Advice and/or tips for my site, please

Discussion in 'HTML' started by J. Muir, Dec 4, 2006.

  1. J. Muir

    J. Muir Guest

    Hello,

    Would one, or a few, of you talented web coders/designers mind stopping
    by one of my sites -- http://www.SloCountyWineries.com -- and give me
    some tips on how I can make its appearance more consistent on a variety
    of browsers.

    I use (don't laugh) ol' IE 5.1 on my ol' Power Mac... it works fine, and
    on my browser the front page of that site looks balanced -- the greenish
    part on each side of the beige middle area on the front page are the
    same size -- but when I recently looked at it on a PC with a newer
    version of IE, the greenish bar on the left was much wider than the one
    on the right.

    I code my html by hand, but I don't consider myself a programmer, just a
    lot of copying and pasting and modifying, mostly. I understand how html
    tables work, I think, for the most part, but if there's something better
    that I'm not aware of, I'd love to hear about it.

    Any advice or tips would be great. I really appreciate it.

    Thanks

    J. Muir, Dec 4, 2006

  2. J. Muir

    dorayme Guest

    In article <e729b$45749ade$4396a320$>,
    "J. Muir" <> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Would one, or a few, of you talented web coders/designers mind stopping
    > by one of my sites -- http://www.SloCountyWineries.com -- and give me
    > some tips on how I can make its appearance more consistent on a variety
    > of browsers.
    >
    > I use (don't laugh) ol' IE 5.1 on my ol' Power Mac... it works fine, and
    > on my browser the front page of that site looks balanced -- the greenish
    > part on each side of the beige middle area on the front page are the
    > same size -- but when I recently looked at it on a PC with a newer
    > version of IE, the greenish bar on the left was much wider than the one
    > on the right.
    >
    > I code my html by hand, but I don't consider myself a programmer, just a
    > lot of copying and pasting and modifying, mostly. I understand how html
    > tables work, I think, for the most part, but if there's something better
    > that I'm not aware of, I'd love to hear about it.
    >
    > Any advice or tips would be great. I really appreciate it.
    >
    > Thanks

    Something (perhaps your Java crashed one of my browsers, very
    rare for my Safari to simply crash! I have no idea why really)

    Use a strict doctype at least for purposes of building the page,
    remove the java while doing this, try validating and follow all
    the recommendations.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Dec 4, 2006

  3. J. Muir wrote:

    > Would one, or a few, of you talented web coders/designers mind stopping
    > by one of my sites -- http://www.SloCountyWineries.com -- and give me
    > some tips on how I can make its appearance more consistent on a variety
    > of browsers.

    Your code is old-style, circa 1995. Look at some modern three-column
    templates:
    http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=ThreeColumnLayouts
    I like Ben Meadowcroft's and the Ruthsarian templates.

    Use a complete (Strict) doctype, such as:

    Your Java applet didn't crash my Firefox or Opera; I got a same-sized
    white box offering to "download the plugin" (I do have the latest Java
    installed).

    With Internet Explorer 6, the light green sidebars are way wider than
    the other two browsers, and cause the page to have a horizontal scroll
    bar, not fitting in the IE window.

    Think fluid.
    Think CSS.

    --
    -bts
    -This message has been tested for polonium-210 and found to be safe

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 5, 2006
  4. J. Muir

    J. Muir Guest

    In article <Zg3dh.149795$>,
    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    > Your code is old-style, circa 1995. Look at some modern three-column
    > templates:
    > http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=ThreeColumnLayouts

    Thank you guys so much for the info.

    I am old school. I think I learned most of my techniques from this board
    starting in about 1997. (Is Jukka still around? He was great! -- yep, I
    just went and checked and saw his name. Thanks for all the help, Jukka.)

    Went and looked at those 3-column templates, and found some that will
    work great, and I was able start modifying them.

    So that's the way to go these days, huh? .css files and all. If so, I
    guess I'll start getting familiar with it.

    I dig the re-sizing depending on window size thing. That's the "fluid"
    part, yes?

    Sorry 'bout the old school questions.

    Thanks again.

    J. Muir, Dec 5, 2006
  5. J. Muir wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:
    >> Your code is old-style, circa 1995. Look at some modern three-column
    >> templates:
    >> http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=ThreeColumnLayouts

    > I am old school. ...

    We all were, ten years ago. <g>

    > Went and looked at those 3-column templates, and found some that will
    > work great, and I was able start modifying them.

    In a day or so, you should be up to speed. Once there, you will never
    look back.

    > So that's the way to go these days, huh? .css files and all. If so, I
    > guess I'll start getting familiar with it.

    'Tis the way.

    > I dig the re-sizing depending on window size thing. That's the
    > "fluid" part, yes?

    That would be correct.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 5, 2006
  6. J. Muir

    J. Muir Guest

    In article
    <P_jdh.154125$>,
    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    > J. Muir wrote:
    >
    > > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:
    > >> Your code is old-style, circa 1995. Look at some modern three-column
    > >> templates:
    > >> http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=ThreeColumnLayouts

    > > I am old school. ...

    > We all were, ten years ago. <g>
    >
    > > Went and looked at those 3-column templates, and found some that will
    > > work great, and I was able start modifying them.

    > In a day or so, you should be up to speed. Once there, you will never
    > look back.
    >
    > > So that's the way to go these days, huh? .css files and all. If so, I
    > > guess I'll start getting familiar with it.

    > 'Tis the way.
    >
    > > I dig the re-sizing depending on window size thing. That's the
    > > "fluid" part, yes?

    > That would be correct.

    Excellent answers. Thank you so much. I'm sold. It's good to be finally
    up to date.

    J. Muir, Dec 7, 2006