    Thanks

    NET Resource
    http://v4.livegate.net/netresource

    NET Resource, Feb 15, 2004

  2. NET Resource

    Augustus Guest

    "NET Resource" <a@.com> wrote in message
    news:c0oiti$2er$...
    > http://v4.livegate.net/netresource
    >
    > Above is my website - the index page is nearly 100kb now excluding jpegs
    > etc.. What should the biggest page size be ideally for an index page - if

    > split the links down into catagories how should I navigate the site / lay
    > the index page out etc... Any advice form the experts is gladly received.

    Why don't you break the page down?

    Instead of having all the categories PLUS their content on the home page...
    why don't you just list the categories... or even include the top 3 to 5
    items in the category if you still want to provide links... kind of like:

    CATEGORY 1 <-- this being a link to the page with all the items from this
    category on it
    <brief writeup if you want some SEO content>
    [link 1]
    [link 2]
    [link 3]
    [link 4]
    [link 5]
    [MORE...] <-- this being a link to the page with more items from this
    category

    etc...

    Augustus, Feb 15, 2004

  3. NET Resource

    Paul Furman Guest

    I kind of like it all on one page like that but you do need an index at
    the top that jumps people down the page.

    The size of the html can be reduced a lot by using a single CSS style
    sheet. The following is repeated about 50 times (for each listing):

    <th bgcolor="#000000" width="325" style="border-style: solid;
    border-width: 2; padding-top: 0">
    <th bgcolor="#000000" width="365" style="border-style: solid;
    border-width: 2; padding-top: 0">
    size="2">Description</font></th>

    You could make a livegate.css file that lists those things then use find
    & replace to cut them down dramatically. Basically you'd define a style
    for the default body with white text & blue background and then you
    don't even need to say anything special in the html to get that look.
    Then define a table & td style with all the fonts and borders you want
    and call it like:

    <th class="main">
    Website
    </th>

    http://www.techsupportdude.com

    The CSS file might looks something like this:

    table.main{
    }

    th.main{
    }

    td.main{
    background-color: #000000;
    width: 325;
    border-style: solid;
    border-width: 2;
    padding-top: 0;
    }

    Paul Furman, Feb 15, 2004
  4. NET Resource

    Richard Guest

    NET Resource wrote:

    > http://v4.livegate.net/netresource

    > Above is my website - the index page is nearly 100kb now excluding jpegs
    > etc.. What should the biggest page size be ideally for an index page -
    > if I split the links down into catagories how should I navigate the site
    > / lay the index page out etc... Any advice form the experts is gladly
    > received.

    > Thanks

    > NET Resource
    > http://v4.livegate.net/netresource

    Nothing wrong with the layout or size.
    Since it's mainly text, it loads quicker.
    The way you present it eliminates the need of menus and other pages.
    If you decide to expand it, then you'd probably use a menu.

    Richard, Feb 15, 2004
  5. NET Resource wrote:

    > What should the biggest page size be ideally for an index page

    30KB including images, style sheets and scripts.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Feb 15, 2004
  6. In article <c0oiti$2er$>, a@.com says...
    > http://v4.livegate.net/netresource
    >
    > Above is my website - the index page is nearly 100kb now excluding jpegs
    > etc.. What should the biggest page size be ideally for an index page - if I
    > split the links down into catagories how should I navigate the site / lay
    > the index page out etc... Any advice form the experts is gladly received.

    You've already categorised the page, why not move each category to its
    own page? Re-do the page with CSS, too. All that FrontPage table crap
    is awful.

    Is the "Adult Friend Finder" banner ("world's largest sex personals")
    appropriate?

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Feb 15, 2004
  7. NET Resource wrote:

    > http://v4.livegate.net/netresource
    >
    > Above is my website - the index page is nearly 100kb now excluding jpegs
    > etc.. What should the biggest page size be ideally for an index page - if I
    > split the links down into catagories how should I navigate the site / lay
    > the index page out etc... Any advice form the experts is gladly received.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > NET Resource
    > http://v4.livegate.net/netresource

    that is your problem, right there.