Advice to a Junior in High School?

Howard Nease

Hello, everyone. I would appreciate any advice that someone could give me on
my future career path. Here is my situation:

I am a bright Junior in a very well-respected private high school, taking
almost all AP and accelerated classes. I am HIGHLY interested in technology,
more specifically the field of Computer Science and software engineering. I
have heard a whole lot about the fact that the market for software engineers
nowadays is *HORRIBLE*, and that I should double major or perhaps go into a
field of study in which I'm not very interested.

I would be devastated were I to find the need to leave computer science. I
love the subject, and I've wanted to be a computer scientist ever since I
was 12 years old.

Does anyone have any advice for me and my future? What should I study in
college? Will the market for jobs get better? Do I have any hope at all of
finding a decent-paying job in compsci? What languages do you suggest that I
study (I'm already studying Python)?

thank you very much for your help!

--shn

Kenny Tilton

Howard said:
Hello, everyone. I would appreciate any advice that someone could give me on
my future career path. Here is my situation:

I am a bright Junior in a very well-respected private high school, taking
almost all AP and accelerated classes. I am HIGHLY interested in technology,
more specifically the field of Computer Science and software engineering. I
have heard a whole lot about the fact that the market for software engineers
nowadays is *HORRIBLE*, and that I should double major or perhaps go into a
field of study in which I'm not very interested.

By the time you graduate it will be a different world. There will be a
shortage because everyone is being told the same thing you are. A glut
arose because folks were being told the opposite. These same folks give
up looking for a job in compsci after a month, you'll get a job as a
waiter and look for a year. and you can settle for less because you love
the work. the latter will also make you better at it than money chasers,
and will help you interview better.

btw, i would say this even if you were from a highly-disrespected inner
city public school. :)

--

kenny tilton
clinisys, inc

Kenny Tilton

Howard said:
H What languages do you suggest that I
study (I'm already studying Python)?

PS. Common Lisp

--

kenny tilton
clinisys, inc
http://www.tilton-technology.com/
"Career highlights? I had two. I got an intentional walk from
Sandy Koufax and I got out of a rundown against the Mets."
-- Bob Uecker

Sean Ross

Howard Nease said:
What should I study in college?

Hi. Are you asking which areas in the field of computer science you should
try to specialize in (take courses in)? Are you asking which comp. sci. (or
non-comp.sci. courses) would be beneficial (for getting work, for rounding
your knowledge, for making you happy, for all of the above and more)?

What you should study in college may well depend on your chosen college's
degree requirements. My university, for instance, requires us to take
atleast 8 classes outside of our discipline (I chose to do a minor in
philosophy, in order to meet that requirement).

It's hard to say what you should study. What are your goals? What would you
like to learn? What would you like to do? Do you want to be a computer
scientist? a programmer? a software engineer? a network administrator? a
security professional? a web-application developer, or something else?
Depending upon what you want to do, what you should learn may differ.

For the time being, you're still in high school, so let's start there. Take
all of the math and science courses you can. Finite (discrete) mathematics,
if it is offered, is particularly useful. If your school offers any kind of
logic course, take that. If you're looking to be in management, business
courses might be useful. Take literature courses (you'll have to write
papers as you move further towards being a computer scientist, best get some
practice writing now). But, most importantly, take what interests you!

In university (or college), you can follow advice similar to that above.
Especially, "take what interests you". Take any required maths, and, if you
like, take any other discrete math courses. As for computer science courses:
You'll likely have a core curriculum to follow for the first 2-3 years, so
you may not have a lot of choice in which courses to take. In 3rd and 4th
year you'll likely get to specialize more. If your school offers a compiler
course, take it. Most of what you learn there is applicable in other
domains. If your school offers an interface design course, take that. If
your school offers software design courses, take those.

Other than this, it's difficult to suggest courses. It depends on your
interests and the courses that are offered. Are you interested in AI,
A-Life, evolutionary computing? Are you interested in cryptography,
security, networking? Are you interested in distributed or parellel
computing? Again, "take what interests you".

What languages do you suggest that I study (I'm already studying Python)?
Learn C (atleast, and maybe C++). Learn an assembly language. Learn Scheme
(Lisp, Dylan, Haskell, ocaml, or some other functional programming
language). Learn Prolog (or some other logic programming language). Learn
Java. Learn Perl. Learn what interests you.

I hope that was somewhat helpful,
Sean

Afanasiy

[...]

I would make sure to consider a field, in a non-computer science, which
allows/requires you to use your interest/skills in computer programming.

I believe I chose the right words, so read them carefully. I don't think
that leaves any questions of me. Your decision should be your decision.

Languages...

Whatever appeals to you, but that probably depends on what you want to do.

Jose Rodriguez

Really hate to say this but....

I agree with another post in that you should look into a real field
where you might be able to use the computer 'hobby' aspects of it in
your field. For instance, be a doctor such as an oconologist,
radiologist, or ear-noste-throat. These are great, high paying
positions that are becoming extremely computer intensive. I look at
it from the standpoint of practicality.... you'll never want for a
job since there has been a demand in most sections of the country for
the last 30+ years, you'll get paid a ridiculous salary, and have a
normal work week of 25 - 50 hours.

Enjoy the Porchse, the yacht, and the time to focus your skills in
programming.

Michele Simionato

Afanasiy said:
I think you
should do a lot of your own exploring. Consider as much as you can, no
matter what someone online says for or against it.

Hear, hear: this is good advice!

On a more personal note, when I was more or less your age I decided
to do Physics, even if I knew very well that the job situation was a
disaster. Now, it turns out that the situation is still a disaster and I
have just decided to quit the field.
I have found some people telling me that I made the bad choice and that
I should have chosen a more marketable field. I don't think so.
I did what I wanted to do: whereas most of the people do for
all their life a job they dislike, I at least avoided that for
part of my life. I had the opportunity of doing something and I took
it.

If you have the chance of having something you like to do, don't throw
it away to follow the advice of the others. Your life is your responsability.

Michele Simionato, Ph. D.
(e-mail address removed)
http://www.phyast.pitt.edu/~micheles
--- Currently looking for a job ---

Cameron Laird

.
.
.
I would also recommend not giving much weight to anything from ESR.
.
.
.
What's going on *there*? Eric makes plenty of mistakes,
and he's apparently stubborn and biased in many cases; on
the other hand, while I disagree with him profoundly on
some technical choices, and I've been told of all sorts
of personal failings he exhibits, in my experience he's
always been willing to correct errors when presented with
evidence. So: are you saying that he simply says too much
and too early, and consequently is unreliable because he's
outside his domain of expertise, or do you perceive a deeper
problem with his advice?

I ask in part because, as near as I can tell, you were the
first to mention him in this thread. It appears that you
regard his output as particularly hazardous.

Robert Kern

[snip]
Does anyone have any advice for me and my future? What should I study in
college?

Well, in addition to what everyone else has said, I would recommend
taking some classes that hone your ability to analyze numerical data.
There ought to be classes from a variety of departments at your college
that can teach you this skill. It's likely *one* of them will catch your
interest. In my experience, that core skill is easily transfered between
fields. Once you learn how to handle the numbers, it doesn't matter if
they are temperature readings or stock prices.

That skill will open a large number of career paths where your CS skills
and interests are respected and used. Many of them pay well, too.

Of course, that doesn't help you in the slightest if you're just not
interested in those fields. Use your college experience to explore (lots
of things really, but let's focus on the career aspects here ;-)). When
you visit colleges, try to ask the older kids if they had the
opportunity to "shop around" and discover what they really wanted to do.
To get you started, I'll tell you right now that Caltech is not such a
place.
Will the market for jobs get better?

Probably. Six years is a *long* time for the computer world.

