    I just need some guidance on what technology and design patterns I should be
    pursuing. Presumably it boils down to WPF versus the older ways of doing
    things but maybe someone can set me straight. Thanks in advance.

    jk, Jul 5, 2009

  2. jk

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "jk" <_nospam@_no_spam.com> wrote in message
    news:uU3$j2a$...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I'm a very experienced developer but relative new to ASP.NET (not exactly
    > a novice but still feeling my way around). I'm about to start development
    > of a new (commercial) web site and would like to know what technology I
    > should be pursuing. The site will provide a front-end for users who will
    > log on, input data, generate reports, etc. (lots of web forms and controls
    > involved with all this). Everything is captured at the back-end in a SQL
    > Server DB. Can anyone enlighten me on what technology I should be
    > investigating. Should I be looking at WPF for instance or stick with the
    > tried and true ways I've been reading about (using standard web controls
    > bound to my business objects using "ObjectDataSource" controls and
    > ultimately invoking strongly-typed datasets to update the DB). I'm fairly
    > green in the latter area (though find it very easy so far) and have no WPF
    > experience whatsoever so I'm not sure where these technologies diverge,
    > whether they're completely different, etc. I just need some guidance on
    > what technology and design patterns I should be pursuing. Presumably it
    > boils down to WPF versus the older ways of doing things but maybe someone
    > can set me straight. Thanks in advance.

    1) Model View Presenter pattern

    2) Windows Communications Web service with BLL and DAL setting behind the
    WCF Web service, with business objects sent to the UI as DTO(s) -- Data
    Transfer Objects, and those DTO(s) sent back to the WCF, with them becoming
    business objects again persisting themselves to the database via the DAL.

    3) ORM solution such as ADO.NET Entity Framework with Linq-2-Entities,
    nHibernate or Link-2-SQL

    4) Ajax with possible Telerik controls and standard controls

    6) Light or no validation of user input at the UI, letting Windows Workflow
    validate business objects by object injection into a validation Workflow.
    Workflow is setting behind the WCF Web service on an application server
    that's hosting BLL, DAL and WF.

    7) Disable viewstate on all UI controls.

    8) Domain Driven Design pattern against the Model

    9) Test Driven Design pattern against the Model using functional tests to
    test the entire backend before one even gets to the UI, with tools such as
    Reshapper, Gallio and MBunit. The same tools can be used for Unit Test
    mock-ups as well.

    10) The ability to understand and use Linq.

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4219 (20090705) __________

    http://www.eset.com

    Mr. Arnold, Jul 6, 2009

  3. jk

    jk Guest

    > 1) Model View Presenter pattern
    >
    > 2) Windows Communications Web service with BLL and DAL setting behind the
    > WCF Web service, with business objects sent to the UI as DTO(s) -- Data
    > Transfer Objects, and those DTO(s) sent back to the WCF, with them
    > becoming business objects again persisting themselves to the database via
    > the DAL.
    >
    > 3) ORM solution such as ADO.NET Entity Framework with Linq-2-Entities,
    > nHibernate or Link-2-SQL
    >
    > 4) Ajax with possible Telerik controls and standard controls
    >
    > 6) Light or no validation of user input at the UI, letting Windows
    > Workflow validate business objects by object injection into a validation
    > Workflow. Workflow is setting behind the WCF Web service on an application
    > server that's hosting BLL, DAL and WF.
    >
    > 7) Disable viewstate on all UI controls.
    >
    > 8) Domain Driven Design pattern against the Model
    >
    > 9) Test Driven Design pattern against the Model using functional tests to
    > test the entire backend before one even gets to the UI, with tools such as
    > Reshapper, Gallio and MBunit. The same tools can be used for Unit Test
    > mock-ups as well.
    >
    > 10) The ability to understand and use Linq.

    Thanks for the info. I'll do some research on these items but what would you
    personally be looking at (ignoring any learning curve). What's best for the
    future IOW (in your opinion) but also consider that we need to get our site
    done without countless problems due to lack of documentation and/or because
    the technology is still too immature to proceed with. Thanks again.

    jk, Jul 6, 2009
  4. jk

    jk Guest

    Thanks for your advice. I'll be considering it carefully and looking at some
    of your suggestions in greater detail. Appreciated :)

    jk, Jul 6, 2009