Advice needed

Alberto

I was trying to understand the reasons why I should learn Python. More
like a pros/cons about this language. Currently, I use C, C/C++, Java,
Perl, Visual VB and was looking to see the usefulness of Python. Any
suggestions?

Steve Holden

Alberto said:
I was trying to understand the reasons why I should learn Python. More
like a pros/cons about this language. Currently, I use C, C/C++, Java,
Perl, Visual VB and was looking to see the usefulness of Python. Any
suggestions?
Do some Googling, look at what Python can do, make your mind up.

There's no point adding yet another language to the armory just for the
sake of it, good though the new language might be.

Think of problems that have been difficult to solve using your present
toolset and see if you can find Python soltuions that seem to be more
elegant. With your programming background you can learn enough Python in
a long day's Googling to let you make your mind up.

regards
Steve

Larry Anderson

Alberto said:
I was trying to understand the reasons why I should learn Python. More
like a pros/cons about this language. Currently, I use C, C/C++, Java,
Perl, Visual VB and was looking to see the usefulness of Python. Any
suggestions?

Well if you can do more things with python or if python enables you to do
things on other platforms that you can't do now, then those would be good
reasons. It's all really up to you and whether it will meet YOUR needs.
Are you hitting walls in the languages you are using? Can you find
oportunities in using Python? That's where you need to convice yourself.

My reasons for python:
Cross platform (very important for me)
Inexpensive (very important for me and where I work)
Has loads of hooks & libraries to do just about anything from web apps,
games, printing, creadint PDFs, music, etc.
Easily approachable, readable syntax (should be easier for others to take up
my coding projects)
Interfaces with MySQL (or other database)
Integrated into apps like GIMP.

Larry

Chad Crabtree

Alberto said:
I was trying to understand the reasons why I should learn Python. More
like a pros/cons about this language. Currently, I use C, C/C++, Java,
Perl, Visual VB and was looking to see the usefulness of Python. Any
suggestions?

Well if you have all those languages then I don't think there's any
real reason to spend the time learning python. Except if a cooler
object system, minimialistic syntax, and a groovy community are
important to you then perhaps you should learn python.

Matt Garman

I was trying to understand the reasons why I should learn Python.
More like a pros/cons about this language. Currently, I use C,
C/C++, Java, Perl, Visual VB and was looking to see the usefulness
of Python. Any suggestions?

As others have suggested, the best thing you can really do is spend
several hours with Google and some sample Python code and see how
you like it.

The reason I started getting into it is the following: I do most of
my programming in C/C++. For me, the problem with those languages
is that it takes relatively more code to do many tasks compared to
Python. So if I'm working on something that I haven't thought all
the way through, I find myself back-tracking from time to time.
This can be *very* time-consuming in C/C++ (the trial-and-error
method of programming). However, things can be developed so quickly
in Python, that if you have to back-track, little time is lost.

In a nutshell, I like and use Python for creating quick
proof-of-concepts and as a development concepting tool. Although,
most very high level languages (such as Perl and VB) are good for
this too---so we're back to personal preference :)

But also, for me, I enjoy learning new languages just for the sake
of learning them. I think it's fun, and as another said, new
languages usually teach you how to think about problems in a
different way. I've benefitted from this language "cross
pollination" many times---using another language's techniques and
paradigms has helped me come up with elegant solutions on more than
one occasion.

At the end of the day, it's personal preference... but if you can
spare the time, and enjoy learning and playing with new languages,
why not learn Python?

Matt

Jorgen Grahn

Well if you have all those languages then I don't think there's any
real reason to spend the time learning python. Except if a cooler
object system, minimialistic syntax, and a groovy community are
important to you then perhaps you should learn python.

IMHO there are always reasons to learn new languages, especially if they are
as simple as Python. Could be hard though if all the OP's work is closely
tied to the languages on the list above (Java seems especially good at
building a whole Java-only world around it). Some openings I see:

- There's no language with dynamic typing on his list (except maybe C++
templates and advanced Perl, if the OP is into that).
- There's no language that's easily embedded as an internal scripting
language in the OP's list.
- If the OP doesn't really know Perl all that well, Python is a better
fit for most perlish things.

/Jorgen