Advice for a python newbie on parsing whois records?

Phillip B Oldham

Hi. I'm stretching my boundaries in programming with a little python
shell-script which is going to loop through a list of domain names,
grab the whois record, parse it, and put the results into a csv.

I've got the results coming back fine, but since I have *no*
experience with python I'm wondering what would be the preferred
"pythonic" way of parsing the whois string into a csv record.

Tips/thoughts/examples more than welcome!

Lie

Hi. I'm stretching my boundaries in programming with a little python
shell-script which is going to loop through a list of domain names,
grab the whois record, parse it, and put the results into a csv.

I've got the results coming back fine, but since I have *no*
experience with python I'm wondering what would be the preferred
"pythonic" way of parsing the whois string into a csv record.

Tips/thoughts/examples more than welcome!

Generally, when doing a simple parsing you'd use re module (regular
expression).
More complex parsers would use pyparsing (3rd party module). I've
never used pyparsing myself though. You might download pyparsing
here:http://pyparsing.wikispaces.com/Download+and+Installation

Miki

Hello,
Hi. I'm stretching my boundaries in programming with a little python
shell-script which is going to loop through a list of domain names,
grab the whois record, parse it, and put the results into a csv.

I've got the results coming back fine, but since I have *no*
experience with python I'm wondering what would be the preferred
"pythonic" way of parsing the whois string into a csv record.

Tips/thoughts/examples more than welcome!

from os import popen
import re

find_record = re.compile("\s+([^:]+): (.*)\s*").match
for line in popen("whois google.com"):
match = find_record(line)
if not match:
continue
print "%s --> %s" % (match.groups()[0], match.groups()[1])

HTH,

Phillip B Oldham

Hello,
Hi. I'm stretching my boundaries in programming with a little python
shell-script which is going to loop through a list of domain names,
grab the whois record, parse it, and put the results into a csv.
I've got the results coming back fine, but since I have *no*
experience with python I'm wondering what would be the preferred
"pythonic" way of parsing the whois string into a csv record.
Tips/thoughts/examples more than welcome!

from os import popen
import re

find_record = re.compile("\s+([^:]+): (.*)\s*").match
for line in popen("whois google.com"):
match = find_record(line)
if not match:
continue
print "%s --> %s" % (match.groups()[0], match.groups()[1])

HTH,

OK, here's what I've got so far. I'm treating this as a learning
exercise, so the resulting file isn't so important as understanding
and thinking in python (although I believe the results are adequate
for my needs). I'd appreciate the community's comments as this is my
*first* attempt at python and has taken me a couple of hours
(including googling).

#!/usr/bin/env python
import subprocess
import re

src = open('./domains.txt')

dest = open('./whois.csv', 'w');

def trim( txt ):
x = []
for line in txt.split("\n"):
if line.strip() == "":
continue
if line.strip().startswith('WHOIS'):
continue
if line.strip().startswith('>>>'):
continue
if line.strip().startswith('%'):
continue
if line.startswith("--"):
return ''.join(x)
x.append(" "+line)
return "\n".join(x)

def clean( txt ):
x = []
isok = re.compile("^\s?([^:]+): ").match
for line in txt.split("\n"):
match = isok(line)
if not match:
continue
x.append(line)
return "\n".join(x);

def clean_co_uk( rec ):
rec = rec.replace('Company number:', 'Company number -')
rec = rec.replace("\n\n", "\n")
rec = rec.replace("\n", "")
rec = rec.replace(": ", ":\n")
rec = re.sub("([^(][a-zA-Z']+\s?[a-zA-Z]*:\n)", "\n\g<0>", rec)
rec = rec.replace(":\n", ": ")
rec = re.sub("^[ ]+\n", "", rec)
return rec

def clean_net( rec ):
rec = rec.replace("\n\n", "\n")
rec = rec.replace("\n", "")
rec = rec.replace(": ", ":\n")
rec = re.sub("([a-zA-Z']+\s?[a-zA-Z]*:\n)", "\n\g<0>", rec)
rec = rec.replace(":\n", ": ")
return rec

def clean_info( rec ):
x = []
for line in rec.split("\n"):
x.append(re.sub("^([^:]+):", "\g<0> ", line))
return "\n".join(x)

def record(domain, record):

## Records are as follows: [ domain, registrant, registrant's address
registrar, type, registered, renewal, updated name servers ]
details = ['','','','','','','','','']
for k, v in record.items():
try:
details[0] = domain.lower()
result = {
"registrant": lambda: 1,
"registrant name": lambda: 1,
"registrant type": lambda: 4,
"registrant's address": lambda: 2,
"registrant address1": lambda: 2,
"registrar": lambda: 3,
"sponsoring registrar": lambda: 3,
"registered on": lambda: 5,
"registered": lambda: 5,
"domain registeration date": lambda: 5,
"renewal date": lambda: 6,
"last updated": lambda: 7,
"domain last updated date": lambda: 7,
"name servers": lambda: 8,
"name server": lambda: 8,
"nameservers": lambda: 8,
"updated date": lambda: 7,
"creation date": lambda: 5,
"expiration date": lambda: 6,
"domain expiration date": lambda: 6,
"administrative contact": lambda: 2
}[k.lower()]()
if v != '':
details[result] = v
except:
continue

dest.write('|'.join(details)+"\n")

## Loop through domains
for domain in src:

domain = domain.strip()

if domain == '':
continue

rec = subprocess.Popen(["whois",domain],
stdout=subprocess.PIPE).communicate()[0]

if rec.startswith("No whois server") == True:
continue

if rec.startswith("This TLD has no whois server") == True:
continue

rec = trim(rec)

if domain.endswith(".net"):
rec = clean_net(rec)

if domain.endswith(".com"):
rec = clean_net(rec)

if domain.endswith(".tv"):
rec = clean_net(rec)

if domain.endswith(".co.uk"):
rec = clean_co_uk(rec)

if domain.endswith(".info"):
rec = clean_info(rec)

rec = clean(rec)

details = {}

try:
for line in rec.split("\n"):
bits = line.split(': ')
a = bits.pop(0)
b = bits.pop(0)
details[a.strip()] = b.strip().replace("\t", ", ")
except:
continue

record(domain, details)

src.close()