advice required re migrating php app to python and most likely zope

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ken Guest, Jan 5, 2006.

  1. Ken Guest

    Ken Guest Guest

    Hi,
    I've two relatively small web applications that are currently implemented in
    PHP and needed to be migrated to python and most likely zope afterwards as
    we're getting a third-party Zope powered CMS later this year.

    There isn't an immediate need for them to be developed as zope
    modules/extensions so I was wondering what the best approach might me -
    especially as they'd be deployed in the middle of a PHP driven website.

    Would I be best off to enable mod_python inside apache for the moment, writing
    good modular reusable code that may|should need minimum tweaks for when our
    Zope CMS comes on-line or should I go the full way and design the web apps for
    Zope from day zero?

    k.

    --
    Ken Guest
    Mobile: +353 86 8252 141 http://blogs.linux.ie/kenguest/
    Ken Guest, Jan 5, 2006

  2. Re: advice required re migrating php app to python and most likelyzope

    Ken Guest schrieb:
    > Hi,
    > I've two relatively small web applications that are currently implemented in
    > PHP and needed to be migrated to python and most likely zope afterwards as
    > we're getting a third-party Zope powered CMS later this year.
    >
    > There isn't an immediate need for them to be developed as zope
    > modules/extensions so I was wondering what the best approach might me -
    > especially as they'd be deployed in the middle of a PHP driven website.
    >
    > Would I be best off to enable mod_python inside apache for the moment, writing
    > good modular reusable code that may|should need minimum tweaks for when our
    > Zope CMS comes on-line or should I go the full way and design the web apps for
    > Zope from day zero?

    If you want ZOPE, the only way is to use it right from the start. There
    is not much you can write as "good modular reusable code", as ZOPE
    imposes quite a few constraints on the way things _have_ to happen. That
    isn't a bad thing! Its just that with ZOPE, you've got to grok what it
    is about to use it, and much things are different from the simple
    one-page-one-script-stuff you ususally come up with in PHP.

    So better start with ZOPE right away.

    DIez
    Diez B. Roggisch, Jan 5, 2006

  3. Ken Guest

    Ken Guest Guest

    On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 10:10:39PM +0100, Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
    > Ken Guest schrieb:
    > > Hi,
    > > I've two relatively small web applications that are currently implemented in
    > > PHP and needed to be migrated to python and most likely zope afterwards as
    > > we're getting a third-party Zope powered CMS later this year.
    > >
    > > There isn't an immediate need for them to be developed as zope
    > > modules/extensions so I was wondering what the best approach might me -
    > > especially as they'd be deployed in the middle of a PHP driven website.
    > >
    > > Would I be best off to enable mod_python inside apache for the moment, writing
    > > good modular reusable code that may|should need minimum tweaks for when our
    > > Zope CMS comes on-line or should I go the full way and design the web apps for
    > > Zope from day zero?

    > If you want ZOPE, the only way is to use it right from the start. There
    > is not much you can write as "good modular reusable code", as ZOPE
    > imposes quite a few constraints on the way things _have_ to happen. That
    > isn't a bad thing! Its just that with ZOPE, you've got to grok what it
    > is about to use it, and much things are different from the simple
    > one-page-one-script-stuff you ususally come up with in PHP.

    Well it'll be zope/plone to be more exact - good to know I should start off
    with zope sooner rather than later, thanks Diez.

    k.

    Ken Guest, Jan 6, 2006