Advice on promoting my website

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Walter, Dec 1, 2005.

  1. Walter

    Walter Guest

    Hiya,

    I've been considering different ways to promote my site, and need help
    brainstorming. So far, I've been using fairly traditional methods:

    1) registering the site with search engines
    2) engaging in link-exchanges
    3) posting adverts when appropriate
    4) adding the URL to my mail signature
    5) pestering friends and family to use and promote the site, and
    6) posting the URL in dubious usenet questions like "Advice on
    promoting my website"

    The main problem I see with promoting it is that it is a service
    targeted at people who probably don't know they need it, or that
    something like it even exists (it's a URL shortening service). Thus,
    getting good positioning on search engines doesn't help much.

    Would it be worthwhile paying for ads, say via Google AdSense? Or are
    there other avenues I'm missing? How patient should I be? Four weeks
    in, and visits to the site are tepid, at best.

    Anyway, thanks in advance for your input,

    Walter
    http://linkfrog.net
    URL Shortening
    Free and easy, small and green.
    Walter

    Walter, Dec 1, 2005

  2. Walter

    Antigravity Guest

    You can always try mailings, make sure that they are not spam.
    Affiliation to another company.
    Newsletters.
    Traditional advertising in mags or newspapers.
    One that i like the thought of but am still thinking of an idea is some
    publicity stunt. You could always hang yourself upside down from the
    local town hall and invite the local media. Make sure you are wearing
    something with your site URL ;-)

    Antigravity, Dec 1, 2005

  3. Antigravity wrote:
    > You can always try mailings, make sure that they are not spam.

    Wouldn't any unsolicited email you sent out promoting your website have
    the appearance of spam?

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Dec 1, 2005
  4. Walter

    Guest

    What if they were *nice* e-mails? Say, with lots of smiley faces? :)

    Walter Gildersleeve
    Freiburg, Germany

    http://linkfrog.net
    URL Shortening
    Free and easy, small and green.

    , Dec 1, 2005
  5. Walter

    Matt Probert Guest

    On 1 Dec 2005 02:37:39 -0800, "Walter" <>
    wrote:

    > The main problem I see with promoting it is that it is a service
    > targeted at people who probably don't know they need it, or that
    > something like it even exists (it's a URL shortening service). Thus,
    > getting good positioning on search engines doesn't help much.

    May I be brutal?

    URL shortening is as much use to me as an ash try mounted upon a
    motorbike. I see no purpose for such a site, a complete waste of time
    and effort.

    Sometimes in business we have bad ideas, ask Sir Clive Sinclair about
    his electric bicycle, and just have to shrug our shoulders and move
    on.

    Matt

    --
    The Probert Encyclopaedia - Beyond Britannica
    http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com

    Matt Probert, Dec 1, 2005
  6. Walter

    Matt Probert Guest

    On 1 Dec 2005 04:37:04 -0800, "Travis Newbury"
    <> wrote:

    > Antigravity wrote:
    > > You can always try mailings, make sure that they are not spam.

    > Wouldn't any unsolicited email you sent out promoting your website have
    > the appearance of spam?

    Not if you use physical mail and attach them to tins of sardines.
    Though true the recipients would still find them a bit fishy....

    Matt

    Matt Probert, Dec 1, 2005
  7. Walter

    Walter Guest

    > May I be brutal?

    No.

    > URL shortening is as much use to me as an ash try mounted upon a
    > motorbike. I see no purpose for such a site, a complete waste of time
    > and effort.

    Okay, since you're going to be brutal anyway...

    I've certainly seriously considered what you're saying, and in the end,
    the site may prove a flop. But a quick quote may help here:

    > Making long URLs useable! ... Over 220 million hits/month.

    >From http://tinyurl.com, the best and one of the first URL shortening

    services. If I could cash in on a bit of this--say, 1mil hits + 10,000
    actual page views per month, I would be a happy camper.

    As for purpose, do you belong to any mailing groups? I'm a member of a
    few Yahoo groups, which still eclusively send text-based mails. Links
    that're too long break.

    So thanks for your 2 bits, it was tough love, I know. But I think I'll
    continue promoting the site nonetheless.

