Advice and/or tips for my site, please

J. Muir

Hello,

Would one, or a few, of you talented web coders/designers mind stopping
by one of my sites -- http://www.SloCountyWineries.com -- and give me
some tips on how I can make its appearance more consistent on a variety
of browsers.

I use (don't laugh) ol' IE 5.1 on my ol' Power Mac... it works fine, and
on my browser the front page of that site looks balanced -- the greenish
part on each side of the beige middle area on the front page are the
same size -- but when I recently looked at it on a PC with a newer
version of IE, the greenish bar on the left was much wider than the one
on the right.

I code my html by hand, but I don't consider myself a programmer, just a
lot of copying and pasting and modifying, mostly. I understand how html
tables work, I think, for the most part, but if there's something better
that I'm not aware of, I'd love to hear about it.

Any advice or tips would be great. I really appreciate it.

Thanks

dorayme

"J. Muir said:
[...]

Something (perhaps your Java crashed one of my browsers, very
rare for my Safari to simply crash! I have no idea why really)

Use a strict doctype at least for purposes of building the page,
remove the java while doing this, try validating and follow all
the recommendations.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

J. Muir said:
Would one, or a few, of you talented web coders/designers mind stopping
by one of my sites -- http://www.SloCountyWineries.com -- and give me
some tips on how I can make its appearance more consistent on a variety
of browsers.

Your code is old-style, circa 1995. Look at some modern three-column
templates:
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=ThreeColumnLayouts
I like Ben Meadowcroft's and the Ruthsarian templates.

Use a complete (Strict) doctype, such as:

Your Java applet didn't crash my Firefox or Opera; I got a same-sized
white box offering to "download the plugin" (I do have the latest Java
installed).

With Internet Explorer 6, the light green sidebars are way wider than
the other two browsers, and cause the page to have a horizontal scroll
bar, not fitting in the IE window.

Think fluid.
Think CSS.

J. Muir

Your code is old-style, circa 1995. Look at some modern three-column
templates:
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=ThreeColumnLayouts

Thank you guys so much for the info.

I am old school. I think I learned most of my techniques from this board
starting in about 1997. (Is Jukka still around? He was great! -- yep, I
just went and checked and saw his name. Thanks for all the help, Jukka.)

Went and looked at those 3-column templates, and found some that will
work great, and I was able start modifying them.

So that's the way to go these days, huh? .css files and all. If so, I
guess I'll start getting familiar with it.

I dig the re-sizing depending on window size thing. That's the "fluid"
part, yes?

Sorry 'bout the old school questions.

Thanks again.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

J. Muir said:
I am old school. ...

We all were said:
Went and looked at those 3-column templates, and found some that will
work great, and I was able start modifying them.

In a day or so, you should be up to speed. Once there, you will never
look back.
So that's the way to go these days, huh? .css files and all. If so, I
guess I'll start getting familiar with it.

'Tis the way.
I dig the re-sizing depending on window size thing. That's the
"fluid" part, yes?

That would be correct.

J. Muir

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
In a day or so, you should be up to speed. Once there, you will never
look back.

'Tis the way.

That would be correct.

Excellent answers. Thank you so much. I'm sold. It's good to be finally
up to date.