    database but just add it to the Web service... I just don't have the
    language at my finger tips

    Thank you in advance

    Stephen, Nov 17, 2003

  2. ..NET does all the hard stuff for you.
    From VS.NET start a new project type of "ASP.NET Web Service." Then insert
    your code.
    So you basically just write your function and let .NET expose it as a web
    service for you.
    Here's more info:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservic...tartedwithxmlwebservicesinvisualstudionet.asp
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Nov 17, 2003

  3. Stephen

    S Ellen Guest

    Thanks you Steve.. I should have been more specific.. it is the code
    that I need to insert that is what is giving me difficulty:) I know it
    must be easy.. but I am not a formal developer...

    S Ellen, Nov 17, 2003
  4. I'd suggest passing a DataSet to the web service to use for your comparison.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Nov 17, 2003
  5. Stephen

    S Ellen Guest

    Exactly what i was thinking.. I know you must be getting to that point
    of "what is up with this guy..." etc..

    What i Have done is reubuilt the dataset I used to display within the
    application.. now I know I should be able to reuse the original
    dataset... (inheritance being the sexy thing about .net ).

    But what i Have is as follows:

    using System;
    using System.Collections;
    using System.ComponentModel;
    using System.Data;
    using System.Data.OleDb;
    using System.Diagnostics;
    using System.Web;
    using System.Web.Services;

    namespace IASTC_GAIHR
    {
    /// <summary>
    /// Summary description for wsPerson.
    /// </summary>

    public class wsPerson : System.Web.Services.WebService
    {
    public wsPerson()

    {
    //CODEGEN: This call is required by the ASP.NET Web Services Designer
    InitializeComponent();

    }
    [WebMethod]
    public DataSet personList()
    {
    string commandString = "Select * from tr_prsn";
    string connectionString = "provider=Microsoft.JET.OLEDB.4.0; "
    + "data source = c:\\Inetpub/wwwroot/IASTC_GAIHR/DB/StrawManDB.mdb";
    OleDbDataAdapter wsDataAdapter = new
    OleDbDataAdapter(commandString,connectionString);

    DataSet dsWSDataSet = new DataSet();
    wsDataAdapter.Fill(dsWSDataSet,"Persons");

    }

    Right now I am getting ablue squiggly under the personlist saying "Not
    all code paths return a value:" presumably this is talking about the
    fact htat i am not retuning anything to the caller of the method
    (class?).. thanks again for your help

    S Ellen, Nov 17, 2003