Ajax + XML + MySQL

Discussion in 'XML' started by bcochofel, Dec 13, 2006.

  1. bcochofel

    bcochofel Guest

    Hi, I'm using Perl CGI and HTML::Template to generate the following
    XML:
    <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xml" href="RR.xsl"?>
    <!-- $Id: template.xml,v 1.5 2006/12/11 11:13:30 bcochofel Exp $ -->
    <RR
    xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
    xsi:schemaLocation="http://cochofel.sytes.net
    ~bcochofel/iweb/files/RR.xsd">
    <Request>
    <url>/~bcochofel/iweb/cgi-bin/getmysites.cgi</url>
    <session>
    <user></user>
    </session>
    <query>
    <!-- o campo parametro pode ter varias ocurrencias -->
    <param name="sort" value="asc" />
    <param name="field" value="" />
    </query>
    </Request>
    <Response>
    <sites>
    <site url="http://www.google.com">
    <tag name="pesquisa" weight="30" />
    <tag name="procura" weight="30" />
    </site>
    <site url="http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1">
    <tag name="ajax" weight="25" />
    <tag name="pesquisa" weight="30" />
    <tag name="procura" weight="30" />
    </site>
    <site url="https://webmail.fe.up.pt">
    <tag name="email" weight="20" />
    <tag name="feup" weight="20" />
    </site>
    </sites>
    </Response>
    </RR>
    The Response element gets information from a MySQL DB and this is only
    an example.

    I'm creating a XSL file to transform this XML output in XHTML with the
    results in a table, something like:

    ----------------------
    | URL | TAG | WEIGHT |
    ----------------------

    One URL can have several TAGS. URL is an attribute of the element
    site.

    What I want his to let the client click on the table tittle (url, tag
    or weight) to sort the elements using that field, if the elements are
    already sorted with that field then the order is toogle (ascending
    and descending).

    I want to do this in the client side using Ajax but I can't figure out
    how to do this. How can I get the XML elements without querying the
    MySQL server again? Can I do this? Does javascript has some object to
    retrieve XML elements like this?

    I'm using CGI::Ajax, a Perl module, but if I use this I'll have to
    querie MySQL server again to resort the elements (at least I think I
    have to...)

    Can someone point me out some kind of solution to this? I'm a newbie
    in using Ajax and XML.

    Thanks,
    Bruno

    bcochofel, Dec 13, 2006

  2. bcochofel

    Guest

    I'm not a real expert on XML, but I do know that you can create an XML
    document in memory in most browsers.

    Microsoft uses its "Microsoft.XMLDOM" object, and I believe in Mozilla
    you can simply create a new "document" (Although that I'm less sure
    about). Once you have these objects you can load them up with whatever
    XML you want -- presumably in your case the XML returned from your AJAX
    request. You then have the XML stored on the client's machine and can
    write some javascript stuff to output it as you would like.

    Cheers,

    Greg

    , Dec 13, 2006