    issue with my browser, but it displays the same with FF and IE.

    http://www.mickpeckmagic.com/birthdaytips/birthdaytips.html

    Help please :)
    Mondas, Jun 5, 2006

  2. Mondas wrote:
    > I have a table with three columns, with text in each one. I want the
    > text to all start at the same position heightwise in each frame - at
    > present each column of text starts staggered, I think the content of
    > each frame is being centered height-wise, which is throwing off the
    > start position of the text.
    >
    > I made the page with Dreamweaver. I thought it was perhaps an issue
    > with my browser, but it displays the same with FF and IE.
    >
    > http://www.mickpeckmagic.com/birthdaytips/birthdaytips.html
    >
    > Help please :)

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=3 column css layout&btnG=Search
    3 column css layout - Google Search

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 5, 2006

  3. Mondas

    dorayme Guest

    In article <e601ba$u0f$>,
    Mondas <> wrote:

    > I have a table with three columns, with text in each one. I
    > want the text to all start at the same position heightwise in
    > each frame - at present each column of text starts staggered,
    > I think the content of each frame is being centered
    > height-wise, which is throwing off the start position of the text.
    >
    > I made the page with Dreamweaver. I thought it was perhaps an
    > issue with my browser, but it displays the same with FF and IE.
    >
    > http://www.mickpeckmagic.com/birthdaytips/birthdaytips.html
    >
    > Help please :)

    It looks very very nice Mondas. I won't look at your code but I
    suspect you need to put valign="top" in the <td>s concerned.
    There are probably 3 of these, one for each column. Works like a
    charm. The magic of tables, the good old 1990s and deprecation
    you see...

    When you get to use css more, you can do it in a more round about
    way for these <td>s. When you get to know even more, you can get
    rid of tables altogether. And when you get to know even more
    still, you might for the odd project go back and say "Oh bugger
    this, let's use tables anyway for old time's sake and it is
    simple..."

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 5, 2006
  4. Mondas

    dorayme Guest

    In article <4d9fd$44838d04$40cba7b5$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > Mondas wrote:
    > > I have a table with three columns, with text in each one. I want the
    > > text to all start at the same position heightwise in each frame - at
    > > present each column of text starts staggered, I think the content of
    > > each frame is being centered height-wise, which is throwing off the
    > > start position of the text.
    > >
    > > I made the page with Dreamweaver. I thought it was perhaps an issue
    > > with my browser, but it displays the same with FF and IE.
    > >
    > > http://www.mickpeckmagic.com/birthdaytips/birthdaytips.html
    > >
    > > Help please :)

    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=3 column css layout&btnG=Search
    > 3 column css layout - Google Search

    ie. if you have a few months to spare...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 5, 2006
  5. Mondas

    Mondas Guest

    Thanks for the reply. In the end after playing around with it
    while waiting for replies I figured it out myself - I had the
    valign code as a separate entity .. ie :

    as opposed to

    I didn't know it had to be in the same tag to have effect.

    Thanks.
    Mondas, Jun 5, 2006
  6. Mondas

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Mondas
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > I didn't know it had to be in the same tag to have effect.

    No offence intended, but it sounds like you need a basic HTML tutorial.

    http://htmldog.com/

    --
    Mark Parnell
    My Usenet is improved; yours could be too:
    Mark Parnell, Jun 5, 2006
  7. Mondas

    dorayme Guest

    In article <e604fi$3ij$>,
    Mondas <> wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply. In the end after playing around with it
    > while waiting for replies I figured it out myself - I had the
    > valign code as a separate entity .. ie :

    > as opposed to

    > I didn't know it had to be in the same tag to have effect.
    >
    > Thanks.

    No need for Valign, valign is fine.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 5, 2006
  8. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <4d9fd$44838d04$40cba7b5$>,
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Mondas wrote:
    >>> I have a table with three columns, with text in each one. I want the
    >>> text to all start at the same position heightwise in each frame - at
    >>> present each column of text starts staggered, I think the content of
    >>> each frame is being centered height-wise, which is throwing off the
    >>> start position of the text.
    >>>
    >>> I made the page with Dreamweaver. I thought it was perhaps an issue
    >>> with my browser, but it displays the same with FF and IE.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.mickpeckmagic.com/birthdaytips/birthdaytips.html
    >>>
    >>> Help please :)

    >> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=3 column css layout&btnG=Search
    >> 3 column css layout - Google Search

    > ie. if you have a few months to spare...

    Sorry what could be simpler

    #banner {
    //put the bottom border just this demonstration */
    margin: 0 1%; padding: 0; border-bottom: 5px double silver;
    }
    .column {
    margin: 0 1%; padding: 0; float: left; width: 31%; overflow: auto;
    }

    First column stuff,....
    Can have different amounts in each column and all three tops
    will be the same...

