After response.redirect to mailto: want screen control

Peter Bassett

I have a recruiter website listing jobs. Some postings having email links
directly to the employer (instead of the usual email link to the
recruiter owner). The owner wishes to track when people reply directly to
employers.

So I have an ASP script (it looks like an email link but fires of an ASP)
that has to do 2 things - insert an entry in the database noting this
reply, and open the email client for the user to send directly to the
employer. I open the email client via response.redirect with
RedirectStmt="mailto:...."

The database insert works fine. The email client open works fine. But
when I send the email I want my original screen back (the list of jobs).
Instead it's a blank screen, even though after the response.redirect I do
a server.transfer("listpositions.asp"). Apparently response.redirect
prevents later code in that ASP from running.

Also, the Properties of the blank screen is

mailto:[email protected]?subject=HR Manager Position

so the email client AND the remaining under-screen are from the
response.redirect.

Can I control (change) the screen appearing after the email has been
sent? Seems like response.redirect has hijacked it and I have lost
control.

Thanks!
Pete

Peter Bassett

Thanks - this is a dumb question, but within the Javascript, how do I
retrieve the ASP Application variable that I need to pass to it with all
the parameters?

I thought this would work as an example of all in one script (I
eventually have to pass as an Application variable but that should be
easy:

<%
Dim mailtoStmt
cont DQ = """"
mailtoStmt = "mailto:[email protected]"
%>

<script language="javascript">
window.open(<%= DQ & mailtoStmt & DQ %>);
</script>

It says DQ is not defined.
I'm sure this is trivial but I'm stumped.

Pete

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

cont DQ = """"

You spelled const wrong. Why do you need to make this a const anyway?

Mark Schupp

you probably mean

const DQ

but you don't need it