After trying to load massive file, can't start Eclipse

Discussion in 'Java' started by david.karr, Jul 10, 2009.

  1. david.karr

    david.karr Guest

    I would post this to the Eclipse newsgroup interface, but there is
    some sort of login bug there that prevents me from being able to post
    (I've alreadys submitted a bug), so I'll ask this here.

    I've gotten into an annoying loop with Eclipse 3.5, where I tried to
    open a file that was immense, and it ending up crashing Eclipse. Now,
    when I try to restart Eclipse, it appears it's trying to load that
    file again, and it fails before I can do anything. I've already tried
    setting the -Xmx setting in eclipse.ini quite high (currently -
    Xmx1536m).

    I even tried renaming the problematic file in the file system (a 900kb
    wsdl), so it wouldn't find it, but it still fails with internal errors
    when I start up.

    I've tried adding "-clean" to the command line, but that didn't help.

    What can I do to get out of this loop?
    david.karr, Jul 10, 2009

  2. david.karr

    Lord Zoltar Guest

    On Jul 10, 2:16 pm, "david.karr" <> wrote:
    > I would post this to the Eclipse newsgroup interface, but there is
    > some sort of login bug there that prevents me from being able to post
    > (I've alreadys submitted a bug), so I'll ask this here.
    >
    > I've gotten into an annoying loop with Eclipse 3.5, where I tried to
    > open a file that was immense, and it ending up crashing Eclipse.  Now,
    > when I try to restart Eclipse, it appears it's trying to load that
    > file again, and it fails before I can do anything.  I've already tried
    > setting the -Xmx setting in eclipse.ini quite high (currently -
    > Xmx1536m).
    >
    > I even tried renaming the problematic file in the file system (a 900kb
    > wsdl), so it wouldn't find it, but it still fails with internal errors
    > when I start up.
    >
    > I've tried adding "-clean" to the command line, but that didn't help.
    >
    > What can I do to get out of this loop?

    How complex is the workbench? If it's easy to recreate, I would say
    just delete the .metadata folder. If you're feeling more adventurous
    (or you don't want to wipe out .metadata), search in the .metadata
    folder (and maybe the .settings folders too) for references to the
    file and remove them. There is probably some reference that tells the
    IDE to load the file on startup, and if it can't load the file at all
    (for some reason internal to that file) then the IDE will probably
    always fail unless it doesn't have to load the file on start up.
    Lord Zoltar, Jul 10, 2009

  3. david.karr

    David Karr Guest

    On Jul 10, 11:26 am, Lord Zoltar <> wrote:
    > On Jul 10, 2:16 pm, "david.karr" <> wrote:
    >

    > > I would post this to the Eclipse newsgroup interface, but there is
    > > some sort of login bug there that prevents me from being able to post
    > > (I've alreadys submitted a bug), so I'll ask this here.

    > > I've gotten into an annoying loop with Eclipse 3.5, where I tried to
    > > open a file that was immense, and it ending up crashing Eclipse.  Now,
    > > when I try to restart Eclipse, it appears it's trying to load that
    > > file again, and it fails before I can do anything.  I've already tried
    > > setting the -Xmx setting in eclipse.ini quite high (currently -
    > > Xmx1536m).

    > > I even tried renaming the problematic file in the file system (a 900kb
    > > wsdl), so it wouldn't find it, but it still fails with internal errors
    > > when I start up.

    > > I've tried adding "-clean" to the command line, but that didn't help.

    > > What can I do to get out of this loop?

    > How complex is the workbench? If it's easy to recreate, I would say
    > just delete the .metadata folder. If you're feeling more adventurous
    > (or you don't want to wipe out .metadata), search in the .metadata
    > folder (and maybe the .settings folders too) for references to the
    > file and remove them. There is probably some reference that tells the
    > IDE to load the file on startup, and if it can't load the file at all
    > (for some reason internal to that file) then the IDE will probably
    > always fail unless it doesn't have to load the file on start up.

    I found the file in the list of editors in the workbench.xml, but
    replacing it with a version with no editors in the list didn't fix the
    problem. It still fails after working hard at startup.

    Removing the entire .metadata folder does work, sort of. It really
    does remove everything, including my projects, of which I had 15,
    almost all of which are SVN projects.

    I'm now not completely convinced the problem was caused by that file.
    Perhaps it was a plugin I added recently. I found that even after
    creating a new workspace, Eclipse is behaving very strangely. I guess
    I'm going to have to reinstall completely and add back the plugins I
    know I need.
    David Karr, Jul 10, 2009