For that matter, six years is a long time for a person your age, too.
I'm quite sure you will be a very different person when you graduate
from college. Trust me: I'm six years ahead of you. ;-)

And for now, forget us old fogies, go out, and have some fun, goddammit!

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

Sean Ross

As an added bonus, studying many langugas reduces the chances of you
misclassifying them, as has been done above :)

Okay. "..., or some other language that supports functional programming
style)" (which would include those mentioned, and many more besides). For
instance,

http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Programming/Languages/Functional/?tc=1
Aleph (1)
BETA (8)
Caml (2)
Clean (6)
Dylan (19) <
Erlang (313)
Haskell (48) <
Leda (5)
Lisp (378) <
Logo (46)
Lua (18)
Mercury (4)
Miranda (10)
ML (35)
Mozart (2)
Objective Caml (5) <
Pliant (16)
POP-11 (6)
REBOL (95)
Scheme (127)
Sisal (12)

Whatever.
Sean

Jacek Generowicz

Sean Ross said:
[...]

They seem to have forgotten Python.

Terry Reedy

Howard Nease said:
have heard a whole lot about the fact that the market for software engineers
nowadays is *HORRIBLE*, and that I should double major or perhaps go into a
field of study in which I'm not very interested.

The demand for software engineers has fluctuated up and down, in
various industries and regions, for decades. An article in the
current Business 2.0 on the 'coming labor shortage' points out that
you are part of the first generation in America to be numerically
smaller than your parents generation. In ten years, when boomers have
or are retiring, there will probably be a relatively shortage of tech
workers.

TJR

A. Lloyd Flanagan

Howard Nease said:
Hello, everyone. I would appreciate any advice that someone could give me on
my future career path. Here is my situation:
Does anyone have any advice for me and my future? What should I study in
college? Will the market for jobs get better? Do I have any hope at all of
finding a decent-paying job in compsci? What languages do you suggest that I
study (I'm already studying Python)?

I would say that more important than learning any particular language
is learning the theoretical aspects of the job, including the math.
Languages change, the theory will benefit you all your life.

That said, I agree that you should learn and study a variety of
languages. Each carries with it a particular way of thinking about a
problem, and once you understand that way of thinking you can apply it
elsewhere.

As for a job in CompSci, I'd say if you were in it for a steady job,
doing the same sort of thing for years, getting good pay without too
much work, you're really in the wrong field. Amazingly, a lot of
people working today have that attitude. Many more are trying to
figure out where their jobs went.

You sound like someone with a real love for the field and a desire to
keep learning and improving yourself. If that's the case, you'll do
fine.

Josh

Howard Nease said:
Does anyone have any advice for me and my future? What should I study in
college? Will the market for jobs get better? Do I have any hope at all of
finding a decent-paying job in compsci? What languages do you suggest that I
study (I'm already studying Python)?

I'd suggest C++, because it's complex and hideous, and you'll probably
be dealing with complex hideous things in the software industry--so
it's best to start early.

d.w. harks

[...]

As a junior in high school, rather than worrying so much about *what* to study
in college, I'd suggest carefully looking at *where* to study. A Bachelor of
Science in Computer Science from one school won't be the same as another --
try to think of what topics you're most interested in and find schools that
have professors who specialize in those fields. They'll end up helping you
decide what to study as you go, because they'll be able to see what your
interests (and talents) are. (Something that your words on a mailing-list
don't identify all that well!)

For now, keep all your grades up and start visiting colleges. Don't sweat the
other stuff just yet...the school you choose will have a program laid out,
and you'll choose electives within it, but it'll be pretty straightforward
and will give you an opportunity to explore and figure out if/what you want
to study in grad school.

