    Visual Studio solution that consists of samples. How do I get these
    controls to show up in my toolbox when I build new projects?

    -Scott

    Scott M., Mar 19, 2008

  2. First of all, what have you done so far (and what version of Visual Studio
    are you using)? Here is one page that you may find very useful:

    http://asp.net/ajax/documentation/live/ConfiguringASPNETAJAX.aspx
    http://asp.net/AJAX/Documentation/Live/InstallingASPNETAJAX.aspx

    And there is also a forum for ASP.NET AJAX at:

    http://forums.asp.net/default.aspx?GroupID=34

    These sites have all been very useful to me when I installed and set up
    ASP.NET AJAX on my machine, so hopefully they will be useful to you as well.
    Two things that I want to mention that it sounds like you might not know (I
    didn't either at that point in my experience) are:

    1. You need to copy the AjaxControlToolkit.dll to the bin directory of all
    sites in order to use the controls. There may be a built-in way to have
    Visual Studio 2005 automatically copy it there when you create a new
    Project, but I haven't found it, and since it's not hard to copy a file, I'm
    just sticking with the copying.

    2. One of the steps somewhere on one of the pages I gave you links to are
    instructions for adding the Controls to the ToolBox, it requires an extra
    step, so you will not see them there until you do that. Good Luck!
    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    Nathan Sokalski, Mar 19, 2008

  3. Scott M.

    Scott M. Guest

    Hi Nathan,

    Thanks for your time on this, but I'm not asking about installing ASP .NET
    AJAX, I'm asking about the ASP .NET AJAX Toolkit, which is not the same
    thing as the basic AJAX Extensions that those articles describe.

    I'm using VS 2008 (where the AJAX extensions are built-it from the get-go)
    and have downloaded the ASP .NET AJAX Toolkit, which seems to exists as one,
    very big, ASP .NET Web Site, but I don't know how to utilize this and get
    the Toolkit controls show up in VS 2008 for use in other projects.

    -Scott

    Scott M., Mar 19, 2008
  4. It's a simple DLL you need to include in your project. Just right click in
    your "control" panel and choose "add control"
    Then browse to the DLL you've downloaded and add it.

    AJAX control will show up on "control" panel and DLL will be automaticly
    added to the prject (will be in a BIN folder).

    George.

    George Ter-Saakov, Mar 19, 2008
  5. Scott M.

    Scott M. Guest

    I don't have a simple.dll as you describe. What I have is a large ASP .NET
    Web Site with many .aspx and .js pages.

    -Scott

    Scott M., Mar 19, 2008
  6. when you download AJAX toolkit it comes with a lot of
    examples/documentation.....
    You only need one DLL. Go to BIN folder when you unzip toolkit.

    That is the DLL I was referring too.

    George.

    George Ter-Saakov, Mar 19, 2008
  7. Scott M.

    Scott M. Guest

    There are 4 assemblies in my "Binaries" (not BIN) folder:

    BuildVsi.dll
    JavaScriptCommentStripper.dll
    Microsoft.Web.Testing.dll
    Tools.dll

    Which one do I want?

    Scott M., Mar 20, 2008
  8. On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 20:25:13 -0400, "Scott M." <>
    wrote:

    >There are 4 assemblies in my "Binaries" (not BIN) folder:
    >
    >BuildVsi.dll
    >JavaScriptCommentStripper.dll
    >Microsoft.Web.Testing.dll
    >Tools.dll
    >
    >Which one do I want?

    Check out the "How Do I: Get Started with ASP.NET AJAX" video
    http://www.asp.net/learn/ajax-videos/

    Registered User, Mar 20, 2008
  9. Hello Scott,

    I think the DLL referred by George is the one in the folder:
    AjaxControlToolkit/AjaxControlToolkit/bin/Debut(or
    Release)/AjaxControlTookit.dll. If you don't see the bin folder, you need
    to open the solution (AjaxControlToolkit.sln) and compile it. After you get
    the DLL, you can add it to Visual Studio Toolbox by right clicking Toolbox,
    selecting "Choose Items..", and locate the DLL from the Browse button,
    click OK.

    Regards,
    Jialiang Ge (, remove 'online.')
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    .

    Jialiang Ge [MSFT], Mar 20, 2008
  10. Yes, that is what I am talking about....I did not remember the name exactly
    but remembered that it's quite obvious.
    Thanks you...

    George.

    George Ter-Saakov, Mar 20, 2008
  11. What have you downloaded?

    I think you downloaded source code. Which is ok and you can compile it
    yourself.
    But i would advice you to download compiled version. Belive me it's no fun
    to look at the source :)

    Go here
    http://www.codeplex.com/AtlasControlToolkit/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=11121
    and download AjaxControlToolkit-NoSource.zip

    George.

    George Ter-Saakov, Mar 20, 2008
  12. Scott M.

    Scott M. Guest

    Ok, I've got the .dll and have added the Toolkit items to my VS Toolbox.

    Now, one more question....

    I do see the .vsi project for the AJAX Control Extender project template and
    can install that just fine, but I don't see a .vsi for an ASP .NET AJAX
    project template, as all the documentation says I should get so that I can
    have a choice in the project selector dialog for a new project that already
    gives me a reference to the .dll and a page with a script manager on it.

    -Scott

    Scott M., Mar 20, 2008
  13. I believe that one comes with AJAX runtime itself (not controls).
    Which VS version are you using? With 2008 it is already there. I mean all
    projects support AJAX so there is not need for project template.
    So you can start dumping Ajax control on a page of your project without
    doing anything else. Do not forget to add ScriptManager first though.

    George.

    George Ter-Saakov, Mar 20, 2008