    ..

    --
    http://lazaridis.com

    Ilias Lazaridis, Apr 19, 2005

  2. Ilias Lazaridis

    Bill Atkins Guest

    ------=_Part_819_23227504.1113894369989

    Request granted. The community has officially introduced these tags.

    Happy?

    Bill

    On 4/19/05, Ilias Lazaridis <> wrote:
    >=20
    > may I ask the community to introduce a tag, e.g. "[ADVOC]" or "[ADVO]"
    > or "[ADVOCACY]" for ruby advocacy related threads?
    >=20
    > would increase the informative value and would allow easier filtering.
    >=20
    > ..
    >=20
    > --
    > http://lazaridis.com
    >=20
    >=20

    --=20
    Bill Atkins

    ------=_Part_819_23227504.1113894369989--

    Bill Atkins, Apr 19, 2005

  3. Bill Atkins wrote:
    > Request granted. The community has officially introduced these tags.
    >
    > Happy?

    very.

    --
    http://lazaridis.com

    Ilias Lazaridis, Apr 19, 2005
  4. Ilias Lazaridis, April 19:

    > may I ask the community to introduce a tag, e.g. "[ADVOC]" or "[ADVO]"
    > or "[ADVOCACY]" for ruby advocacy related threads?

    I thought we were using [ADV] for that, but perhaps it [ADV] actually
    stood for advertisement or advice.

    Seriously, though, how many of these threads do we get? Perhaps it
    would be even better to break up ruby-talk into more mailing-lists,
    instead of using a bunch of tags?,
    nikolai

    Nikolai Weibull, Apr 19, 2005
  5. On 4/19/05, Ilias Lazaridis <> wrote:
    > may I ask the community to introduce a tag, e.g. "[ADVOC]" or "[ADVO]"
    > or "[ADVOCACY]" for ruby advocacy related threads?
    >
    > would increase the informative value and would allow easier filtering.

    You can ask.

    Doesn't mean you'll get it.

    Seriously, I don't see the value in such a tag, the way that [ANN]
    does. I personally don't plan on using such a tag -- if I am
    discussing my efforts toward advocating Ruby, I consider that general
    interest.

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate:

    Austin Ziegler, Apr 19, 2005
  6. Austin Ziegler wrote:
    > On 4/19/05, Ilias Lazaridis <> wrote:
    >
    >>may I ask the community to introduce a tag, e.g. "[ADVOC]" or "[ADVO]"
    >>or "[ADVOCACY]" for ruby advocacy related threads?
    >>
    >>would increase the informative value and would allow easier filtering.

    > You can ask.
    >
    > Doesn't mean you'll get it.

    obvious

    > Seriously, I don't see the value in such a tag, the way that [ANN]
    > does. I personally don't plan on using such a tag -- if I am
    > discussing my efforts toward advocating Ruby, I consider that general
    > interest.

    what you consider it is irrelevant.

    what readers consider it is relevant.

    that's what are tag's for: the reader to decides

    --
    http://lazaridis.com

    Ilias Lazaridis, Apr 19, 2005
  7. On 4/19/05, Ilias Lazaridis <> wrote:
    > what you consider it is irrelevant.
    >
    > what readers consider it is relevant.
    >
    > that's what are tag's for: the reader to decides

    You misspelled "author". Do get your terminology right -- but you have
    a problem with that, don't you?

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate:

    Austin Ziegler, Apr 19, 2005
  8. >> Seriously, I don't see the value in such a tag, the way that [ANN]
    >> does. I personally don't plan on using such a tag -- if I am
    >> discussing my efforts toward advocating Ruby, I consider that general
    >> interest.

    > what you consider it is irrelevant.

