ain't java grand ?

Knute Johnson

Betty said:
I just got this error message from the java 4.2 compiler.
---
Consulting.java:152: cannot resolve symbol
symbol : variable $
location: class Consulting
perchance you meant '.'

Betty:

I never get good messages like that. I always have my bad code pointed
out with no compassion or consideration for my sensibilities what so ever!

Thomas G. Marshall

Betty coughed up:
I just got this error message from the java 4.2 compiler.
---
Consulting.java:152: cannot resolve symbol
symbol : variable $
location: class Consulting
perchance you meant '.'

Likely. Show me the line.

--
Enough is enough. It is /not/ a requirement that someone must google
relentlessly for an answer before posting in usenet. Newsgroups are

Dimitri Maziuk

Betty sez:
I just got this error message from the java 4.2 compiler.
---
Consulting.java:152: cannot resolve symbol
symbol : variable $
location: class Consulting
perchance you meant '.'

I like "unreachable statement" in "return;;", myself.

Dima

Joona I Palaste

Dimitri Maziuk said:
Betty sez:

I like "unreachable statement" in "return;;", myself.

I actually dislike Java's way of disallowing code that is otherwise
perfectly legal, but will never be executed. I also dislike Java's way
of disallowing statements that can't possibly have side effects. One of
my general principles (although not a rule set in stone) is that
languages should never have explicit "exceptional" conditions just to
disallow code that would otherwise be perfectly legal and harmless.
Such explicit conditions feel like bondage-and-discpline language to me,
and I prefer my bondage-and-discipline among humans, thank you very
much. =)