AJAX, XMLHttp, and webservice.htc. interesting find...

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Jay, Oct 12, 2007.

  1. Jay

    Jay Guest

    Getting into AJAX using the XMLHttp object and am really liking it.

    We are in the process of upgrading our existing behavior calls
    (webservice.htc) to the more 'supported', as they say, concept of
    AJAX. One thing I noticed was that the .htc code practically does the
    same thing AJAX does - with nice code that allows you to .value
    reference the return XML nice and easily - and now I'm wondering why I
    should even bother trying to reinvent the wheel.

    The one thing I noticed so far that really looked like an issue is
    that the .htc file uses the older 'Microsoft.XMLHttp' object. As far
    as I know, there are newer versions (and I'm guesing faster as well)
    such as 'MSXML2.XMLHttp.5.0'. I tried to hack the code to instantiate
    the 5.0 object and it blew up. I am assuming this is due to the fact
    that webservice.htx is not backwards compatible and/or hardcoded
    specifically for the 'Microsoft.XMLHttp' object.

    Has anyone come across this situation? Is there much to gain by moving
    from 'Microsoft.XMLHttp' to 'MSXML2.XMLHttp' object? Should I just
    keep the webservice.htc and continue using it, or is it worth to dive
    in and upgrade to the newer AJAX stuff?

    Thanks for your thoughts...
    Jay, Oct 12, 2007

  2. Jay

    Jay Guest

    On Oct 12, 3:37 pm, Jay <> wrote:
    > Getting into AJAX using the XMLHttp object and am really liking it.
    >
    > We are in the process of upgrading our existing behavior calls
    > (webservice.htc) to the more 'supported', as they say, concept of
    > AJAX. One thing I noticed was that the .htc code practically does the
    > same thing AJAX does - with nice code that allows you to .value
    > reference the return XML nice and easily - and now I'm wondering why I
    > should even bother trying to reinvent the wheel.
    >
    > The one thing I noticed so far that really looked like an issue is
    > that the .htc file uses the older 'Microsoft.XMLHttp' object. As far
    > as I know, there are newer versions (and I'm guesing faster as well)
    > such as 'MSXML2.XMLHttp.5.0'. I tried to hack the code to instantiate
    > the 5.0 object and it blew up. I am assuming this is due to the fact
    > that webservice.htx is not backwards compatible and/or hardcoded
    > specifically for the 'Microsoft.XMLHttp' object.
    >
    > Has anyone come across this situation? Is there much to gain by moving
    > from 'Microsoft.XMLHttp' to 'MSXML2.XMLHttp' object? Should I just
    > keep the webservice.htc and continue using it, or is it worth to dive
    > in and upgrade to the newer AJAX stuff?
    >
    > Thanks for your thoughts...

    One bump.

    Any thoughts at all?

    Thank you...
    Jay, Oct 15, 2007

  3. Jay wrote:

    > Getting into AJAX using the XMLHttp object and am really liking it.
    >
    > We are in the process of upgrading our existing behavior calls
    > (webservice.htc) to the more 'supported', as they say, concept of
    > AJAX. One thing I noticed was that the .htc code practically does the
    > same thing AJAX does - with nice code that allows you to .value
    > reference the return XML nice and easily - and now I'm wondering why I
    > should even bother trying to reinvent the wheel.
    >
    > The one thing I noticed so far that really looked like an issue is
    > that the .htc file uses the older 'Microsoft.XMLHttp' object. As far
    > as I know, there are newer versions (and I'm guesing faster as well)
    > such as 'MSXML2.XMLHttp.5.0'. I tried to hack the code to instantiate
    > the 5.0 object and it blew up. I am assuming this is due to the fact
    > that webservice.htx is not backwards compatible and/or hardcoded
    > specifically for the 'Microsoft.XMLHttp' object.
    >
    > Has anyone come across this situation? Is there much to gain by moving
    > from 'Microsoft.XMLHttp' to 'MSXML2.XMLHttp' object? Should I just
    > keep the webservice.htc and continue using it, or is it worth to dive
    > in and upgrade to the newer AJAX stuff?

    I'm not an expert in this matter, but I surmise that MS Internet
    Explorer should select the most recently installed version by default,
    that is, if you don't specify anything else.

    You might have a good reason to request for a specific version, but I
    wouldn't do too much exotic or version-dependent stuff if you want
    your scripts still working after some time.

    It looks like this is more a topic for the Microsoft-specific
    newsgroups (their own engineers are on it):
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx

    Hope this helps,

    --
    Bart