    you need to watch out for:"

    Thanks in advance,
    Ian.

    Ian, Feb 11, 2005

  2. "Ian" <> writes:
    > Does a document exist with the outline below? If so please point me to
    > it... If not, any help would be appreciated:
    >
    > "So, you wrote some object-oriented perl packages and you used hashes
    > for all your objects because your boss wanted results and you stopped
    > reading at page 125 of Conway. Now you found that your code runs
    > horribly slowly and you should have used pseudo-hashes and the 'fields'
    > pragma, but it looks like there's a lot to learn, and you're nervous
    > about trying to convert this code. Here's what to do, and the things
    > you need to watch out for:"

    I don't know, but the text below (from perldiag) would rather make me
    nervous if I had used pseudo-hashes (thanks for giving me an
    opportunity to learn what they are):

    =item Pseudo-hashes are deprecated

    (D deprecated) Pseudo-hashes were deprecated in Perl 5.8.0 and they
    will be removed in Perl 5.10.0, see L<perl58delta> for more details.
    You can continue to use the C<fields> pragma.

    Arndt Jonasson, Feb 11, 2005

  3. Ian

    Ian Guest

    <gulp> ... Thanks for the warning! It is a bit worrying that I was
    about to "upgrade" to a deprecated feature. I hope that I can
    future-proof the code under 5.6.1 as well as speed it up. I'm using
    perl 5.6.1 because it's the only one supported at my site. I hope there
    will be a new edition of Conway's "Object Oriented Perl" if there isn't
    one already. - Regards, Ian.

    Ian, Feb 11, 2005
  4. Ian

    Guest

    "Ian" <> wrote:
    > <gulp> ... Thanks for the warning! It is a bit worrying that I was
    > about to "upgrade" to a deprecated feature. I hope that I can
    > future-proof the code under 5.6.1 as well as speed it up. I'm using
    > perl 5.6.1 because it's the only one supported at my site. I hope there
    > will be a new edition of Conway's "Object Oriented Perl" if there isn't
    > one already. - Regards, Ian.

    They probably wouldn't have speeded your program up noticably anyway.
    Have you profiled it to see where it spends its time?

    Xho

    Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

    , Feb 12, 2005