Aligning text in frames

Mondas

I have a table with three columns, with text in each one. I
want the text to all start at the same position heightwise in
each frame - at present each column of text starts staggered,
I think the content of each frame is being centered
height-wise, which is throwing off the start position of the text.

I made the page with Dreamweaver. I thought it was perhaps an
issue with my browser, but it displays the same with FF and IE.

http://www.mickpeckmagic.com/birthdaytips/birthdaytips.html

Help please :)

Jonathan N. Little

Mondas said:
I have a table with three columns, with text in each one. I want the
text to all start at the same position heightwise in each frame - at
present each column of text starts staggered, I think the content of
each frame is being centered height-wise, which is throwing off the
start position of the text.

I made the page with Dreamweaver. I thought it was perhaps an issue
with my browser, but it displays the same with FF and IE.

http://www.mickpeckmagic.com/birthdaytips/birthdaytips.html

Help please :)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=3+column+css+layout&btnG=Search
3 column css layout - Google Search

dorayme

Mondas said:
I have a table with three columns, with text in each one. I
want the text to all start at the same position heightwise in
each frame - at present each column of text starts staggered,
I think the content of each frame is being centered
height-wise, which is throwing off the start position of the text.

I made the page with Dreamweaver. I thought it was perhaps an
issue with my browser, but it displays the same with FF and IE.

http://www.mickpeckmagic.com/birthdaytips/birthdaytips.html

Help please :)

It looks very very nice Mondas. I won't look at your code but I
suspect you need to put valign="top" in the <td>s concerned.
There are probably 3 of these, one for each column. Works like a
charm. The magic of tables, the good old 1990s and deprecation
you see...

When you get to use css more, you can do it in a more round about
way for these <td>s. When you get to know even more, you can get
rid of tables altogether. And when you get to know even more
still, you might for the odd project go back and say "Oh bugger
this, let's use tables anyway for old time's sake and it is
simple..."

Mondas

Thanks for the reply. In the end after playing around with it
while waiting for replies I figured it out myself - I had the
valign code as a separate entity .. ie :

as opposed to

I didn't know it had to be in the same tag to have effect.

Thanks.

dorayme

Mondas said:
Thanks for the reply. In the end after playing around with it
while waiting for replies I figured it out myself - I had the
valign code as a separate entity .. ie :

as opposed to

I didn't know it had to be in the same tag to have effect.

Thanks.

No need for Valign, valign is fine.

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
ie. if you have a few months to spare...
Sorry what could be simpler

#banner {
//put the bottom border just this demonstration */
margin: 0 1%; padding: 0; border-bottom: 5px double silver;
}
.column {
margin: 0 1%; padding: 0; float: left; width: 31%; overflow: auto;
}

First column stuff,....
Can have different amounts in each column and all three tops
will be the same...

Second column stuff,....and all three will size with the window and
text scaling!

Third column stuff,....

dorayme

Jonathan N. Little said:
Sorry what could be simpler

The OP sticking in valign="top" is simpler, but lets not quarrel
Jonathan...

I took a look at your actual mark up because I tend to learn
things (for myself) from your efforts and one of the first things
I noticed when I stuck a pic into each div (the columns) was a
scroll bar at the bottom of each col when the window was narrowed
to be unable to display the pics at full width in Safari. The
result of your overflow.

I am not saying this is good or bad. I am saying it is the sort
of thing that is disconcerting to a newcomer, who would need to
then - maybe - want to "fix" this. And then there is IE and float
drops ... I have no PC on to look....

What could be simpler, said you all innocently :)

Mondas

Mark said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Mondas

No offence intended, but it sounds like you need a basic HTML tutorial.

http://htmldog.com/

No offence taken - I have a VERY rudimentary knowledge of HTML
coding. I use Dreamweaver and just need to know the tags
themselves for when Dreamweaver won't automatically do what I
want it to do.

I am not an HTML coder. I will say however that my website is
fantastic for actually turning potential clients into sales -
if I'm talking to client on the phone or via email and they
want more information, if I send them to my site then I -WILL-
get their business. Personally that's all that counts to me.

PS : Saying "no offense intended" does the exact opposite to
what your supposedly meaning (which, I will add, I believe you
only said to make yourself feel superior anyway, that seems to
be the way many people in this group operate). You may wish
to read "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale
Carnegie and "Your Erroneous Zones" by Dr Wayne Dyer, they'd
do you some good.

If I am mistaken about your TRUE intention (that you might
have to even think about for a few seconds for yourself to
realise) then disregard my comment.

All the best :)

dorayme

Mondas said:
[...]

You might (as indeed you "recognised" as a possibility) have this
wrong old chum, Mark Parnell almost certainly meant what he
said...

You see, we all know here how prickly folk can be [1] and so
these expressions are used as a sort of social smoothing oil.
Even I (who am from another planet altogether) have adopted them
reluctantly...

BTW, it is precisely because Mark has finished the course you
mention that he used the expression. It was in the 8th lecture
towards the end.

I know he took the course because it is now compulsory for all
Australians to do this. They are required not only to do American
courses because of their shoulder to shoulder closeness in battle
to the yanks but because they tend to misbehave abroad in loud
drunken ways and it reflects badly on the country.

Got to rush, I am up to the 11th Dale Carnegie lecture...