alarm?

Michael P. Soulier

--pZs/OQEoSSbxGlYw

Hello,

I see that there is a Signal class in the core for catching signals. Where
would the alarm system call be, for setting a SIGALRM? I can't seem to find
it.

Thanks,
Mike
--=20
Michael P. Soulier <[email protected]>
direction." --Albert Einstein

--pZs/OQEoSSbxGlYw

--pZs/OQEoSSbxGlYw--

Logan Capaldo

Hello,

I see that there is a Signal class in the core for catching signals. Where
would the alarm system call be, for setting a SIGALRM? I can't seem to find
it.
% cat alarm.rb
trap("ALRM") do
puts "Alarm!"
end

Process.kill("ALRM", $$)

% ruby alarm.rb
Alarm!

HTH.

Michael P. Soulier

--b8GWCKCLzrXbuNet

% cat alarm.rb
trap("ALRM") do
puts "Alarm!"
end
=20
Process.kill("ALRM", $$)
=20
=20
% ruby alarm.rb
Alarm!

But that doesn't tell the OS to send a SIGALRM at a predefined time. I've
found the timeout library, and implemented what I needed with that, but isn=
't
the alarm() system call exposed in Ruby? It is in Perl and Python.

Thanks,
Mike
--=20
Michael P. Soulier <[email protected]>
direction." --Albert Einstein

--b8GWCKCLzrXbuNet

--b8GWCKCLzrXbuNet--

Logan Capaldo

But that doesn't tell the OS to send a SIGALRM at a predefined time. I've
found the timeout library, and implemented what I needed with that, but isn't
the alarm() system call exposed in Ruby? It is in Perl and Python.

Thanks,
Mike
Oops, sorry misunderstood the question. Is this better?
% cat alarm.rb
require 'dl/import'
module Alarm
extend DL::Importable
if RUBY_PLATFORM =~ /darwin/
so_ext = 'dylib'
else
so_ext = 'so'
end
dlload "libc.#{so_ext}"
extern "unsigned int alarm(unsigned int)"
end

trap("ALRM") do
puts "Alarm!"
exit
end

Alarm.alarm(3)

loop {}

% ruby alarm.rb
Alarm!

Michael P. Soulier

--SLauP2uySp+9cKYP

Oops, sorry misunderstood the question. Is this better?
% cat alarm.rb
require 'dl/import'
module Alarm
extend DL::Importable
if RUBY_PLATFORM =3D~ /darwin/
so_ext =3D 'dylib'
else
so_ext =3D 'so'
end
dlload "libc.#{so_ext}"
extern "unsigned int alarm(unsigned int)"
end
=20
trap("ALRM") do
puts "Alarm!"
exit
end
=20
Alarm.alarm(3)
=20
loop {}
=20
% ruby alarm.rb
Alarm!

Impressive that you could write this so quickly. Still, shouldn't this be in
the standard library? I certainly don't want to do this with all of POSIX. =
:)

Thanks,
Mike
--=20