advice required re migrating php app to python and most likely zope

Ken Guest

Hi,
I've two relatively small web applications that are currently implemented in
PHP and needed to be migrated to python and most likely zope afterwards as
we're getting a third-party Zope powered CMS later this year.

There isn't an immediate need for them to be developed as zope
modules/extensions so I was wondering what the best approach might me -
especially as they'd be deployed in the middle of a PHP driven website.

Would I be best off to enable mod_python inside apache for the moment, writing
good modular reusable code that may|should need minimum tweaks for when our
Zope CMS comes on-line or should I go the full way and design the web apps for
Zope from day zero?

k.

Diez B. Roggisch

Ken said:
Hi,
I've two relatively small web applications that are currently implemented in
PHP and needed to be migrated to python and most likely zope afterwards as
we're getting a third-party Zope powered CMS later this year.

There isn't an immediate need for them to be developed as zope
modules/extensions so I was wondering what the best approach might me -
especially as they'd be deployed in the middle of a PHP driven website.

Would I be best off to enable mod_python inside apache for the moment, writing
good modular reusable code that may|should need minimum tweaks for when our
Zope CMS comes on-line or should I go the full way and design the web apps for
Zope from day zero?

If you want ZOPE, the only way is to use it right from the start. There
is not much you can write as "good modular reusable code", as ZOPE
imposes quite a few constraints on the way things _have_ to happen. That
isn't a bad thing! Its just that with ZOPE, you've got to grok what it
is about to use it, and much things are different from the simple
one-page-one-script-stuff you ususally come up with in PHP.

So better start with ZOPE right away.

DIez

Ken Guest

If you want ZOPE, the only way is to use it right from the start. There
is not much you can write as "good modular reusable code", as ZOPE
imposes quite a few constraints on the way things _have_ to happen. That
isn't a bad thing! Its just that with ZOPE, you've got to grok what it
is about to use it, and much things are different from the simple
one-page-one-script-stuff you ususally come up with in PHP.

Well it'll be zope/plone to be more exact - good to know I should start off
with zope sooner rather than later, thanks Diez.

k.