AJAX 101 -- event not firing

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by John Mott, Sep 14, 2007.

  1. John Mott

    John Mott Guest

    This is a total ID-10T error, but since its my first attempt I'm missing the
    obvious.

    I downloaded the framework, create an AJAX enabled app, added a page, and
    added an update panel with this:

    <asp:UpdatePanel ID="updateCategory" runat="server">
    <ContentTemplate>
    <asp:CheckBox runat="server" ID="chkCategory"
    OnCheckedChanged="chkCategory_OnCheck" />
    </ContentTemplate>
    </asp:UpdatePanel>

    However, the event isn't firing on click, the events are queued until the
    events.

    thanks,

    john

    John Mott, Sep 14, 2007

  2. John Mott

    bruce barker Guest

    if you want the checkbox to post to the server when chcecked, set
    AutoPostBack = true

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Sep 14, 2007

  3. John Mott

    John Mott Guest

    Thank you, that was it. I guess I assumed that putting it in a panel implied
    a server hit, but it makes more sense to have the controls do what they
    normally do.

    John

    John Mott, Sep 14, 2007
  4. John Mott

    John Mott Guest

    Re: AJAX 102 -- no value on a checkbox

    Thank you again. The next thing i found was that I can't figure out how to
    pass a value back in through a checkbox. It never occurred to me before that
    the <asp:checkbox> didn't have a "value" attribute, so how do you use a
    checkbox to send a value (like a key value to set or clear in a collection)
    back into the server?

    absent this ability i'll have to implement a button and some sort of
    mark/not marked state, which the checkbox is perfect for.

    thanks again

    john

    John Mott, Sep 14, 2007