Alignment question

Jeremy Williams

This problem seems to be dependent on the machine doing the viewing. I'd
very much appreciate the insights of the ng as to why. The professional
designer/coder (which I am not) does not see this problem and claims it
doesn't therefore have a solution; I see it and it bugs me.

The site concerned is www.1835company.com. Almost ready to launch, and
deliberately so made to avoid frames.

You'll see that the top has a graphic and a small Flash animation (12k),
beneath this there is a row of buttons. On some machines, as you move from
button to button, the alignment of the button row (which should be flush
with the bottom of the graphic and the Flash) will shift a pixel or two up
and down. This makes things look awful. Yet the graphic and the Flash are
defined in tables with a controlled height and no borders or anything, which
ought to force them into exactly the same height, and the top-aligned button
bar to close up to them, and so on.

So what's going on, and how can this effect be eliminated?

Thanks in advance
JNW

Dexter J

Salutations:

Jeremy said:
[...]

Your tables are spreading out dependent on client screen size and content
available in the template..

As long as you have enough content to fill the void - it doesn't spread -
when your content doesn't fill the void the tables are opening up to
account for the extra space.. Basically - an alignment/margin pwob I
think..

--

J Dexter - webmaster - http://www.dexterdyne.org/
no news no phone in - RealAudio 8+ Required - all the Time

Radio Free Dexterdyne Top Tune o'be-do-da-day
Isley Brothers - It's Your Thing
http://www.dexterdyne.org/888/169.RAM

Chris Beall

Jeremy Williams said:
[...]

Jeremy,

I do not see the problem on IE 5.5, or Netscape 7.02, both on Windows
98SE at 800 X 600 or 1024 X 768. There is nothing in the source code
that would account for the behavior you describe.

Do other people looking over your shoulder see it?

When you see the problem, what browser and version are you using?
What operating system?
What screen resolution?
What color depth?

What distinguishes the machines that show the problem from those that do
not?

Here's a possibility. Some browsers allow the user to define their own
style sheet which is applied before (or in place of) any style specified
in the web page. Your page has a style sheet, but it does not specify
any :hover options. The user, however, COULD specify some kind of
:hover style, either through a local style sheet or a browser option
(which has the same effect). Now if that's the case, the application of
the :hover style MIGHT cause the effect you describe. It also might
only appear on machines with certain graphics cards, which would make it
even more difficult to isolate.

Chris Beall

FatBlokeOnBikepins

..
Looks fine here on Opera v7.11, too.

Mind you, may I suggest you re-think the full justification on the Home Page (I went no
further into the site)? In these cases, the resulting spread always looks odd to me.

And should it not be "...via the application of expert advice and the use of [drop this
"the" here] roadmapping and customer management techniques, from concept ..."

I did like the movie, but I would have the "Fire" buttons flash only two or three times,
then stay on.

Apart from that, it looks clean and sharp.

HTH.

Yooors,

IAin.
[...]

Sent from within Forte's Agent.