Advice request for project

Discussion in 'Python' started by John French, Jan 2, 2005.

  1. John French

    John French Guest

    I've been interested in Python for a while now but haven't had an
    opportunity to use / learn it. I'm tasked now with a project at work that
    might be my first opportunity.

    I have to write a ~75 concurrent user document storage app. that allows
    users to scan documents from locally attached scanners and save to a
    database for retrieval. I also need to be able to call MS Word with
    templates and allow the user to save the file to the database. I think I
    understand that I can interface MS COM for these, correct?

    My interest is in using FreeBSD/Postgresql/Python as a back end and a Python
    GUI app on the XP workstations. I'm going to end up adding some
    non-database functionality to the project in the future that precludes only
    using odbc to the database. I'll likely end up with some form of inter-user
    messaging being incorporated before it's over. Is it better to write one
    server side socket app to handle everything or start via odbc and necessary
    server side apps later? If anyone can tell me if this project seems
    appropriate to Python and offer suggestions as to an initial architecture,
    I'd appreciate it. I'm quite interested in the RAD aspect of the language
    but quite lost at the moment. (I did just sign up for the Tutor mailing
    list).

    Thanks in Advance
     
    John French, Jan 2, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. John French

    Steve Holden Guest

    John French wrote:

    > I've been interested in Python for a while now but haven't had an
    > opportunity to use / learn it. I'm tasked now with a project at work that
    > might be my first opportunity.
    >
    > I have to write a ~75 concurrent user document storage app. that allows
    > users to scan documents from locally attached scanners and save to a
    > database for retrieval. I also need to be able to call MS Word with
    > templates and allow the user to save the file to the database. I think I
    > understand that I can interface MS COM for these, correct?
    >
    > My interest is in using FreeBSD/Postgresql/Python as a back end and a Python
    > GUI app on the XP workstations. I'm going to end up adding some
    > non-database functionality to the project in the future that precludes only
    > using odbc to the database. I'll likely end up with some form of inter-user
    > messaging being incorporated before it's over. Is it better to write one
    > server side socket app to handle everything or start via odbc and necessary
    > server side apps later? If anyone can tell me if this project seems
    > appropriate to Python and offer suggestions as to an initial architecture,
    > I'd appreciate it. I'm quite interested in the RAD aspect of the language
    > but quite lost at the moment. (I did just sign up for the Tutor mailing
    > list).
    >

    It sounds like an ideal project, and either approach would work. The
    advantage to avoiding ODBC is that you won't experience any non-local
    driver limitations which might or might not otherwise bite you in the
    ass (my PostgreSQL experience is rather limited).

    Look at the Pyrex package to get you started thinking about remote
    execution and client/server communications. This lets a program on one
    machine call methods on objects on another machine.

    I'm sure you'll get other suggestions as well, but that'll get you
    started thinking pythonically.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden http://www.holdenweb.com/
    Python Web Programming http://pydish.holdenweb.com/
    Holden Web LLC +1 703 861 4237 +1 800 494 3119
     
    Steve Holden, Jan 3, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. John French

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Steve Holden wrote:
    > Look at the Pyrex package to get you started thinking about remote
    > execution and client/server communications. This lets a program on one
    > machine call methods on objects on another machine.


    Steve meant to say "Pyro", not "Pyrex". The former is what
    he actually described. The latter is actually a Python-like
    language that lets one write code that can be compiled as
    an extension module, to write performance-critical code or
    interface to existing libraries more easily.

    -Peter
     
    Peter Hansen, Jan 3, 2005
    #3
  4. John French

    Steve Holden Guest

    Peter Hansen wrote:

    > Steve Holden wrote:
    >
    >> Look at the Pyrex package to get you started thinking about remote
    >> execution and client/server communications. This lets a program on one
    >> machine call methods on objects on another machine.

    >
    >
    > Steve meant to say "Pyro", not "Pyrex". The former is what
    > he actually described. The latter is actually a Python-like
    > language that lets one write code that can be compiled as
    > an extension module, to write performance-critical code or
    > interface to existing libraries more easily.
    >
    >

    Correct, Python Remote Objects is indeed what I meant. Thanks, Peter.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden http://www.holdenweb.com/
    Python Web Programming http://pydish.holdenweb.com/
    Holden Web LLC +1 703 861 4237 +1 800 494 3119
     
    Steve Holden, Jan 4, 2005
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Brian Birtle
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    2,073
    John Saunders
    Oct 16, 2003
  2. Asun Friere
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    509
    Paul Boddie
    Aug 27, 2003
  3. Peter Hansen
    Replies:
    23
    Views:
    880
    Anton Vredegoor
    Sep 5, 2003
  4. Gerrit Holl
    Replies:
    16
    Views:
    626
    Tom Plunket
    Aug 29, 2003
  5. Asun Friere
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    483
    Asun Friere
    Aug 28, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page