AJAX extended radiobuttonlist unselects selected value in popup

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by SAL, Sep 5, 2008.

  1. SAL

    SAL Guest

    hello,
    I'm using a radiobuttonlist in an updatepanel in an item template in a
    Gridview control. I'm populating the radiobuttonlist in the RowDataBound
    event. I have the control toolkit registered in the page and I've got code
    to get the selected value from it in the
    Radiobuttonlist_SelectedIndexChanged event.
    The code in there is:

    Protected Sub rblFMSValue_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal
    e As System.EventArgs)
    If Not (String.IsNullOrEmpty(rblFMSValue.SelectedValue)) Then
    Dim s As String = rblFMSValue.SelectedValue
    Dim pos As Integer = s.IndexOf(": ")
    s = s.Substring(pos + 2)
    PopupControlExtender.GetProxyForCurrentPopup(Me.Page).Commit(s)
    End If
    End Sub

    But, when the code block get executed, the SelectedValue of the RBL is
    always an empty string so the code within the if block never executes. It
    never dismisses the popup after the user selects an item and unselects the
    item selected (from the user's point of view). I have the Autopostback
    property set to True and the EnableViewState property set to True. What
    could the issue be?

    SAL, Sep 5, 2008

  2. Hi Steve,

    As you said:
    I'm populating the radiobuttonlist in the RowDataBound event
    Could you tell me how do you do this? Is the RadioButtonList control
    defined in the aspx or created dynamically in the RowDataBound event
    handler?
    In addition, where do you add the event handler? Please note if it's done
    in the RowDataBound event handler the SelectedIndexChanged event handler
    will not fire because RowDataBound event doesn't fire on postback (if
    you're using DataSource control or bind the GridView on the first page
    load, and not call GridView.DataBind() method on postback explicitly). Thus
    the SelectedIndexChanged event handler is not attached to the
    RadioButtonList control and will not fire at all.

    If my guess above is correct you can attach the event handler in the inline
    code
    <asp:RadioButtonList AutoPostBack="true" ID="RadioButtonList1"
    runat="server"
    onselectedindexchanged="rblFMSValue_SelectedIndexChanged">

    If my guess is wrong please send me a demo project that can reproduce this
    problem. I'll have a look and investigate.

    Regards,
    Allen Chen

    --------------------

    Allen Chen [MSFT], Sep 8, 2008

  3. Hi Steve,

    Allen Chen [MSFT], Sep 8, 2008
  4. Hi Steve,

    Have you solved this problem?

    Regards,
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    --------------------

    Allen Chen [MSFT], Sep 10, 2008
  5. SAL

    SAL Guest

    Actually, I gave up on it since our company is still on IE6 and I can't
    force an upgrade. So, until we get to IE 7, it doesn't look like I can do
    much AJAX.

    SAL, Sep 17, 2008
  6. SAL

    SAL Guest

    Hi Allen, I had the radiobuttonlist defined in the page as such along with
    the event handler:
    <asp:panel ID="panFMSValue" runat="server" CssClass="popupControl">
    <asp:UpdatePanel ID="upFMSValue" runat="server"
    UpdateMode="Conditional">
    <ContentTemplate>
    <asp:RadioButtonList
    ID="rblFMSValue" runat="server"
    AutoPostBack="true"
    OnSelectedIndexChanged="rblFMSValue_SelectedIndexChanged"
    Width="144px" />
    </ContentTemplate>
    </asp:UpdatePanel>
    </asp:panel>
    <ajax:popupControlExtender ID="PopupControlExtender1"
    runat="server"
    TargetControlID="txtFMSValue"
    PopupControlID="panFMSValue" CommitProperty="value"
    CommitScript="e.value;" EnableViewState="False">
    </ajax:popupControlExtender>

    However, I did, regrettably, forgo this approach due to the AJAX/IE6
    incompatibilities.

    SAL, Sep 18, 2008
  7. Hi Steve,

    I'm sorry to hear that. Are there any incompatibility issues you met with
    other than the combobox&other elements overlay issue? The overlay issue, I
    think, can be worked around by expanding the width of the column of the

    If you decide to use AJAX again please feel free to ask questions here. I'm
    willing to work with you to solve any problems.

    Regards,
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Support
    --------------------
> [...]
    this
    | > problem. I'll have a look and investigate.
    | >
    | > Regards,
    | > Allen Chen
    | >
    | > --------------------
    | > | From: "SAL" <>
    | > | Subject: AJAX extended radiobuttonlist unselects selected value in
    popup
    | > | Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 12:11:09 -0700
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    | > |
    | > | hello,
    | > | I'm using a radiobuttonlist in an updatepanel in an item template in a
    | > | Gridview control. I'm populating the radiobuttonlist in the
    RowDataBound
    | > | event. I have the control toolkit registered in the page and I've got
    | > code
    | > | to get the selected value from it in the
    | > | Radiobuttonlist_SelectedIndexChanged event.
    | > |
    | > | Protected Sub rblFMSValue_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As Object,
    | > ByVal
    | > | e As System.EventArgs)
    | > | If Not (String.IsNullOrEmpty(rblFMSValue.SelectedValue)) Then
    | > | Dim s As String = rblFMSValue.SelectedValue
    | > | Dim pos As Integer = s.IndexOf(": ")
    | > | s = s.Substring(pos + 2)
    | > |
    PopupControlExtender.GetProxyForCurrentPopup(Me.Page).Commit(s)
    | > | End If
    | > | End Sub
    | > |
    | > | But, when the code block get executed, the SelectedValue of the RBL is
    | > | always an empty string so the code within the if block never
    executes.
    | > It
    | > | never dismisses the popup after the user selects an item and unselects
    | > the
    | > | item selected (from the user's point of view). I have the Autopostback
    | > | property set to True and the EnableViewState property set to True.
    What
    | > | could the issue be?
    | > |
    | > |