    Walter, Dec 1, 2005
  8. Writing in news:alt.www.webmaster,alt.html
    From the safety of the http://groups.google.com cafeteria
    Walter <> said:

    > Hiya,

    How do yuo do?

    > I've been considering different ways to promote my site, and need help
    > brainstorming...

    don't forget the "no-news is news" angle.

    Solid Performance for Firefox Download Site:
    http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2005/11/30/solid_performance_for_firefox_download_site.html

    No news there - but still a news item "suddenly today, nothing happened"

    --
    William Tasso

    Save the drama
    for your Mama.

    William Tasso, Dec 1, 2005
  9. Walter

    Antigravity Guest

    Well the keyword is unsolicited. You really want to avoid getting in a
    wrangle with one of the self appointed Spam Cops as it can be a
    nightmare (or at least it was a couple of years ago). However, you can
    buy mailing lists pretty cheaply these days and as long as the targets
    are relevant and have legitimately signed up for the mailings you
    should be ok. Another option is to place an add on a popular newsletter
    in a relavant field.

    Antigravity, Dec 1, 2005
  10. Martin Harran, Dec 1, 2005
  11. Walter

    Auggie Guest

    "Walter" <> wrote in message
    > Hiya,
    >
    > I've been considering different ways to promote my site, and need help
    > brainstorming. So far, I've been using fairly traditional methods:
    >
    > 1) registering the site with search engines
    > 2) engaging in link-exchanges
    > 3) posting adverts when appropriate
    > 4) adding the URL to my mail signature
    > 5) pestering friends and family to use and promote the site, and
    > 6) posting the URL in dubious usenet questions like "Advice on
    > promoting my website"
    >
    > The main problem I see with promoting it is that it is a service
    > targeted at people who probably don't know they need it, or that
    > something like it even exists (it's a URL shortening service). Thus,
    > getting good positioning on search engines doesn't help much.
    >
    > Would it be worthwhile paying for ads, say via Google AdSense? Or are
    > there other avenues I'm missing? How patient should I be? Four weeks
    > in, and visits to the site are tepid, at best.

    First off... A month in is a pretty limited time frame. Definitly going to
    need abit more time for word to spread and search engines to index and place
    your site.

    For the service you are offering this is probably going to be one of those
    things where the best marketing of the service will be through its actual
    use by the end users.

    In thinking about the other services out there... TinyURL, MakeAShorterLink,
    etc... I've seen them and I've used them, but I've never Googled for such a
    service and I've never seen an ad marketing such a service.

    I think if I was trying to push and promote a service like this what I might
    do is subscribe to a bunch of usenet groups where there is alot of
    discussion and links being exchanged and then look for posts like:

    "
    Hey, here is the link to that information you wanted:
    http://www.google.com/search?source...:2005-28,GGLG:en&q=how to make a shorter link
    "

    and then maybe follow up with them using your service with something like:
    "
    > Hey, here is the link to that information you wanted:

    http://www.google.com/search?source...:2005-28,GGLG:en&q=how to make a shorter link

    If you couldn't get the above link to work, try:
    http://linkfrog.net/daax
    "

    The big thing here is that you want to have your posts be actually helpful,
    not just an excuse to get your link out there and you probably shouldn't be
    following it up with a .sig thats pushing the URL as well.

    A Note:
    To do the above example I used your site to shorten the google search to the
    http://linkfrog.net/daax

    A problem I found was that after I got the shortened link above, I wanted to
    copy and paste it into this usenet posting and because of how your page is
    setup I couldn't. I could CLICK on the link, but I couldn't just highlight
    the text and then right click the mouse to COPY it.

    So in order to put the above example in, I had to paste the URL into your
    text box... create the link... then I had to actually type out the whole:
    http://linkfrog.net/ and then enter the code "daax" myself.

    For that I would say look at how MakeAShorterLink.com does it... it creates
    a link but you can still highlight it. Because you put the link in a box (I
    didn't check if it was a DIV or a table cell or what) I can't get the mouse
    in there, or if I do it copies the entire contents of the page from the link
    to the bottom of the page.

    A Second Note:
    For a service like this, or for a service where you want people to try and
    remember the name on their own or spready through word of mouth and usage,
    you should seriously consider getting a .com domain name.

