AJAX postback question

Cirene

I have a simple page - 2 dropdowns, 2 textboxes. 1 set of dropdown/textbox
is in the updatepanel. 1 set of dropdown/textbox is not. When I select a
dropdown the textbox is updated with teh value.

Why is it that the updatepanel one still seems to "flicker" on postback? I
would think that because I have it in an updatepanel taht it wouldn't.
(Yes, I have scriptmanager before it.)

Thanks.

bruce barker

the update panel replaces all the html in the panel with what is sent back
from the server. The browser makes an attempt to compare and reduce the
flicker, but is not always sucessful.

I would not use an update panel for something as trival as reloading a
dropdown. use a simple ajax callback. you shoudl also disable the dropdown
while waiting for the async return. to see why, in the dropdown hit the
up/down arrows, you site will probably error out.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

bruce barker

you can make a webservice call from javascript. if you are just setting a
value in the textbox based on the dropdrown, you might be able to just use
javascript and no ajax.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)