Advice on Data Warehouse & Web Reporting

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by C4rtm4N, Oct 10, 2006.

  1. C4rtm4N

    C4rtm4N Guest

    I'm about to embark on re-writing a database & bespoke web reporting
    application for our call centre & would like a little advice please.

    Currently the database has 10 tables containing summaried (<=1 record
    per staff member per day) data from different legacy systems,
    populated by DTS. There is an 11th table that has staff data in which
    is used to link the others together as many have different primary
    keys. After the data has been linked together an aggregated table (1
    record per person per day) is created once a day.

    Currently our intranet site is configured to run a number of stored
    procedures that return KPI data from the aggregated table into
    datasets which are then rendered in the form of datagrids. Users are
    either allowed to specify the parameters for these stored procedures
    or they are pre-determined for them depending on who they are (eg
    agents in the call centre all see a MTD report for themselves only).

    The aim of the re-write is to
    (a) cut down on admin when KPI definitions change
    (b) make the setup much more generic so that it could be transported
    to other areas of the business or even to different companies with
    minimum rework
    (c) upgrade from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005
    (d) tidy the webpages a little & maybe add some gauge type controls

    I'm unsure about 2 things -
    (1) Should I totally re-design things & use Analysis Services instead
    or would I find no benefit as everyone is only given one view of the
    truth (ie no slicing & dicing depending upon preference)? I know very
    little about this service so it would be a challenge & from what I've
    read I'm not so sure whether it would be appropriate for all of the
    staff querying the database constantly anyway(there are over 500 of
    them & currently the stored procedures use nested temp tables to
    calculate everything that needs to be shown on the webpages). I guess
    that I couldn't fill a datagrid with their data using this method
    either but I'm sure that someone will be able to keep me right.

    (2) Should I dump the datagrids in favour of Reporting Services? This
    was originally not used as our IT department could get it installed
    properly on the SQL 2000 server & the datagrid solution was found to
    be both adequate & easy to setup. We have Crystal Reports in the
    company also but licence costs are likely to be a problem.

    Hope I haven't upset anyone by crossposting the question - I'm just
    after a balanced view before I start work & the queries fit with a few
    different ng's.

    TIA

    Steve
    C4rtm4N, Oct 10, 2006

  2. C4rtm4N

    Guest

    I think that AS is more important; more critical-- than RS.

    there are other tools like RS on the market.
    but AS leads the market by a wide margin.

    Does that mean it's EASY? no. Does it mean it's SIMPLE? no.

    I would reccomend taking a month off of work; immersing yourself in
    SSAS and coming back to work to scrap all your existing DB work.

    10 million relational developers CAN be wrong and they are.
    It's better to build a solution for non technical people-- SSAS is best
    utilized using OWC - Office Web Components- and non-technical people...

    All of your relational mess just sounds overly complicated.

    -Aaron

    , Oct 13, 2006