Ajax Handlers, Web.Config, Machine.Config

TampaWebDevelopment

I have a server with about 50 web applications on it. I would like to
enable ASP.NET Ajax on all of them, but I don't want to spend the time
manually modifying each and every web.config. Can I simply add the
ajax entries to the machine.config instead? And, if so, exactly what
are the entries I will need to add? Thanks for your help!

George Ter-Saakov

I kind of do not see a point here.
To actually "enable" Ajax in application you will have to modify the ASPX
page (if not the code) to include ScriptManager into it.

So modifying web.config seems to me kind of small task comparing to the rest
that needed to actually "enable" ajax.

George.

Michael Nemtsev

Hello (e-mail address removed),

Adding just reference to the all project doesn't make any sence if your are
not going to use ScriptManager on pages.

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

TampaWebDevelopment

Hello (e-mail address removed),

Adding just reference to the all project doesn't make any sence if your are
not going to use ScriptManager on pages.

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog:http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog:http://devkids.blogspot.com/

I have a server with about 50 web applications on it. I would like to
enable ASP.NET Ajax on all of them, but I don't want to spend the time
manually modifying each and every web.config. Can I simply add the
ajax entries to the machine.config instead? And, if so, exactly what
are the entries I will need to add? Thanks for your help!- Hide quoted text -

We have many different applications that all use the same source. So,
for example, we make a change to Default.aspx in the root. When we
roll the changes to the production environment, all 50 we applications
get that change. We do not roll out changes to the web.config as each
web.config has its own database connection string etc. So, if I put
things like script managers, etc. I only need to do this once. Our
"roll out" process takes care of the rest. But, if I want to add items
to the web.config, I will need to do it manually to each one. Make
sense?

Michael Nemtsev

Hello (e-mail address removed),

No it's clear.
So, AFAIK not all ASP.NET AJAX configuration setting can be into machinge.config,
some of them are into web.config.
See this article "Configuring ASP.NET AJAX" http://ajax.asp.net/docs/ConfiguringASPNETAJAX.aspx

To avoid changing all web.configs you can add desired changes to the master
web.config which locates in %WINDOWS%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\web.config

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

Hello (e-mail address removed),

Adding just reference to the all project doesn't make any sence if
your are not going to use ScriptManager on pages.

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog:http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog:http://devkids.blogspot.com/
"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high
and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it" (c)
Michelangelo
I have a server with about 50 web applications on it. I would like
to enable ASP.NET Ajax on all of them, but I don't want to spend the
time manually modifying each and every web.config. Can I simply add
the ajax entries to the machine.config instead? And, if so, exactly
what are the entries I will need to add? Thanks for your help!- Hide