AJAX Update Panel w I.E.7 Problem

GaryDean

I have an UpdatePanel on one of my aspx pages with a ListBox, Image, and a
TextBox inside it. When an item is selected in the list box my codebehind
file displays a new picture in the image and new text in the TextBox. It
works wonderful in I.E. 6. No Postback - no extra code.

BUT... It does not work right in I.E. 7 (nor FireFox 2.0). The textbox
refreshes but the image does not refresh (however the aspect ratio of the
picture does change according to the newly selected picture.)

You can see this work with I.E.6 or fail with I.E.7 at
http://www.deanblakely.com/FamilyPhoto.aspx

What can be causing this failure in the I.E. 7 and FireFox 2.0 browsers?

Mark Fitzpatrick

Some possible idea. If your pictures are pulling their filenames from the
listbox directly, the listbox values aren't properly formatted since they
have spaces in them, which is illegal. For example: 05-2003 memphis 034.jpg
is not a valid filename. 05-2003%20memphis%20034.jpg is valid. Make sure
that you're performing UrlEncoding on them. I've heard some issues with this
and IE 7 whereas IE 6 was more forgiving and did a lot of auto-correcting.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello Gary,

I have just visited teh web link you provided and it seems when I select a
certain image(name) in the ListBox(in updatepanel), the image control
correctly displays the selected image) together with the refreshing of the
textbox. I am using IE 7 on a windows 2k3 box. Is there any other
particular factors in your test environment that can cause the behavior?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

GaryDean

Steven,
hmmm, with me and others that use the site it always fails with I.E.7 and
works with I.E.6. all of us are likely using XP.
When I access it now with I.E.6 it's from a VMWare Server 2003 image.
This complicates things. Maybe there is something to Mark FitzPatrick's
post?
Gary

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello Gary,

Have you got an progress on this issue? Based on my former test, it seems
the image can display well when I select items in the listbox. Is there
anything else that cause the problem?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

GaryDean

I'm working this real part time now but now that I know it works for you in
I.E. 7, I don't know what to think.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Gary,

I've just performed some further research. It seems the problem also
related to the operating system. In previous message, I said that I tested
the page you provided on windows 2003/IE7 with no problem. However, when
tested on windows xp sp2/IE7 it seems can not swtich pictures when i swtich
selected items in the listbox. Did you encounter the same behavior?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

GaryDean

Steven:
Wow! Is there an Atlas forum somewhere? Maybe I need to take this problem
to a more specialized forum?
thanks,
Gary

GaryDean

Steven:
I removed the Atlas Updatepanel and the picture changes with I.E.7 on XP so
it's an definitely an Atlas issue.

by the way...
I'm using an image control with ImageURL set to image.aspx.
In image.aspx I have the picture in myBitmap which is a
system.drawing.bitmap
I put the picture in the image by doing:
myBitmap.Save(Response.OutputStream, ImageFormat.Jpeg);

Can you envision any reason this might not work in an Atlas - XP - I.E.7
environment Only?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your followup Gary,

So if the pictures are all referenced as static files on disk(such as
myimage.jpg or myimage.gif...), it will work and the problem only occurs
when you use a aspx page or handler to output the image stream?

If your image.aspx's code is correct, I can't get anything that could cause
the problem. Would you also provide me the code logic of your image.aspx
page?