    Second column stuff,....and all three will size with the window and
    text scaling!

    Third column stuff,....

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 5, 2006
  9. Mondas

    dorayme Guest

    In article <ccf7c$44839f5c$40cba7a7$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <4d9fd$44838d04$40cba7b5$>,

    > >> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=3 column css layout&btnG=Search
    > >> 3 column css layout - Google Search

    > > ie. if you have a few months to spare...
    > >

    > Sorry what could be simpler

    The OP sticking in valign="top" is simpler, but lets not quarrel
    Jonathan...

    I took a look at your actual mark up because I tend to learn
    things (for myself) from your efforts and one of the first things
    I noticed when I stuck a pic into each div (the columns) was a
    scroll bar at the bottom of each col when the window was narrowed
    to be unable to display the pics at full width in Safari. The
    result of your overflow.

    I am not saying this is good or bad. I am saying it is the sort
    of thing that is disconcerting to a newcomer, who would need to
    then - maybe - want to "fix" this. And then there is IE and float
    drops ... I have no PC on to look....

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 5, 2006
  10. Mondas

    Mondas Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:
    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Mondas
    > <> declared in alt.html:
    >
    >> I didn't know it had to be in the same tag to have effect.

    > No offence intended, but it sounds like you need a basic HTML tutorial.
    >
    > http://htmldog.com/

    No offence taken - I have a VERY rudimentary knowledge of HTML
    coding. I use Dreamweaver and just need to know the tags
    themselves for when Dreamweaver won't automatically do what I
    want it to do.

    I am not an HTML coder. I will say however that my website is
    fantastic for actually turning potential clients into sales -
    if I'm talking to client on the phone or via email and they
    want more information, if I send them to my site then I -WILL-
    get their business. Personally that's all that counts to me.

    PS : Saying "no offense intended" does the exact opposite to
    what your supposedly meaning (which, I will add, I believe you
    only said to make yourself feel superior anyway, that seems to
    be the way many people in this group operate). You may wish
    to read "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale
    Carnegie and "Your Erroneous Zones" by Dr Wayne Dyer, they'd
    do you some good.

    If I am mistaken about your TRUE intention (that you might
    have to even think about for a few seconds for yourself to
    realise) then disregard my comment.

    All the best :)
    Mondas, Jun 5, 2006
  11. Mondas

    dorayme Guest

    In article <e60bno$hb3$>,
    Mondas <> wrote:

    > Mark Parnell wrote:
    > > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Mondas
    > > <> declared in alt.html:
    > >
    > >> I didn't know it had to be in the same tag to have effect.

    > > No offence intended, but it sounds like you need a basic HTML tutorial.
    > >
    > > http://htmldog.com/

    > No offence taken - I have a VERY rudimentary knowledge of HTML
    > coding. I use Dreamweaver and just need to know the tags
    > themselves for when Dreamweaver won't automatically do what I
    > want it to do.
    >
    > I am not an HTML coder. I will say however that my website is
    > fantastic for actually turning potential clients into sales -
    > if I'm talking to client on the phone or via email and they
    > want more information, if I send them to my site then I -WILL-
    > get their business. Personally that's all that counts to me.
    >
    > PS : Saying "no offense intended" does the exact opposite to
    > what your supposedly meaning (which, I will add, I believe you
    > only said to make yourself feel superior anyway, that seems to
    > be the way many people in this group operate). You may wish
    > to read "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale
    > Carnegie and "Your Erroneous Zones" by Dr Wayne Dyer, they'd
    > do you some good.
    >
    > If I am mistaken about your TRUE intention (that you might
    > have to even think about for a few seconds for yourself to
    > realise) then disregard my comment.
    >
    > All the best :)

    You might (as indeed you "recognised" as a possibility) have this
    wrong old chum, Mark Parnell almost certainly meant what he
    said...

    You see, we all know here how prickly folk can be [1] and so
    these expressions are used as a sort of social smoothing oil.
    Even I (who am from another planet altogether) have adopted them
    reluctantly...

    BTW, it is precisely because Mark has finished the course you
    mention that he used the expression. It was in the 8th lecture
    towards the end.

    I know he took the course because it is now compulsory for all
    Australians to do this. They are required not only to do American
    courses because of their shoulder to shoulder closeness in battle
    to the yanks but because they tend to misbehave abroad in loud
    drunken ways and it reflects badly on the country.

    Got to rush, I am up to the 11th Dale Carnegie lecture...

    [1] Look at you, for example, the way you said no offence
    intended but underneath obviously a bit stung to the quick.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 5, 2006