single class (which is separated to the dynamic page class file and the
    code-beside class file if you use code-separation) and event handlers &
    members can be private to the page and so on. And also it is now even more
    question of personal preference, do you use inline code or code-beside (I'd
    still use code-beside) as the IDe supports Intellisense etc for both models
    equivally.

    My explanation is bit messy so here's link to more quality information:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/w...library/en-us/dnaspp/html/codecompilation.asp
    (New Code Compilation Features in ASP.NET Whidbey)

    --
    Teemu Keiski

    Teemu Keiski, Jan 6, 2004
  4. Hi Teemu,

    Great knowledge sharing and useful web link. :)

    Thanks very much, Teemu.

    Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT], Jan 6, 2004