Advice on 'breaking into' the ASP.NET world for an experienced swdevel

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Bob Robertson, Aug 11, 2005.

  1. Hey guys, I am an experienced sw developer (8+ yrs) with a pretty broad
    background. I know C/C++ very well, have had a decent amount of
    embedded experience, have had quite a bit of Linux app development
    experience, as well as some core java development experience (swing
    apps-no enterprise), and some win32/MFC app development experience. In
    the past year I have been on a contract developing exclusively with
    C#/.NET (windows forms and a bit of ADO.NET). All of my experience has
    been with classic 'engineering' engineering companies.
    I had been getting really psyched about moving into the C#/.NET world
    UNTIL I started looking at the job postings. It appears that the vast
    majority of jobs requiring C# also require ASP.NET (and many times
    database design/maintenance). I have done some home projects in
    ASP.NET, but nothing on a 'real' job. For me, it appears the writing is
    on the wall...if I want to continue in .NET, I REALLY need to break into
    the ASP.NET world and get some real experience in the technology. My
    question for you folks is, how would you best approach it? How can I
    maximize my chances of getting into the field? I have been studying my
    ass off for the past two weeks (books and small projects), but I know
    without real experience it's still is going to be tough. How should I
    pitch myself to headhunters? What about interviews? I was thinking
    that I may need to start dropping my rate or consider a jr level full
    time position just to get this under my belt. Ideas? Any advice is
    appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Bob

    Bob Robertson, Aug 11, 2005

  2. Bob Robertson

    tom pester Guest

    Re: Advice on 'breaking into' the ASP.NET world for an experienced sw devel

    I think its a catch 22 problem. You need a few real life projects to get
    productive but with your background thats all you need I think.
    Lower your demands maybe and get realy dirty in .NET cause as you know there
    is a big difference between pet projects and projects that must satisfy a
    community.
    That's all the advice I can give you sry.

    Cheers,
    Tom Pester

    tom pester, Aug 11, 2005

  3. Re: Advice on 'breaking into' the ASP.NET world for an experienced sw devel

    Tom is probably right. I should mention, however, that there are other .Net
    jobs available, but you may have to be willing to relocate. Still, .Net is
    quite networking-heavy, at least in terms of business usage, although it is
    perfectly suitable for any type of application development. I have been
    fortunate to hold a job which involves doing every kind of .Net project that
    can be done, but it does indeed include ASP.Net.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    Everybody picks their nose,
    But some people are better at hiding it.

    Kevin Spencer, Aug 11, 2005