Advice to grant / forbid access to web resources

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by tommaso.gastaldi@uniroma1.it, Jul 14, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi friends,

    In my application I have some User management.
    Users are grouped into groups. Groups are listed "Groups"
    Table along their properties:

    TABLE: Groups

    GroupKey
    -----------------
    Administrator
    GuestUser
    NormalUser
    PowerUser

    Another table "WebResources" lists the web resources, that is pages

    Or other objects which can be browsed by the an user:

    TABLE: WebResources

    ResourceKey Resource ...
    PublicReport ~/Users/Guest/Reports/Report1.aspx
    DailyManager ~/Users/Managers/Reports/Daily.aspx
    PublicReport ~/Users/Guest/Reports/Public.htm
    DemoPack ~/Users/Guest/Reports/Demo.zip
    AdminLogin ~/Users/Admin.aspx
    NormalLogin ~/Users/Manager.aspx
    PowerLogin ~/Users/Manager.aspx
    PublicLogin ~/Users/Guest.aspx

    For each resource, it is given the group (one or more)
    that can access the resource. This is given as an entry
    In the "ResourcesAssociation" table (it's a many to many
    relationship
    between Resources and groups). Example:

    TABLE: ResourcesAssociation

    GroupKey ResourceKey
    GuestUser PublicReport
    GuestUser DemoPack
    NormalUser NormalLogin
    PowerUser PowerLogin
    GuestUser PublicReport
    PowerUser DailyManager
    PowerUser PublicReport
    NormalUser DemoPack
    NormalUser PublicReport

    My question:

    While I find easy to control resources access within .aspx
    Pages, I am confused about the best way to prevent/grant access to
    other resources such as .htm, .zip, etc, like for instance the 2
    entries:

    ~/Users/Guest/Reports/Public.htm
    ~/Users/Guest/Reports/Demo.zip

    I would like to hear your opinions about the best way to control the
    access
    to non .aspx resources, within the above design.

    Thanks in advance for any suggestion,

    -Tom

    , Jul 14, 2006