Don't forget to enjoy the stuff you're learning, and don't sweat the job
market thing. If you have the ability and the love of CS, supporting yourself
will come along in ways you can never plan for. Just do what you love, and
you'll be amazed at what happens.

dave

John J. Lee

Terry Reedy said:
The demand for software engineers has fluctuated up and down, in
various industries and regions, for decades. An article in the
current Business 2.0 on the 'coming labor shortage' points out that
you are part of the first generation in America to be numerically
smaller than your parents generation. In ten years, when boomers have
or are retiring, there will probably be a relatively shortage of tech
workers.

Who knows? There are plenty of clever, hard-working people in India
who speak good English. It would be a good thing if more computing
jobs moved there, IMHO, and that certainly seems to be happening to an
extent already.

A lot depends on the location and degree of horror of world events, I
fear. Just to cheer you up ;-/

John

Stan Graves

Howard Nease said:
I would be devastated were I to find the need to leave computer science.

I suppose we should just chalk that up to the angst of a 17 year old.
There is nothing magical, mystical, or more enlightening about
computer science compared with any other profession, vocation or
avocation. If you really would be "devastated" to not be a computer
scientist, I would recommend some counseling to address your
perceptions of your worth and value as a person.
love the subject, and I've wanted to be a computer scientist ever since I
was 12 years old.

I've changed professional aspirations at least a dozen times since I
was 12 years old. I've actually changed professions 6 times since I
was 12 years old.
Does anyone have any advice for me and my future?

Yes. Volunteer in your community, read to children, talk to your
grandparents and find out where you came from, visit art galleries,
learn to cook, be a good listener, support your local animal shelters,
always stop and buy lemonade from kids in the neighborhood, read one
really good book a year - start with Shakespeare or Mark Twain, learn
to dance, attend at least one ballet or symphony a year, take a nap at
least once a month, stretch before exercising, tip generously, travel,
spend less than you earn, and finally - understand that what you do
for a living does not define who you are as a person.
What should I study in
college?

You should learn to think and to learn in college.

Focus on problem decomposition - there are no interesting problems
that can be solved in one bite...everything has to be broken down into
smaller pieces.

Study literature - I have yet to see a single computer scientist who
can manipulate symbols as well as Shakespeare.

Take a music appreciation class. The development of musical theory
and composition provides a good parallel for the understanding of
complex systems interactions. I have yet to meet a single computer
scientist who can manage complex systems architecture as well as
Beethoven.
Will the market for jobs get better? Do I have any hope at all of
finding a decent-paying job in compsci?

The market is going to be different than it is today. Better is a
judgment that I do not care to make. The advice I received was to get
a good education and increase your odds of remaining gainfully
employed. It was, and still is, good advice.
What languages do you suggest that I
study (I'm already studying Python)?

I'd suggest English. The ability to communicate effectively is
probably more important than any technical skill.

If you get tired of studying English, then you might try German. I
love the structure of the Germanic languages. If you live in the
southwest, perhaps Spanish would be a good language to study.

If you still insist that specific topics in computer science have any
more value than something else, I'd recommend the following:

- Pick a text editor. Learn it inside and out. Use it for
everything.
- Pick a unix shell. Learn it inside and out. Use it for everything.
- Use a source code control system for everything - no matter how
large or small the project.
- Use make for every project, no matter how small.
- Favor "standards" over proprietary tools.
- Learn to write web pages...using the standards!
- Learn C.
- Learn C++. Learn it both as an OO language, and as a proceedural
language.
- Learn one new language a year.

--Stan Graves

Terry Reedy

John J. Lee said:
Who knows? There are plenty of clever, hard-working people in India
who speak good English. It would be a good thing if more computing
jobs moved there, IMHO, and that certainly seems to be happening to an
extent already.

The same article pointed out that 1) much of the outsourcing is lower
level call-center jobs; 2) programmer salaries are already rising in
India because most of the good talent is already employed; 3) the
shortage anticipated is greater that the anticipated extra supply in
India, China, etc. Who know...

