Advice to a Junior in High School?

Chad Netzer

If guns were such a overriding factor why is it the UK has as high
if not higher rate of gun related violence than the US?

You still haven't responded to the rebuttals of this statement. On the
face of it, it appears made up. Can you explain?

Steve Lamb

You still haven't responded to the rebuttals of this statement. On the
face of it, it appears made up. Can you explain?

Because it was worded incorrectly and is, in essence, as worded,
indefensible. Quite frankly I don't have the time or patience to
discuss the issue further in a PYTHON newsgroup.

Bengt Richter

What you've all missed is that violence still happens. The
Are you talking to me? ;-) (when you say "all")

If you read my post, you will note that I didn't say you should not be allowed
to make the choice of owning a gun. I just suggested (indirectly at that) that
maybe we should regulate ownership and operation of firearms at least as well as
we do cars.

I suggested that this might have a good influence on the odds of bad things happening.
I didn't say I expected them to stop happening. In fact, I said/wrote
"""
You seem to be hoping that education and attitude (which you don't mention a way of
improving, enforcing, or QA-ing) will prevent all the temporary quasi-insanities that
normally reasonable humans are capable of.
"""

I suggested that a risk management approach might be reasonable. Risks vary, as I also
mentioned. I understand what happens in one's mind if one receives believable threats
of bodily harm, and my sympathies if it has happened to you. I understand that there
are contexts where arming oneself is rational, just as there are contexts where wearing
a parachute is rational. You have to calculate your own odds. There is a non-zero
probablility that you'll be pushed off a high place where a parachute would do you some good.
Or jumping might be part of your job.

Anyway, try not to be in the wrong place during thunderstorms etc., and never point a banana
at an armed person, not even a police officer you know ;-)
(well, never say never. Someone probably has bluffed their way out of a bad spot with
a banana. But how many got called on it is another thing to consider ;-)

Human life structured mainly according to fears is a kind of hell. It is certainly not
freedom. We must be careful that our curative measures don't contribute to the disease.

Enough OT ;-/

Regards,
Bengt Richter

Asun Friere

Steve Lamb said:
If guns were such a overriding factor why is it the UK has as high
if not higher rate of gun related violence than the US? For that matter
why is it in several other European nations (Netherlands and Switzerland
IIRC) where there is a legal requirement for all males over a certain
age to be armed (standing militia) that there is so little gun related
violence?

When are people going to learn, it ain't the guns, its the education
and attitude surrounding them. It isn't guns that are the problem, it's
ignorance of guns thats the problem.

I didn't realise that gun-ownerhsip was mandatory in the Netherlands,
but as far as Switzerland is concerned the requirement is to be a
member of the armed forces. Perhaps this is the way to cut US
fire-arms deaths. All gun owners will have to join the Army, or the
National Guard at least, that way they can be educated in their
correct use, thereby substantially reducing accidental fire-arms
deaths, which in any case seem to make a higher contribution than
outright homocide. Maybe they can also be taught that they kill only
on command?

What I'm trying to say, of course, is that comparing gun-ownership in
Switzerland, where it comes as part of being put under military
discpline, with gun ownership in the US, is comparing apples to
oranges.

And remember, thermonuclear devices don't kill people! People do.

Nick Vargish

Steve Lamb said:
Do this simple test. Get an egg timer (or any other timing device).
Now set it to 4, maybe 5 minutes. Now lock yourself in the closet.

Counter-test: Imagine your seven-year-old son finding your gun and
shooting and killing your five-year-old daughter while you're working
in your study.

That scenario is much more likely, statistically speaking, than the
absurd home invasion fantasy you posted.

Nick

Al Kirke

Nick Vargish said:
Counter-test: Imagine your seven-year-old son finding your gun and
shooting and killing your five-year-old daughter while you're working
in your study.

Impossible. The son had been taught safe gun handling on
the pistol range w/ a .22 starting at aged five, and would
come and tell you that firearm had not been safely stored.

Al

Asun Friere

Al Kirke said:
Impossible. The son had been taught safe gun handling on
the pistol range w/ a .22 starting at aged five, and would
come and tell you that firearm had not been safely stored.

Al

Why is it impossible for someone who has been taught safe gun handling
to shoot and kill someone else? Do they use aversion therapy or
something?

yaipa h.

Lulu,

Some how I get this feeling this is secretly YOUR plan to
re-acquire the United States... Sometime after national
"Jones Town Day in May." ;^)

Cheers,

--Alan

Skip Montanaro

Al> Impossible. The son had been taught safe gun handling on the pistol
Al> range w/ a .22 starting at aged five, and would come and tell you
Al> that firearm had not been safely stored.

This sort of thing still happens (it hits the news whenever such a shooting
occurs), so clearly all seven-year-olds who live in houses with guns are not
being trained to handle and respect firearms.

Skip

Al Kirke