AES crypto in pure Python?

andrew.fabbro

I'm looking for an implementation of AES (the Advanced Encryption
Standard) in pure Python. I'm aware of pycrypto, but that uses C code.
I'm hoping to find something that only uses Python...I'm willing to
trade speed for portability, since my application is designed for
several different platforms.

Anyone know if this has been done?

Thanks,

-AF

Lucas Raab

I'm looking for an implementation of AES (the Advanced Encryption
Standard) in pure Python. I'm aware of pycrypto, but that uses C code.
I'm hoping to find something that only uses Python...I'm willing to
trade speed for portability, since my application is designed for
several different platforms.

Anyone know if this has been done?

Thanks,

-AF

Google....

Fuzzyman

I'm looking for an implementation of AES (the Advanced Encryption
Standard) in pure Python. I'm aware of pycrypto, but that uses C code.
I'm hoping to find something that only uses Python...I'm willing to
trade speed for portability, since my application is designed for
several different platforms.

Anyone know if this has been done?

I'm afraid my internet is heavily restricted, so I can't check for you.
*But* there is a 'tlslite' module which implements several encryption
methods in pure python. I *think* AES is one of them.

Regards,

Fuzzy

Paul Rubin

I'm looking for an implementation of AES (the Advanced Encryption
Standard) in pure Python. I'm aware of pycrypto, but that uses C code.
I'm hoping to find something that only uses Python...I'm willing to
trade speed for portability, since my application is designed for
several different platforms.

Anyone know if this has been done?

Yes, it's been done a few times, you should be able to find some with
a web search. The ones I've seen are WAY too slow for most
applications, like a few blocks per second. If you don't require
using AES, there are some alternatives possible, like using the
built-in sha module as the round function for a Feistel cipher, or
using it in OFB mode as a keystream generator. I have some examples
of how to do either of these, if you want to see them.