AJAX Examples

Guest

controlsPlease could some of you here post some of your live examples of AJAX
(esp drag panels, collapsable panels, and popup menu.)
(It's one thing to talk about how great something is, but it's another to
really see how great something is.)

Thanks

Javier G. Lozano

controlsPlease could some of you here post some of your live examples of AJAX
(esp drag panels, collapsable panels, and popup menu.)
(It's one thing to talk about how great something is, but it's another to
really see how great something is.)

Thanks

You should check out the content under ajax.asp.net for what you're
looking for. They have great video tutorials and sample applications
(with source) for you to download.

Guest

Thanks for replying,
They great examples and i've gone through them and the source, and i've
played around withthem making modifications, but they are not real work
examples.
Do you have any sites where these items are included in production?

Guest

Hi Mr. Dog,

What kind of "real work" are you trying to accomplish? What
examples/techniques do you need shown? The AJAX video tutorials apply
metaphorically to how you might want to develop for production.

Two things you might want to look at:
a) if you're looking for ultra-efficiency your AJAX deployments, read Jeff
Prosise's MSDN article on UpdatePanel (or attend one of his insanely great
talks.) In a nutshell, Prosise explains how the "dirty little secret" of the
easy-to-use UpdatePanel is that it is great for insuring a nice AJAX-ey user
experience, but lousy from the point of view of server/ network efficiency.
The server must generate nearly an entire postback's worth of processing --
not lightweight as some presume all AJAX stuff might be. Prosise
demonstrates some handcoding that is much more efficient.

b) If you're looking for some other very capable AJAX-enabled widgets for
"real work," take a look at Telerik's component set.

-KF

Guest

with respect i thank you for your reply,
I know that the vid's are great (seen'em), the examples are great (done'em),
and i even know that the server pays a high price for the MS version of AJAX
(FYI other technologies such as ColdFusion pay less of a price, doesn't
really need to do a full post back.) after attending the seminars at
Microsoft.

Ah, by "real work" i mean real, not examples. Do you have a link to a site
that "really" uses MS AJAX?

I just want some one who has created a site using AJAX to give me a link so
i can see what they have done. Not looking for widgets, and no i'm nogoing to
steal code. i want to actually see a site the uses AJAX.

I really would appreciate you help if you can give it.
Thanks

Guest

FWIW I will have some "real work" that "really" uses MS AJAX Real Soon Now,
and I'd be happy to send you a link. I do not care if you steal code.

I'm sure that as MSFT's Ajax stuff matures, there will be "leaner and
meaner" controls for doing updates. It's a little weird to call ASP.NET AJAX
a "technology" -- it's more of an good implementation of an existing tech
with the goal being a simpler and more abstracted experience for the client
programmer (you and me.) If you believe in AJAX and its premises, it should
be possible for Microsoft to make something that makes you happy.

-KF

Mike

KF.
i would be interested in seeing an 'real working AJAX enabled site'
myself. All I've seen and done are examples but haven't seen a real site
using the stuff. I'm curious how it performs in a real world environment
using database data to populate the controls, etc. I've to have done the
examples, the videos, etc and they're all good, but I would like to see a
real site (a non microsoft owned site) using this technology.

Mike

I want to see 'non microsoft owned web sites' and real world web sites.
some of these sites if not all are owned by Microsoft.

I checked out pageflakes.com before and I did like it. Its a nice looking
'portal'.

Guest

thank you! You help was very appreciated!!
I did notice that not too may dot.net based sites exist on this page. The
site that closly resembles what prompted my origional posting was
PageFlakes.com that has a series of movable panels with autonomous content.

And now for the research: is this possible in dot.net using the ajax toolkit.