TJR

Paul D. Fernhout

Stan said:
> [Lots of good advice snipped]

Wow, this is really good advice on becoming a decent human being! I
could not have put it as well or succinctly. This is much better advice
for someone finishing high school soon than on any specific technical
direction. It reminds me a bit of Robert Heinlein's quotation: "A human
being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a
hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a sonnet, balance accounts,
build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders,
cooperate, act alone, solve an equation, analyze a new problem, pitch
manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die
gallantly. Specialization is for insects".
http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=specialization is for insects

We live in a beautiful and mysterious world -- seemingly infinite in
time and space and meaning, perhaps with multiple nested levels beyond
our current understanding (individual or collective). Stan's advice
touches on how to come to grips with these deeper issues indirectly by
engaging deeply in the human experience through the ways he outlines
(volunteering, compassion, art, dance, music, frugality, etc.) to grow
some deep roots to rely on when branching out into a specialization like
computer science or Python internals.

One good resource in the area towards career understanding is Richard
Bolles "What Color is Your Parachute".
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1580082424/103-2338008-0446217?v=glance
and his related books on Life/Work planning.

Still, I might add, from a technical side, become aware of Moore's Law
if you want to try to predict where the computer field is going to go
over the course of your career. Computers have increased in computing
capacity for a constant cost on the order of close to one million times
over the last thirty or so years. In the next twenty years or so they
will probably again increase by a factor of about another million from
where they are now.
http://www.transhumanist.com/volume1/moravec.htm
Ever more sophisticated virtual reality simulations and robotics (e.g.
cars that drive themselves just for one application) will be just a few
of the sorts of possibilities this kind of computing power will enable,
as well as all sorts of things we can barely imagine now. Cars can even
drive themselves now using laptops, but they will be presumably even
safer and more capable then...
http://www.ri.cmu.edu/labs/lab_28.html
On Moore's Law and exponential growth see for example:
http://www.kurzweilai.net/articles/art0134.html?printable=1
Moore's Law type growth is one reason sophisticated languages like
Python are now succesful (over using all C/C++ all the time) and may be
ever more succesful as time goes by. As a corollary, today's level of
desktop computing may well cost one-millionth of what it does in twenty
years, and so may be effectively free (well, a penny) and so may be
embedded everywhere (so studying embedded sytems might be useful, and
for example, learning the computer language Forth might be relevant).

Also, to elaborate on Stan's suggestion to study literature, read lots
of things (including, but not limited to, science fiction). For one
optimistic view of the future, see James P. Hogan's writings, especially
"Voyage from Yesteryear".
http://www.jamesphogan.com/books/voyage/baen99/titlepage.shtml
I always return to that novel and his other writings as a way to regain
some hope for the future. And for a cyberpunkish vision, try "The
Diamond Age" by Neal Stephenson.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0553380966/102-9187646-8303318?v=glance
But don't skimp on other classics, from "The Machine Stops" to "The
Skills of Xanadu".

It's quite possible in twenty years that much of your work in computing
may be almost inseperable from nanotechnology matter replicator
programming (i.e. your programs might compile to the hardware).
Self-replicating space habitats made easy by related technological
advances in computing and materials fabrication may then well produce
trillions of Earth's worths of living space around our solar system.
http://www.luf.org/
Those sort of possibilities realizeable through dedication and
commitment of young people like yourself (as well as oldsters :) make
all this current fighting over oil and water and land and weapons all
seem so childish and outmoded as a civilization... Hogan's vision of a
universe of plenty if we can just cooperate and show compassion and try
to avoid living in fear is a good one to embrace. Choices by millions of
people such as yourself will shape whether and how much and for whom the
future heads in this direction.

