AJAX enabled London Underground route finder

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by ezusbo, Jun 13, 2006.

  1. ezusbo

    ezusbo Guest

    Hi

    I have implemented this AJAX enabled route finder for getting from A to
    B on the London Underground network, with built in Google Maps for each
    station along the way. The AJAX piece allows for auto completion of
    station names and performs the search itself. The underlying framework
    is Ruby on Rails and scriptaculous.

    If you live in London, you might find it useful. Let me know of any
    useful feedback.

    http://public.ok2life.com/tube/routes

    Regards
    David
    ezusbo, Jun 13, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. ezusbo

    Guest

    great app.
    , Jun 13, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. ezusbo wrote:
    <snip>
    > If you live in London, you might find it useful. Let me know
    > of any useful feedback.
    >
    > http://public.ok2life.com/tube/routes


    LOL

    Waterloo to Monument

    Includes the proposed rout->

    Waterloo
    Southwark
    London Bridge
    Bermondsey
    Canada Water
    Canary Wharf
    North Greenwich
    Canning Town
    West Ham
    Bromley-By-Bow
    Bow Road
    Mile End
    Stepney Green
    Whitechapel
    Aldgate East
    Tower Hill
    Monument

    That is all the way east to West Ham before coming back west. A 14+ mile
    round trip to end up less than 2 miles north-east of where you started.
    The shortest proposed rout is 15 stops, going clock-wise round the
    centre of London.

    Shorter routs would include 1.) Waterloo, London Bridge, Bank, and then
    the 100m walk to Monument, or 2.) Waterloo, Embankment, Temple,
    Blackfriars, Mansion House, Cannon Street, Monument (i.e only going
    directly north an east).

    While Waterloo to Bank proposes a nice direct rout using the Waterloo
    and City line, which is going to be closed and unusable for the next
    year or so.

    At least if you use:-

    <URL: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/ >

    - you usually get the shortest/quickest routs proposed, an estimate of
    how long the journey would take, and an explanation of why there is
    little chance of actually being able to make the journey by London
    underground.
    Richard Cornford, Jun 14, 2006
    #3
  4. ezusbo

    Guest

    ezusbo wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have implemented this AJAX enabled route finder for getting from A to
    > B on the London Underground network, with built in Google Maps for each
    > station along the way. The AJAX piece allows for auto completion of
    > station names and performs the search itself. The underlying framework
    > is Ruby on Rails and scriptaculous.
    >
    > If you live in London, you might find it useful. Let me know of any
    > useful feedback.
    >
    > http://public.ok2life.com/tube/routes
    >
    > Regards
    > David


    It didn't find the best (from my POV) route from euston to liverpool
    street, which is to walk a block to euston square, then catch a single
    train from there ;)
    , Jun 14, 2006
    #4
  5. ezusbo

    Guest

    Really nice use of AJAX. Not being a Londoner I typed in some made up
    names "Picadilly" to "Herefordshire". I was able to type both in and
    hit "Find Routes" before getting any feedback. I got "Application
    Error (rails)". You might want to catch that error and put up
    something useful to the user.

    Then I read the text at the top and started waiting for the feedback
    popups when I started typing. Now I know how to get from Temple to
    Baker Street.

    Bob


    ezusbo wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have implemented this AJAX enabled route finder for getting from A to
    > B on the London Underground network, with built in Google Maps for each
    > station along the way. The AJAX piece allows for auto completion of
    > station names and performs the search itself. The underlying framework
    > is Ruby on Rails and scriptaculous.
    >
    > If you live in London, you might find it useful. Let me know of any
    > useful feedback.
    >
    > http://public.ok2life.com/tube/routes
    >
    , Jun 14, 2006
    #5
  6. ezusbo

    9.co.uk Guest

    wrote:

    > Then I read the text at the top and started waiting for the feedback
    > popups when I started typing. Now I know how to get from Temple to
    > Baker Street.


    Well, now you know an excessively long route between them - for some
    reason changing at embankment to the Bakerloo line is completely missed
    by the algorithm used...
    9.co.uk, Jun 14, 2006
    #6
  7. ezusbo

    David Tran Guest

    Richard Cornford wrote:
    > ezusbo wrote:
    > <snip>
    > > If you live in London, you might find it useful. Let me know
    > > of any useful feedback.
    > >
    > > http://public.ok2life.com/tube/routes

    >
    > LOL
    >
    > Waterloo to Monument
    >
    > Includes the proposed rout->
    >
    > Waterloo
    > Southwark
    > London Bridge
    > Bermondsey
    > Canada Water
    > Canary Wharf
    > North Greenwich
    > Canning Town
    > West Ham
    > Bromley-By-Bow
    > Bow Road
    > Mile End
    > Stepney Green
    > Whitechapel
    > Aldgate East
    > Tower Hill
    > Monument
    >
    > That is all the way east to West Ham before coming back west. A 14+ mile
    > round trip to end up less than 2 miles north-east of where you started.
    > The shortest proposed rout is 15 stops, going clock-wise round the
    > centre of London.
    >
    > Shorter routs would include 1.) Waterloo, London Bridge, Bank, and then
    > the 100m walk to Monument, or 2.) Waterloo, Embankment, Temple,
    > Blackfriars, Mansion House, Cannon Street, Monument (i.e only going
    > directly north an east).
    >
    > While Waterloo to Bank proposes a nice direct rout using the Waterloo
    > and City line, which is going to be closed and unusable for the next
    > year or so.
    >
    > At least if you use:-
    >
    > <URL: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/ >
    >
    > - you usually get the shortest/quickest routs proposed, an estimate of
    > how long the journey would take, and an explanation of why there is
    > little chance of actually being able to make the journey by London
    > underground.


    Yes you are right, I have had feedbacks about this on the other forums
    too. I will be incorporating this knowledge into the application soon.
    People have been helpful in sending me these walkable shortcuts, like
    Bank to Monument, Lancaster Gate to Paddington etc. I guess the system
    is only as smart as the information it contains, and currently this is
    limited to tube stations only.

    David

    David
    David Tran, Jun 14, 2006
    #7
  8. ezusbo

    David Tran Guest

    9.co.uk wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Then I read the text at the top and started waiting for the feedback
    > > popups when I started typing. Now I know how to get from Temple to
    > > Baker Street.

    >
    > Well, now you know an excessively long route between them - for some
    > reason changing at embankment to the Bakerloo line is completely missed
    > by the algorithm used...


    Will try to do better in the future. Most of the common searches seem
    to work OK, as you can see from the link "Today's Searches", but the
    application is currently oblivious to walkable shortcuts. I am planning
    on adding this in the near future, and also a feedback facility so you
    guys can tell me exactly where I went wrong.

    Thanks for the feedbacks.

    David
    David Tran, Jun 14, 2006
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4gRWR3YXJkcw==?=

    Deploying ASP.NET AJAX-Enabled Web site to host without AJAX insta

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4gRWR3YXJkcw==?=, Feb 20, 2007, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    579
    Patrick
    Feb 21, 2007
  2. mark4asp
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,117
    Steve C. Orr [MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASP Insider]
    Mar 24, 2007
  3. oldschoolpunk

    Join the Underground

    oldschoolpunk, Jul 29, 2011, in forum: C Programming
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    251
    oldschoolpunk
    Jul 29, 2011
  4. ezusbo
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    107
    David Tran
    Jun 14, 2006
  5. David Tran
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    110
    David Tran
    Jul 13, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page