algorithms in C++ book

Discussion in 'C++' started by arnuld, Mar 7, 2007.

  1. arnuld

    arnuld Guest

    i am looking for "algorithms in C++" book. Knuth is FULL of
    Mathematics, not my kind of author. i checked ACCU and got these
    (listing only those that are available in my country:

    1. Algorithms in C++ -- Robert Sedgewick (3e)
    2. Data Structures and Algorithms Analysis - Mark Allen Weiss (2e)
    3. Introduction to Computing and Algorithms - Russell Shackelford
    (1e)
    4. Introduction to Algorithms - Cormen et al.(2e)

    besides these 2 more are available:

    5. Algorithms and Data Structures in C++ - Leendert Ammeraal
    (1e)
    6. Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms - Aho, Ullman and
    Hopcraft (1e)
    7. Data Structures and Algorithms in C++ - Goodrich et al. (1e)

    i do not want an academic text. i have posted enough here so you folks
    know about my thinking and problem solving style, so may i know which
    one you recommend ?
    arnuld, Mar 7, 2007

  2. arnuld wrote:
    > i am looking for "algorithms in C++" book. Knuth is FULL of
    > Mathematics, not my kind of author. i checked ACCU and got these
    > (listing only those that are available in my country:
    >
    > 1. Algorithms in C++ -- Robert Sedgewick (3e)
    > 2. Data Structures and Algorithms Analysis - Mark Allen Weiss (2e)
    > 3. Introduction to Computing and Algorithms - Russell Shackelford
    > (1e)
    > 4. Introduction to Algorithms - Cormen et al.(2e)
    >
    > besides these 2 more are available:
    >
    > 5. Algorithms and Data Structures in C++ - Leendert Ammeraal
    > (1e)
    > 6. Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms - Aho, Ullman and
    > Hopcraft (1e)
    > 7. Data Structures and Algorithms in C++ - Goodrich et al. (1e)
    >

    > i do not want an academic text. i have posted enough here so you folks
    > know about my thinking and problem solving style, so may i know which
    > one you recommend ?

    For general stuff, Sedgewick is OK. For math-related stuff (whether
    you'll need it I don't know), try "Scientific and Engineering C++";
    I don't recall the author, google for it.

    Victor Bazarov, Mar 7, 2007

  3. arnuld wrote:
    > i am looking for "algorithms in C++" book. Knuth is FULL of
    > Mathematics, not my kind of author. i checked ACCU and got these
    > (listing only those that are available in my country:
    >
    > 1. Algorithms in C++ -- Robert Sedgewick (3e)
    > 2. Data Structures and Algorithms Analysis - Mark Allen Weiss (2e)
    > 3. Introduction to Computing and Algorithms - Russell Shackelford
    > (1e)
    > 4. Introduction to Algorithms - Cormen et al.(2e)
    >
    > besides these 2 more are available:
    >
    > 5. Algorithms and Data Structures in C++ - Leendert Ammeraal
    > (1e)
    > 6. Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms - Aho, Ullman and
    > Hopcraft (1e)
    > 7. Data Structures and Algorithms in C++ - Goodrich et al. (1e)
    >

    > i do not want an academic text. i have posted enough here so you folks
    > know about my thinking and problem solving style, so may i know which
    > one you recommend ?

    Sedgewick, apparently the C++ is atrocious, but the explanations of the
    algorithms are very good (I haven't read the C++ edition, only the
    non-language specific edition).

    The Cormen book is very good, but more academic. I'm not familiar with
    the others.

    john
    John Harrison, Mar 7, 2007
  4. arnuld

    red floyd Guest

    John Harrison wrote:
    > arnuld wrote:
    >> i am looking for "algorithms in C++" book. Knuth is FULL of
    >> Mathematics, not my kind of author. i checked ACCU and got these
    >> (listing only those that are available in my country:
    >>
    >> 1. Algorithms in C++ -- Robert Sedgewick (3e)
    >> 2. Data Structures and Algorithms Analysis - Mark Allen Weiss (2e)
    >> 3. Introduction to Computing and Algorithms - Russell Shackelford
    >> (1e)
    >> 4. Introduction to Algorithms - Cormen et al.(2e)
    >>
    >> besides these 2 more are available:
    >>
    >> 5. Algorithms and Data Structures in C++ - Leendert Ammeraal
    >> (1e)
    >> 6. Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms - Aho, Ullman and
    >> Hopcraft (1e)
    >> 7. Data Structures and Algorithms in C++ - Goodrich et al. (1e)

    Aho, Ullman, and Hopcraft (I've always called it "Aho, Hopcraft, and
    Ullman") is not C++ specific, but is an excellent algorithms book.
    red floyd, Mar 7, 2007