advice needed - what approach for sql access

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by KavvY, Jul 14, 2004.

  1. KavvY

    KavvY Guest

    After messing about I've made some headway towards getting a DataSet filled
    with data from an SQL database, unfortunately I've been advised that this
    isn't the way forward due to the overhead involved of filling the DataSet
    with every page access.

    So what method is prefereable to use?

    Am I supposed to create a DataAdapter that only fetches a certain query,
    dependant on what the users type in fields? Or am I supposed to use a
    DataSet in the same way?

    The book I bought is pretty useless in the respect that it focuses on the
    DataSet as the all-encompasing solution to all your needs. Which I debate
    TBH.

    All I want to do is execute SQL queries and put the results in to text
    boxes, then update the SQL tables with an update query afterwards....

    Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Rich.
    KavvY, Jul 14, 2004

  2. KavvY

    CT Guest

    One option is to cache the DataSet in the Session or ViewState. I can't tell
    how much data you're retrieving, but that obviously affects what is the
    "right" approach for you. If you need to display and update data, the
    DataSet is most likely your best choice. Are you extracting data from just
    one table, in which case you might just need the populate a DataTable object
    instead of a DataSet.

    --
    Carsten Thomsen
    Enterprise Development with VS .NET, UML, and MSF

    CT, Jul 17, 2004