Ajax not working - still doing post-backs

JFord

Hi,

I'm new to AJAX and I've been going crazy trying to figure out what's
stopping my controls from updating on the client side rather than just
normally sending a post-back.

I have a script manager, and an UpdatePanel which contains a small form and
a gridview.
Upon submitting the form, the Gridview should be updated. But it keeps on
doing it on the server side.

Here's an edited part of my code:
<form id="form1" runat="server">
<asp:ScriptManager
ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server" />
<asp:UpdatePanel
ID="UpdatePanel1" runat="server">
<ContentTemplate>

<asp:TextBox
ID="TextBoxValue" runat="server"></asp:TextBox>

<asp:Button
ID="Search" runat="server" CausesValidation="False" Height="22px"

onclick="Search_Click" Text="חפש" UseSubmitBehavior="False" Width="48px" />

<asp:RadioButtonList
ID="RadioButtonListDic" runat="server"

RepeatDirection="Horizontal">
<asp:ListItem
Selected="True" Text="1234">1234</asp:ListItem>
<asp:ListItem
Text="1234">1234</asp:ListItem>
</asp:RadioButtonList>

<asp:GridView ID="GridViewResults" runat="server"
CellPadding="4" ForeColor="#333333"
GridLines="None"
AutoGenerateColumns="False">

</asp:GridView>
</ContentTemplate>
<Triggers>
<asp:AsyncPostBackTrigger ControlID="Search"
EventName="Click" />
</Triggers>
</asp:UpdatePanel>
<asp:UpdateProgress ID="UpdateProgress1" runat="server"
AssociatedUpdatePanelID="UpdatePanel1">
<ProgressTemplate>
Searching
</ProgressTemplate>
</asp:UpdateProgress>
</form>

As you can see, I've even tried to specificly make the Search button update.
Also I should mention that I'm using a Masterpage, with no ajax controls.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks,
JFord

Eliyahu Goldin

With ajax, your page also sends postbacks. You benefit in less html being
sent to the client, otherwise there will be the same server-side processing.

JFord

OK, then my terminology was incorrect.

What I ment by "still doing post-backs", is that the page keeps refreshing
like any other page with a form, instead of dynamicly updating the table.
Like the UpdatePanel and ScriptManager were not there.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer

JFord said:
[...]