Advice on best approach

Guest

Hello I'm fairly new to ASP.NET and need your advice,
I need to display monthly/weekly table information on the same page. The
user should be able to select first from a month (from a month link inside
the table) and then the weekly information should appear on another table on
the same page.
The advice I need is not so much on how the data should bind (I tackled that
one so far), but rather the web control object I should use for presentation.
I tried the <asp: table> object, but after I construct the table I can't seem
to access an <asp: linkbutton> I add to the cell (month). Would a DataGrid be
the better aproach? will it let me access a link header in a cell to make my
weekly table visible?
Thanks for your patience,
Manny.

Arthur Dent

Yeah, the asp:table control is all but useless as near i can see. For a
plain table, the Table control under the HTML toolbox is Much better.
However, for data bound table type stuff.... you cant beat the datagrid. It
is almost ENDlessly customizable between template columns and handling the
ItemDataBound event. When you do occassionally need something more flexible,
you can use the Repeater. The datagrid is also of course fully extensible,
and there are any number of articles showing how to add advanced
functionality to it.

Guest

Thanks Arthur for your advice, I will look into the DataGrid and see if it
resolves my issue.