AJAX version of Wikipedia with geo-browsing

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by soeren.auer@gmail.com, Jan 14, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi all,

    we thought it could be interesting to experiment with equipping
    Wikipedia with some AJAX features. Result is a user interface for
    Wikipedia, which is largely based on AJAX, thus enabling previews of
    images or referenced articles without reloading the current Wikipedia
    page. Its called Pediax and accessible at:

    http://en.pediax.org

    Pediax also allows geo-browsing, i.e. geo-referenced Wikipedia articles
    (currently over 50,000) are displayed on a map. It shows the 20 most
    popular places/articles in the currently selected map area. On moves or
    zooming of the map area the respective places/articles are updated
    (more views on the Wikipedia content are currently under development).
    Everything is still a bit beta ;-) The CSS and JS code might require
    some more tweaking. However, we are grateful for all hints, feedback
    and ideas.

    --sören
    , Jan 14, 2007

  2. Daz Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > we thought it could be interesting to experiment with equipping
    > Wikipedia with some AJAX features. Result is a user interface for
    > Wikipedia, which is largely based on AJAX, thus enabling previews of
    > images or referenced articles without reloading the current Wikipedia
    > page. Its called Pediax and accessible at:
    >
    > http://en.pediax.org
    >
    > Pediax also allows geo-browsing, i.e. geo-referenced Wikipedia articles
    > (currently over 50,000) are displayed on a map. It shows the 20 most
    > popular places/articles in the currently selected map area. On moves or
    > zooming of the map area the respective places/articles are updated
    > (more views on the Wikipedia content are currently under development).
    > Everything is still a bit beta ;-) The CSS and JS code might require
    > some more tweaking. However, we are grateful for all hints, feedback
    > and ideas.
    >
    > --sören

    Very nice indeed. However, to me it felt clunky and not as responsive
    as I'd expected. When I clicked, the browser hung. I'm not sure if this
    is my browser, the script, too much data being sent/retrieved, or that
    you might be using a synchronous call.

    Other than that, it's not all the bad in the way it works. Thanks for
    sharing it with us.
    Daz, Jan 14, 2007