Algorithms in C - Robert Sedgewick

Bill Cunningham

If the above mentioned is a book Richard would you recommend it to me
for learning trees, database and algorithms in general? Since it's based in
C maybe I could kill two birds with 1 stone.

Bill

user923005

    If the above mentioned is a book Richard would you recommend it to me
for learning trees, database and algorithms in general? Since it's based in
C maybe I could kill two birds with 1 stone.

It's a good book and I have it (and all of its Sedgewick cousins).
It won't teach you anything about database.
It has information about trees and algorithms.
The additional book "Part 5 Graph" by Sedgewick goes into details
about graph structures (a tree is one simple kind of graph).

Warning:
His code snippets are really just pseudocode and won't always compile
without a bit of tinkering.
However, his descriptions of the algorithms are superb.

Old Wolf

Where Newton's prediction /does/ fall down is that it fails to take
into account the increase in mass of the apple as it increases in
velocity: m = m0 / sqrt(1.0 - (v * v) / (c * c));

From the apple's point of view there is no error!
Since an apple at rest on an apple tree on earth has (appropriately
enough) a weight of 1 Newton, it has a rest mass of, oh, about
0.101982956608291625 kg.

By the time the apple has accelerated to 5m/s (which is not
inconceivable, although I'm no expert in apple tree heights), it has
gained in mass by 0.000000000000000027 kg, to 0.101982956608291652
kg. This is clearly going to have an effect on its momentum as it
strikes the ground. Not a huge effect, but an effect.

I think you will find that if you use the correct
formula for relativistic momentum, then you must
divide by the factor you just multipled by, giving
the same answer as the Newtonian calculation!

luserXtrog

In <[email protected]>,

Old Wolf wrote:

Eric Sosman wrote <some great stuff>

So Newton was right all along. Obviously the physicists are just
jealous, and have mounted a campaign of personal destruction. :)

Kudos to all involved! A most delightful thread to peruse
of an evening during the credits of successive Star Trek episodes.
Does the mention of Newton open the topic of alchemy?
The medieval occult cosmology must have some influence on the
structuring of the abstract quantifies into a framework.