align center qestion

Discussion in 'HTML' started by the idiot, May 6, 2005.

  1. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    i hope this isnt too stupid a question but how would i align this to the
    center?

    cheers.

    <head>
    <title></title>
    </head>

    banner</div>
    menu</div>
    style="position:absolute;left:0px;top:80px;width:200px;height:100px;backgrou
    nd:#ff9900;">1st column</div>
    style="position:absolute;left:200px;top:80px;width:550px;height:300px;backgr
    ound:#dd6124;">2nd column</div>

    the idiot, May 6, 2005

  2. On Fri, 6 May 2005 12:39:44 +0100, the idiot <>
    wrote:

    > i hope this isnt too stupid a question but how would i align this to the
    > center?

    Don't post code. Provide an example page on a temporary url.

    Anyways:
    1. Why make all styles inline? It is a horror (to me) to try and read it.
    Better put it all together in a stylesheet.

    2. If you set the fixed width (ugh yak) of 750px you've chosen to the
    body, and add margin:0 auto; the body will center itself in the viewport
    of a graphical browser.

    Barbara de Zoete, May 6, 2005

  3. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "Barbara de Zoete" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 6 May 2005 12:39:44 +0100, the idiot <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > i hope this isnt too stupid a question but how would i align this to the
    > > center?
    > >

    > Don't post code. Provide an example page on a temporary url.
    >
    > Anyways:
    > 1. Why make all styles inline? It is a horror (to me) to try and read it.
    > Better put it all together in a stylesheet.
    >
    > 2. If you set the fixed width (ugh yak) of 750px you've chosen to the
    > body, and add margin:0 auto; the body will center itself in the viewport
    > of a graphical browser.

    i normally use css but i just found this bit of code (it was actually for a
    four column 100% beast) and i was trying to mangle it to my needs - but alas
    my head isnt working today...

    thanks though

    the idiot, May 6, 2005
  4. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "Barbara de Zoete" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 6 May 2005 12:39:44 +0100, the idiot <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > i hope this isnt too stupid a question but how would i align this to the
    > > center?
    > >

    > Don't post code. Provide an example page on a temporary url.
    >
    > Anyways:
    > 1. Why make all styles inline? It is a horror (to me) to try and read it.
    > Better put it all together in a stylesheet.
    >
    > 2. If you set the fixed width (ugh yak) of 750px you've chosen to the
    > body, and add margin:0 auto; the body will center itself in the viewport
    > of a graphical browser.

    sorry here it is
    http://www.207g.karoo.net/2 column.html

    the idiot, May 6, 2005