    What makes Austin's comment irrelevant? He certainly is a reader. You
    have an opinion, he has an opinion. Although you do not share his
    opinion, you most certainly have to respect it. You can request whatever
    you want, nobody will care because you are not in the position to demand
    anything from anyone. In fact, no one is: newsgroups are democracy, not
    dictatorship. If you have a suggestion, as you can see it is discussed.
    If people like it, it may be used; if not, you have to live with this.

    martinus

    Martin Ankerl, Apr 19, 2005
  9. On Tuesday 19 April 2005 13:09, Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
    > may I ask the community to introduce a tag, e.g. "[ADVOC]" or
    > "[ADVO]" or "[ADVOCACY]" for ruby advocacy related threads?

    Can we please introduce tag [TROLL]?

    --
    sdmitry -=- Dmitry V. Sabanin
    http://muravey.net

    Dmitry V. Sabanin, Apr 19, 2005
  10. Ilias Lazaridis

    vruz Guest

    > may I ask the community to introduce a tag, e.g. "[ADVOC]" or "[ADVO]"
    > or "[ADVOCACY]" for ruby advocacy related threads?
    > would increase the informative value and would allow easier filtering.

    there seems to be some consensus among a number of users of this maillist.
    they believe you should tag your messages as [ILIAS].

    that would increase the informative value and would allow easier filtering.

    vruz, Apr 19, 2005
  11. Dmitry V. Sabanin, April 19:

    > Can we please introduce tag [TROLL]?

    Yes. Lately it seems that the need for a [TROLL] tag has increased
    exponentially with the number of posts originating in .gr and perhaps
    a new tag “would increase the informative value and would allow for
    easier filteringâ€,
    nikolai

    Nikolai Weibull, Apr 19, 2005
  12. Ilias Lazaridis

    Bill Atkins Guest

    ------=_Part_2910_332749.1113933496721

    How about "[I LIVE UNDER A BRIDGE] Tag for Ruby Advocacy Related Topics" ?

    Bill Atkins, Apr 19, 2005
  13. At Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:09:34 +0900,
    Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
    > may I ask the community to introduce a tag, e.g. "[ADVOC]" or
    > "[ADVO]" or "[ADVOCACY]" for ruby advocacy related threads?

    Problem in all cases is that the initial 'ADV' may result in false UCE
    alerts. What about the following?

    [R-VOCACY]

    This tag avoids the 'ADV' triptychon of the beast, sounds similar to
    'advocacy', has the Ruby 'R' and is built in the same way as
    ad-vocacy.

    Josef 'Jupp' Schugt
    --
    Rome. Some hundred clerics have been arrested after repeatedly
    polluting the air of the Italian capital.

    Josef 'Jupp' Schugt, Apr 19, 2005
  14. Ilias Lazaridis

    Neil Stevens Guest

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:20:33 +0900, Austin Ziegler wrote:

    > Seriously, I don't see the value in such a tag, the way that [ANN]
    > does. I personally don't plan on using such a tag -- if I am
    > discussing my efforts toward advocating Ruby, I consider that general
    > interest.

    Some of us just get annoyed at the people who clog us this list with stuff
    that has nothing to do with using ruby, or making ruby more useful.

    I don't see the value in hyperventilating at every media mention of ruby,
    or in various language competitions, or in any other advocacy discussion.

    Just keep on using ruby, or making ruby easier to use, and you've done all
    you can do.

    --
    Neil Stevens -

    'A republic, if you can keep it.' -- Benjamin Franklin

    Neil Stevens, Apr 19, 2005
  15. Ilias Lazaridis

    Ryan Davis Guest

    Re: [ILIAS|TROLL|LOON] - Tag for Ruby Advocacy Related Topics

    On Apr 19, 2005, at 6:34 AM, vruz wrote:

    >> may I ask the community to introduce a tag, e.g. "[ADVOC]" or "[ADVO]"
    >> or "[ADVOCACY]" for ruby advocacy related threads?
    >> would increase the informative value and would allow easier filtering.

    > there seems to be some consensus among a number of users of this
    > maillist.
    > they believe you should tag your messages as [ILIAS].
    >
    > that would increase the informative value and would allow easier
    > filtering.

    Likewise, there is another group that believes that nobody should
    respond to Ilias at all. It worked for the lispers. I guess this is
    another area where the lisp community proves to be years ahead of
    everyone else. It only took them from Aug 2002 to Oct 2002 to ignore
    him out of the group.

