ajax development pause between event and server call

ton

Hi

What I want is to get a specific tooltip for some fields of my fill in
forms. To do so
I'll use an onmouseover event.
I do not want to connect to the server directly since users can move their
mouse just to get to a field, and I'll will avoid unwanted data traffic. So
this is what I had in mind:

- click on a field will call an ajax function to get the special instruction
tooltip which will be displayed as a tool tip.
- on mouse over I will wait at least 3 seconds before I will call the server
to get the data

Is this possible ?

thanks

ton

Guest

Hi

What I want is to get a specific tooltip for some fields of my fill in
forms. To do so
I'll use an onmouseover event.
I do not want to connect to the server directly since users can move their
mouse just to get to a field, and I'll will avoid unwanted data traffic. So
this is what I had in mind:

- click on a field will call an ajax function to get the special instruction
tooltip which will be displayed as a tool tip.
- on mouse over I will wait at least 3 seconds before I will call the server
to get the data

Is this possible ?

thanks

ton

Hi, I think you can do it in both ways. But I think it is more clever
and user friendly to show the tooltip on click. Let's suppose that you
did it with 3 sec delay. User moves mouse over... 1... 2... nothing...
he/she will click on it, because it will be not clear that you
implemented it with delay. Isn't it?

bruce barker

sure. on mouseover you start a timer, then on mouse out cancel it. you
probably want to build an ajax queue to the server to handle overlaping
requests (user moved to new field before server response). you might
want to precache the tool tips (download to a hidden frame at startup).

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

ton

thanks i'll try your suggestion