ajax error on firefox

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by germ, Jun 28, 2007.

  1. germ

    germ Guest

    doing a simple page webmethod call an a page via PageMethods works fine in
    ie7 & opera9
    the same call on firefox ( and I assume netscape ) generates the following
    error :

    Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80040111
    (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE) [nsIXMLHttpRequest.status]" nsresult: "0x80040111
    (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE)" location: "JS frame ::
    http://hgha.gerzio.ca/ScriptResourc...F0ui1Tz1p-s2eu0h41S_qMA1&t=633179517344763787
    :: Sys$Net$XMLHttpExecutor$get_statusCode :: line 4166" data: no]
    Source File:
    http://hgha.gerzio.ca/ScriptResourc...F0ui1Tz1p-s2eu0h41S_qMA1&t=633179517344763787
    Line: 4166

    The script code this points to is :
    //-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    // Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    //-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    // MicrosoftAjax.js
    // Microsoft AJAX Framework.

    .. . .
    function Sys$Net$XMLHttpExecutor$get_statusCode() {
    /// <value type="Number"></value>
    if (arguments.length !== 0) throw Error.parameterCount();
    if (!this._responseAvailable) {
    throw
    Error.invalidOperation(String.format(Sys.Res.cannotCallBeforeResponse,
    'get_statusCode'));
    }
    if (!this._xmlHttpRequest) {
    throw
    Error.invalidOperation(String.format(Sys.Res.cannotCallOutsideHandler,
    'get_statusCode'));
    }

    >> return this._xmlHttpRequest.status;

    }

    Google turns up a number of references to this problem in general but no
    fixes for asp.net ajax in particular.
    Since this problem is caused by a problem buried in the microsoft ajax code
    I am at a loss as to how to proceed.
    Do we just drop ajax for firefox & netscape users until MS puts out a fix ?
    Or is there a fix out there that I haven't stumbled across yet ?
    Gerry

    germ, Jun 28, 2007

  2. germ

    germ Guest

    so ... what .. is this a dirty little secret that I wasn't supposed to
    mention ?

    Is no one else using asp.net ajax web service calls or are they just
    ignoring any browsers that generate this error ?

    germ, Jul 1, 2007

  3. germ

    germ Guest

    ok - just for future reference in case anyone else runs into this issue
    the error occurs when the javascript function invoking the PageMethod is
    called from a different window
    ( mozilla seems to be maybe getting confused as to which objects live in
    which window ? - or not )

    <script type="text/javascript">

    var imagebrowser =null;
    function SelectImage()
    {
    . . .
    imagebrowser =
    window.open("Selector.aspx","Selector","menubar=0,minimizable=0,modal=1,status=0,toolbar=0,width=600,height=600");
    }

    /*

    PageMethods call will fail under mozilla if called from this
    function when called from another window : opener.SelectCallback(
    selectdURL );
    splitting this into 2 functions and using timer to invoke second
    part , letting this & functions complete solves the problem

    function SelectCallback( url )
    {
    imagebrowser.close();
    imagebrowser=null;
    . . .
    PageMethods.DoSomething( url , DoSomethingCallback , Timeout ,
    Error );
    }

    */

    function SelectCallback( url )
    {
    imagebrowser.close();
    imagebrowser=null;
    setTimeout("SelectCallback2('"+url+"')",0);
    }

    function SelectCallback2( path )
    {
    . . .
    PageMethods.DoSomething( path , DoSomethingCallback, Timeout ,
    Error );
    }

    function DoSomethingCallback( rslt )
    {
    . . .
    }

    function Timeout( txt )
    {
    alert('Timeout '+txt);
    }

    function Error( txt )
    {
    alert('Error '+txt);
    }

    </script>

    <input type="button" value="Select Image" onclick="GetImage();return 0;" />

    germ, Jul 4, 2007