    like a pros/cons about this language. Currently, I use C, C/C++, Java,
    Perl, Visual VB and was looking to see the usefulness of Python. Any
    suggestions?

    Alberto, Nov 13, 2004

  2. Alberto

    Steve Holden Guest

    Alberto wrote:

    > I was trying to understand the reasons why I should learn Python. More
    > like a pros/cons about this language. Currently, I use C, C/C++, Java,
    > Perl, Visual VB and was looking to see the usefulness of Python. Any
    > suggestions?

    Do some Googling, look at what Python can do, make your mind up.

    There's no point adding yet another language to the armory just for the
    sake of it, good though the new language might be.

    Think of problems that have been difficult to solve using your present
    toolset and see if you can find Python soltuions that seem to be more
    elegant. With your programming background you can learn enough Python in
    a long day's Googling to let you make your mind up.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    http://www.holdenweb.com
    http://pydish.holdenweb.com

    Steve Holden, Nov 13, 2004

  3. Alberto

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On 13 Nov 2004 07:54:57 -0800, Alberto <> wrote:
    > I was trying to understand the reasons why I should learn Python.

    Because it's fun!

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn@ Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
    \X/ algonet.se> R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

    Jorgen Grahn, Nov 13, 2004
  4. Alberto wrote:

    > I was trying to understand the reasons why I should learn Python. More
    > like a pros/cons about this language. Currently, I use C, C/C++, Java,
    > Perl, Visual VB and was looking to see the usefulness of Python. Any
    > suggestions?

    Well if you can do more things with python or if python enables you to do
    things on other platforms that you can't do now, then those would be good
    reasons. It's all really up to you and whether it will meet YOUR needs.
    Are you hitting walls in the languages you are using? Can you find
    oportunities in using Python? That's where you need to convice yourself.

    My reasons for python:
    Cross platform (very important for me)
    Inexpensive (very important for me and where I work)
    Has loads of hooks & libraries to do just about anything from web apps,
    games, printing, creadint PDFs, music, etc.
    Easily approachable, readable syntax (should be easier for others to take up
    my coding projects)
    Interfaces with MySQL (or other database)
    Integrated into apps like GIMP.

    Larry

    --
    01000011 01001100 01000001 01010011 01010011 01001001 01000011
    Larry Anderson - Sysop of Silicon Realms BBS (209) 754-1363 300-14.4k

    Larry Anderson, Nov 13, 2004
  5. "Alberto" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I was trying to understand the reasons why I should learn Python. More
    > like a pros/cons about this language. Currently, I use C, C/C++, Java,
    > Perl, Visual VB and was looking to see the usefulness of Python. Any
    > suggestions?

    Well if you have all those languages then I don't think there's any
    real reason to spend the time learning python. Except if a cooler
    object system, minimialistic syntax, and a groovy community are
    important to you then perhaps you should learn python.

    Chad Crabtree, Nov 13, 2004
  6. Alberto

    Matt Garman Guest

    On 13 Nov 2004 07:54:57 -0800, Alberto <> wrote:
    > I was trying to understand the reasons why I should learn Python.
    > More like a pros/cons about this language. Currently, I use C,
    > C/C++, Java, Perl, Visual VB and was looking to see the usefulness
    > of Python. Any suggestions?

    As others have suggested, the best thing you can really do is spend
    several hours with Google and some sample Python code and see how
    you like it.

    The reason I started getting into it is the following: I do most of
    my programming in C/C++. For me, the problem with those languages
    is that it takes relatively more code to do many tasks compared to
    Python. So if I'm working on something that I haven't thought all
    the way through, I find myself back-tracking from time to time.
    This can be *very* time-consuming in C/C++ (the trial-and-error
    method of programming). However, things can be developed so quickly
    in Python, that if you have to back-track, little time is lost.

    In a nutshell, I like and use Python for creating quick
    proof-of-concepts and as a development concepting tool. Although,
    most very high level languages (such as Perl and VB) are good for
    this too---so we're back to personal preference :)

    But also, for me, I enjoy learning new languages just for the sake
    of learning them. I think it's fun, and as another said, new
    languages usually teach you how to think about problems in a
    different way. I've benefitted from this language "cross
    pollination" many times---using another language's techniques and
    paradigms has helped me come up with elegant solutions on more than
    one occasion.

    At the end of the day, it's personal preference... but if you can
    spare the time, and enjoy learning and playing with new languages,
    why not learn Python?

    Matt

    --
    Matt Garman
    email at: http://raw-sewage.net/index.php?file=email

    Matt Garman, Nov 13, 2004
  7. Alberto

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On 13 Nov 2004 14:02:08 -0800, Chad Crabtree <> wrote:
    > "Alberto" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> I was trying to understand the reasons why I should learn Python. More
    >> like a pros/cons about this language. Currently, I use C, C/C++, Java,
    >> Perl, Visual VB and was looking to see the usefulness of Python. Any
    >> suggestions?

    > Well if you have all those languages then I don't think there's any
    > real reason to spend the time learning python. Except if a cooler
    > object system, minimialistic syntax, and a groovy community are
    > important to you then perhaps you should learn python.

    IMHO there are always reasons to learn new languages, especially if they are
    as simple as Python. Could be hard though if all the OP's work is closely
    tied to the languages on the list above (Java seems especially good at
    building a whole Java-only world around it). Some openings I see:

    - There's no language with dynamic typing on his list (except maybe C++
    templates and advanced Perl, if the OP is into that).
    - There's no language that's easily embedded as an internal scripting
    language in the OP's list.
    - If the OP doesn't really know Perl all that well, Python is a better
    fit for most perlish things.

    /Jorgen

    Jorgen Grahn, Nov 14, 2004
  8. On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 16:57:41 +0000 (GMT), Premshree Pillai
    <> declaimed the following in
    comp.lang.python:

    > I'm not sure where I heard the following, but I've
    > heard it:
    > "If God did OOP, he'd do it in Python."

    Good thing that's a conditional statement...

    http://songworm.com/lyrics/songworm-parody/EternalFlame.html

    Unfortunately all the links for the online mp3 seem dead and
    circular.

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Nov 14, 2004