    Even myself, after reading your signature and wanting to use your service in
    the above example, I remembered already that your service name was
    "linkfrog" and when I went to IE I keyed in "linkfrog.com" and when I got a
    dead link I had to come back and check your email to see that you had a .net
    domain name.

    You probably want something short, but even looking at
    www.makeashorterlink.com that isn't very short and its not just one or two
    words (its 4 words long), but it is easy to remember and its a .com

    Auggie, Dec 1, 2005
  12. Walter

    Walter Guest

    Hey Auggie,

    Thanks for the great feedback. I hadn't really thought about
    highlighting the new link--figured people could simply right-click and
    copy it. And I've the problem that I develop using Firefox, which
    handles that sort of thing better. Not that I don't test with IE, but
    obviously not enough. I'll have to see how I can best do it so that
    both are possible.

    Unfortunately, linkfrog.com was already taken. The fact of the matter
    is, I got the URL first and thought of the idea later. Kinda liked the
    connection between leap-frog --> linkfrog and linking. It may be
    worthwhile finding a more appropriate URL, though.

    Anyway, thanks again for the response.

    Walter, Dec 1, 2005
  13. Walter

    rf Guest

    Antigravity wrote:

    > Well the keyword is unsolicited. You really want to avoid getting in a
    > wrangle with one of the self appointed Spam Cops as it can be a
    > nightmare (or at least it was a couple of years ago). However, you can
    > buy mailing lists pretty cheaply these days and as long as the targets
    > are relevant and have legitimately signed up for the mailings you
    > should be ok.

    In Australia that would be totally illegal. One cannot *buy* mailing lists
    here.

    --
    Cheers, Richard.

    rf, Dec 1, 2005
  14. Walter

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Walter wrote:

    > From http://tinyurl.com, the best and one of the first URL shortening
    > services.

    fly.to has been around for about eight years; tinyurl.com roughly three.
    TinyURL.com was different from its predecessors though, in that it was
    targetted at *visitors* rather than authors.

    fly.to (and various other domains owned by the same company, which got
    bought up by V3, which got bought up by FortuneCity) allowed website
    authors to create a more memorable (and usually shorter) permanent URL for
    their site, back when most people were using ISP space, Geocities,
    Angelfire and the like.

    http://fly.to/me -> http://users.myisp.com/~me/pages/

    tinyurl.com creates some very short URLs, but they're not necessarily any
    more memorable:

    http://tinyurl.com/5nd7w -> http://www.jrhartley.com/books/flyfishing/

    Such URLs are not usually used by the website author, but by website
    visitors to send long URLs by e-mail, or to cloak the real address behind
    a link.

    Your site combines the best of both. Use that as your selling point.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Dec 1, 2005
  15. Walter

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Antigravity quothed:

    > You can always try mailings, make sure that they are not spam.
    > Affiliation to another company.
    > Newsletters.
    > Traditional advertising in mags or newspapers.
    > One that i like the thought of but am still thinking of an idea is some
    > publicity stunt. You could always hang yourself upside down from the
    > local town hall and invite the local media. Make sure you are wearing
    > something with your site URL ;-)

    Uh, that would be less-than impressive for an antigravitic person.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Dec 2, 2005
  16. Walter

    Carol W Guest

    On 1 Dec 2005 10:40:35 -0800, "Walter" <>
    wrote:

    >Hey Auggie,
    >
    >Thanks for the great feedback. I hadn't really thought about
    >highlighting the new link--figured people could simply right-click and
    >copy it. And I've the problem that I develop using Firefox, which
    >handles that sort of thing better. Not that I don't test with IE, but
    >obviously not enough. I'll have to see how I can best do it so that
    >both are possible.
    >
    >Unfortunately, linkfrog.com was already taken. The fact of the matter
    >is, I got the URL first and thought of the idea later. Kinda liked the
    >connection between leap-frog --> linkfrog and linking. It may be
    >worthwhile finding a more appropriate URL, though.

    May consider places that will register the .com version for you
    if/when it comes available. Then you could point the .com variant ot
    the .net (already promoted) site.

    Carol

    Carol W, Dec 3, 2005