    yours,

    cyx

    , Oct 20, 2005

  2. On 10/20/05, <> wrote:
    > i just like to ask if the book is up to date with the current / latest
    > release of rails, or if it indicates deprecated method names /
    > approaches / techniques.

    The book is up to date, there have been a few additions to Rails since
    it was written, but nothing in the book is depreciated or changed. I
    will also offer a personal recommendation -- I have it and have found
    it valuable.

    pth

    Patrick Hurley, Oct 22, 2005

  3. Peter Burns Guest

    ------=_Part_4073_11539098.1129953884056

    Does the book covers the latest features and changes in version 0.14? I
    haven't generated a new copy of it in a little while (and I couldn't see ho=
    to do so from their site), but last I checked it didn't cover things like
    Active Migrations, Switchtower, and the like.

    Of course, I should also say that quality-wise the book is excellent. I
    probably wouldn't have learned Rails without it, and it's a huge step up
    from anything else that I know for learning Rails at the moment, but as far
    as I know it isn't up to date on the newest version.

    Peter Burns, Oct 22, 2005
  4. Peter Burns Guest

    *Does the book _cover_ the latest features...

    Sorry for the double post, but that's such a glaring mistake.

    On 10/22/05, Peter Burns <> wrote:
    > Does the book covers the latest features and changes in version 0.14? I
    > haven't generated a new copy of it in a little while (and I couldn't see =

    how

    Peter Burns, Oct 22, 2005
  5. zdennis Guest

    Peter Burns wrote:
    > *Does the book _cover_ the latest features...

    no, the agile web development with rails book does cover things like
    SwitchTower or Acive Migration.

    My bet is books covering these topics will come out soon. Anyone know
    for sure on this?

    Zach

    zdennis, Oct 22, 2005
  6. zdennis wrote:
    > Peter Burns wrote:
    >> *Does the book _cover_ the latest features...

    > no, the agile web development with rails book does cover things like
    > SwitchTower or Acive Migration.

    s/does/does not/ ?

    --Steve

    Stephen Waits, Oct 22, 2005
  7. zdennis Guest

    Stephen Waits wrote:
    > zdennis wrote:
    >
    >> Peter Burns wrote:
    >>
    >>> *Does the book _cover_ the latest features...

    >> no, the agile web development with rails book does cover things like
    >> SwitchTower or Acive Migration.

    > s/does/does not/ ?

    yeah my bad, that is *does not*

    Zach

    zdennis, Oct 22, 2005

    thanks for the feedback. *off to buy the book* :)

    , Oct 22, 2005
  9. Dave Thomas Guest

    On Oct 22, 2005, at 12:11 AM, zdennis wrote:

    > no, the agile web development with rails book does cover things
    > like SwitchTower or Acive Migration.

    Not yet. I'm waiting for things to settle down a tad, and then will
    start working on it. I estimate several man-months of work, so don't
    hold your collective breath. However, we will be the first book to
    have 1.0 coverage.

    Folks with the PDF will continue to be able to upgrade it for free,
    both now and after the updates are in.

    Cheers

    Dave

    Dave Thomas, Nov 2, 2005