after the db

Guest

hey all,
ok, i have my database locked down as much as i could. certain groups can do
certain things.
now, when i build my web application over this do i have to repeat the
authorization in the code of "certain groups can do certain things"? Or will
the application inherit that from the database?

thanks,
rodchar

Kevin Spencer

It's all a matter of the user account in the Connection String to the
database. Whatever Group that user account belongs to is the database user
that connects to the database.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP

Help test our new betas,
http://www.miradyne.net

Guest

In IIS i'm specifying Integrated Windows authentication. What I'm trying to
do is enable/disable a button on my web page based on the permissions the
user has on a particular database table.

For instance, if the user has been granted CRUD (Insert, Select, Update, and
Delete) rights in the database then the button should be enabled.

Open to better ideas of doing things as well.

thanks,
rodchar

Kevin Spencer

An ASP.Net application runs as a single identity, not as multiple logged-in
users. So, you would have to create a custom Connection on a per-user basis,
rather than using Windows Authentication. What you probably want to do is
implement ASP.Net Membership, which can be tied to Active Directory. See
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/tw292whz.aspx

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer