AJAX simultaneous requests getting queued up

dmagliola

Hello all,

I'm experiencing a problem with ASP.Net for which I can't find a
reasonable explanation, or any information.

I'm currently developing an application that, through AJAX, asks the
server for updated information to show, and can also send information
to the server.
To do this, I have an XMLHttpRequest that queries an Asynchronous HTTP
Handler (implementing IHttpAsyncHandler), which does not reply until
there is actual information, or a time passes (30 seconds).
In order to send information to the server, I open a second
XMLHttpRequest and POST to another HTTP handler (this one is
synchronous).

Now, for this to work, both requests have to be simultaneous,
obviously, but what i'm getting is that the second request (the one
that POSTs) waits until the first one returns before sending, which
makes the app completely unresponsive.

Since I could think of a million things that could be going wrong here
(like the Asynchronous handler doing something weird), I created a
very simple test scenario to isolate the problem:

1) I created two synchronous (regular) HTTP handlers, that simply wait
for 5 seconds, and then reply with "OK-1" or "OK-2" (depending on
which one was queried).
2) In case I was forgetting something non-obvious (like implementing
some interface), I also tried creating these two as Pages, instead of
HTTP handlers, and I got exactly the same results.
3) I created a page which onLoad starts an XMLHttpRequest GET to the
first handler, and once it's finished, it calls the same function
again, creating a loop, which successfully outputs "OK-1" every 5
seconds.
4) I added a button that starts another XMLHttpRequest GET to the
second handler, only once (no loop)

This is where the problem lies. When I press the button, it seems like
requests are queued up. Once the first request comes back, after 5
seconds the second comes back, and then after another 5 seconds the
first one comes back again.

To make sure the problem wasn't on the client, I tried this with both
Firefox and IE, and I used 3 different ways of doing the Ajax call
(Prototype, AJAXRequest, and manually). I also tried both from
localhost, and from another computer in my network. All gave me the
same results.

Finally, if I implemented the 2 handlers on PHP (sorry for the
blasphemy), this worked exactly as expected, so this must be something
on the server, not on the client.

Also, it's not something about "the server not responding
simultaneously to two request from the same client" (which it
shouldn't anyway), since if I open 2 browser windows, the "loops" in
both work perfectly and simultaneously.

What I don't get is what difference there is between doing the two
requests from the same machine, and doing them from the same browser
window. Like I said, it works with PHP on the server, so i'm not
hitting the 2-connection limit on the client.

I'm seriously stumped on this one (and quite desperate, to be honest),
since if I can't fix this, the workaroung is looking PRETTY ugly
(aborting the pending request, creating the POST, then resuming the
loop, yuck...)

I assume this is some feature hiding somewhere inside ??.config, but i
can't find anything (i tried mindless things like setting debug=false,
trace=false, and other desperate attempts with no luck)

Any help, or pointers will be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Daniel Magliola

George Ter-Saakov

With ASP.NET (as well as with old ASP)
requests for the same session are queued up. Meaning that second will not
execute until first one is done.

so probably it's not problem with AJAX, you just need to specify that pages
you return information with are Session-less (or HttpHandlers in your case).

George

Daniel Magliola

George,

Thank you for your resopnse.
I actually found the solution, and it was close to what you are saying
(I wish google groups would've let me know that you answered)

I was already implementing HttpHandlers, but they were not session-
less. In fact, i DO need sessions.
What I ended up doing was implementing IReadonlySessionState in these,
so they could access session but wouldn't be blocking it.

Thanks again for the help!

Daniel Magliola