On the science front, read anything by Freeman Dyson (like "Disturbing
the Universe") because he is a very decent human being as well as
citizen-scientist. And of course, read more broadly than that --
biographies, "Harry Potter", history, and so on. Two useful historians
to read include:
"A People's History of the United States"
http://www.howardzinn.org/
and "Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook
Got Wrong"
http://www.uvm.edu/~jloewen/
The concepts in these books may well shape the US political spectrum in
the next couple of decades, and our technosphere may well then be
reconstructed to reflect these changing social values. See also,
"Autonomous Technology: Technics-out-of-Control as a Theme in Political
Thought" as it grapples directly with this issue of technological
development reflecting social values (it's kind of dry, but some of his
other writings may be more accessible).
http://www.rpi.edu/~winner/
A computer language like Python (as opposed to C++) in a way reflects a
different mindset about accessability and changeability (see Guido's
"Computer Programming for Everybody")
http://www.python.org/doc/essays/ppt/acm-cp4e/
in the same way that local solar panels or home biomass fuel cells or
better home insulation alter the political power landscape as opposed to
large centralized nuclear or coal power plants or oil tankers. Always be
aware that the technological systems you build reflect your values. It's
kind of not a surprise to me that Python came from the Netherlands
(progressive social system) or Smalltalk from sort-of-hippies in
California :) or GNU/Linux from Finland (well, OK, and RMS/GNU in
Boston post-MIT, which sort of wrecks that analogy :).

And beware the PhD pyramid scheme. See a comment by the Vice Provost of
Caltech on the state of science jobs today as testimony to Congress:
http://www.house.gov/science/goodstein_04-01.htm
In short, Prof. Goodstein says because of this focus on the PhD in US
science, much US education and educators down to the high school level
are somewhat inadequate to the task of imparting useful skills for other
than those heading to do the most elite abstract research, unlike say
the technical education available in some of Europe.

An excerpt from that page: "The problem, to reiterate, is that science
education in America is designed to select a small group of elite
scientists. An unintended but inevitable side effect is that everyone
else is left out. As a consequence of that, 20,000 American high schools
lack a single qualified physics teacher, half the math classes in
American schools are taught by people who lack the qualifications to
teach them, and companies will increasingly find themselves without the
technical competence they need at all levels from the shop floor to the
executive suite. To solve this problem will take nothing less than a
reform of both education and society. We must have as our goal a nation
in which solid scientific education will form the basis of realistic
career opportunities at all levels, in industry, government and in
education itself, from kindergarten to graduate school. As long as we
train a tiny scientific elite that cares not at all about anyone else,
and everyone else wears ignorance of science and mathematics as a badge
of honor, we are putting our future as a nation and as a culture in deep
peril."

I'm not saying don't get a CS PhD someday down the road to realize a
dream of becoming a computer scientist if that is what you want
(although please understand the difference between a software developer
and a mathematician who studies algorithms and how that relates to the
courses you take and universities you choose to attend) -- just
understand what you are getting yourself into and how that PhD system
has distorted science and technical education in the US at present (and
that link above explains why in some detail).

Also, on the issue of volunteerism Stan raise, contributing early and
often to various open source / free software projects that are of
interest to you (such as contributing to Python) is a way to both gain
visibility in the computer world as well as to leave a meaningful legacy
behind no matter where your career and life takes you. Obviously, get
your parent(s)'s or guardian's permission first if legally or morally
needed.

All the best.

--Paul Fernhout
http://www.pointrel.org

Tom Plunket

Howard said:
I have heard a whole lot about the fact that the market for
software engineers nowadays is *HORRIBLE*...

You could go to work in the video game industry. Like most
entertainment industries it fares pretty well especially when
there's a downturn in society.

I've been a video game programmer for seven years. It's a lot of
work and not a lot of money, but it feels cool to me to work on
the programs that people use *after* work. ;) We make the
software that people choose to use individually.
I would be devastated were I to find the need to leave computer
science.

There will always be a call for programmers. The key to securing
yourself in whatever position you want to be in is simply to be
better than everyone else around you at that role. Study hard,
go after internships while in college (or even before, I recently
had a 16-year old intern in programming who was hot-shit), and
absorb everything you can.

Learn Python, learn C++, learn Lisp. Understand what you like
and don't like about each of these languages.

Good luck,
-tom!