    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=group:comp.lang.lisp author:Ilias

    --
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said but,
    I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

    Ryan Davis, Apr 20, 2005
  16. Ilias Lazaridis

    James Britt Guest

    Ryan Davis wrote:

    > Likewise, there is another group that believes that nobody should
    > respond to Ilias at all.

    Thank you.

    James

    James Britt, Apr 20, 2005
  17. Josef 'Jupp' Schugt wrote:
    > At Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:09:34 +0900, Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
    >
    >> may I ask the community to introduce a tag, e.g. "[ADVOC]" or
    >> "[ADVO]" or "[ADVOCACY]" for ruby advocacy related threads?

    > Problem in all cases is that the initial 'ADV' may result in false
    > UCE alerts.

    I understand.

    the would detect "ADVERTISMENT".

    > What about the following?
    >
    > [R-VOCACY]
    >
    > This tag avoids the 'ADV' triptychon of the beast, sounds similar to
    > 'advocacy', has the Ruby 'R' and is built in the same way as
    > ad-vocacy.

    I understand you thought, but it's not selfexplaining.

    -

    possibly [MEDIA] or [NEWS] is more adequate - normally someone mentions
    something from somewhere.

    > Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

    ..

    --
    http://lazaridis.com

    Ilias Lazaridis, Apr 20, 2005
  18. vruz wrote:
    >>may I ask the community to introduce a tag, e.g. "[ADVOC]" or "[ADVO]"
    >>or "[ADVOCACY]" for ruby advocacy related threads?
    >>would increase the informative value and would allow easier filtering.

    > there seems to be some consensus among a number of users of this maillist.
    > they believe you should tag your messages as [ILIAS].
    >
    > that would increase the informative value and would allow easier filtering.

    someone should tell those 'superstars' that my messages are all tagged with:

    sender =

    ..

    --
    http://lazaridis.com

    Ilias Lazaridis, Apr 20, 2005
  19. Neil Stevens wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:20:33 +0900, Austin Ziegler wrote:
    >
    >>Seriously, I don't see the value in such a tag, the way that [ANN]
    >>does. I personally don't plan on using such a tag -- if I am
    >>discussing my efforts toward advocating Ruby, I consider that general
    >>interest.

    > Some of us just get annoyed at the people who clog us this list with stuff
    > that has nothing to do with using ruby, or making ruby more useful.

    I understand your frustration.

    > I don't see the value in hyperventilating at every media mention of ruby,
    > or in various language competitions, or in any other advocacy discussion.

    but other people see the value in this.

    you should tolerate this.

    -

    you wrote "media mention of ruby"

    media...

    > Just keep on using ruby, or making ruby easier to use, and you've done all
    > you can do.

    that's why tag's are for.

    to allow people to post (even off-topic "[OT]").

    and to allow people to filter.

    -

    comp.lang.ruby.media = comp.lang.ruby - subject: [MEDIA] ...

    -

    I like the '[MEDIA]' tag.

    ..

    --
    http://lazaridis.com

    Ilias Lazaridis, Apr 20, 2005
  20. Ilias Lazaridis

    On Apr 19, 2005, at 6:14 PM, Ilias Lazaridis wrote:

    > vruz wrote:
    >>> may I ask the community to introduce a tag, e.g. "[ADVOC]" or
    >>> "[ADVO]"
    >>> or "[ADVOCACY]" for ruby advocacy related threads?
    >>> would increase the informative value and would allow easier
    >>> filtering.

    >> there seems to be some consensus among a number of users of this
    >> maillist.
    >> they believe you should tag your messages as [ILIAS].
    >> that would increase the informative value and would allow easier
    >> filtering.

    > someone should tell those 'superstars' that my messages are all tagged
    > with:
    > sender =

    Yes, but some of us 'superstars' would like to filter out everyone who
    responds to you as well. It would increase informative value (by
    improving the signal to noise ratio) and allow for easier filtering.

    Ryan Davis, Apr 20, 2005