AJAX and ATLAS, always ActiveX based?

Edwin Knoppert

If these are ActiveX based, that would not make my day.
We have the strong believe trying never to force a user to enable ActiveX.

(Like stupid updates from mcafee enforce to the use of activex for example)

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Ajax stands for "Asynchronous JavaScript And Xml". It utilizes JavaScript
for callbacks and each browser treats the callback a bit differently. It is
not an embedded ActiveX control.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

Edwin Knoppert

Afaik it uses an com interface: XMLhttpRequest.
Opera has it running without asking, fine by me (opera only supports a few
known activex components).
However, afaik msie put's it under activex section and user might have
turned it off or on question mode.
To put that on, activex must be enabled, and opens the door for hackers.

Guest

I've had the same concerns, I can't control my users browsers settings and
they may have disabled ActiveX in I.E. One of the nice things that I've
found is Callbacks in ASP.NET 2.0 handles this situation by dynamically
creating an IFRAME and using that instead. I'm not sure about ATLAS but I do
know that the latest betas of AJAX.NET Pro also implement similar
functionality if ActiveX is not enabled for IE.

Good luck and hopefully IE7 won't require ActiveX for XMLHttpRequest

PL

There are always tradeoffs with any techonlogy, you will never see a situation
where everything works if the user starts to turn off things.

This is a problem that will increase as security becomes more and more tightly
set from the start without requiring the user to turn things off.

It's up to the developer to try and work around that, persoanally I think AJAX
like functionality is still in it's childhood and shouldn't be used anywhere other that
in intranet or admin type of applications, but that's just my personal view.

PL.

Bruce Barker

..net callbacks and atlas use xmlhttprequest, which is an active/x control in
IE, but builtin to mozilla, firefox, safari, and opera. if the object cannot
be created an iframe is used.

the main downside to this approach in IE, is if activex is diables, the
fallback the iframe works fine, but if the user runs in warning mode, they
will get a popup window to respond to the first time your page makes a
callback. if they anwser yes, xmlhttprequest will be used, if they say no,
the iframe will be used.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)