All browsers have open TCP connections to 1e100.net?

Noop

Hi all,

I keep finding that browsers are accessing 1e100.net
in the background. Often there are 5 or 10 open connections
to servers at that domain. This is true of Firefox, Safari, and
Opera.

People say this is something to do with safe browsing,
so in Firefox I went to alt:config and disabled "safe browsing" and
set all URLs to do with safe browsing to a bogus domain, yet
these connections are still being made.

So if 1e100.net connections are nothing to do with
safe browsing, what are they? Are they tracking web
accesses illegally? They are something to do with MarkMonitor
which seems to be about DRM.

Anybody here know?

cwdjrxyz

Hi all,

I keep finding that browsers are accessing 1e100.net
in the background. Often there are 5 or 10 open connections
to servers at that domain. This is true of Firefox, Safari, and
Opera.

People say this is something to do with safe browsing,
so in Firefox I went to alt:config and disabled "safe browsing" and
set all URLs to do with safe browsing to a bogus domain, yet
these connections are still being made.

So if 1e100.net connections are nothing to do with
safe browsing, what are they? Are they tracking web
accesses illegally? They are something to do with MarkMonitor
which seems to be about DRM.

Anybody here know?

It is from Google and apparently is not harmful. See
http://www.pcmech.com/article/the-mysterious-1e100-net/ . If you do a
Google search on 1e100.net you will get more references on this
strange name than you likely have time to read. The strange name and
the fact that Google introduced it without much, if any, publicity has
made many wonder what it is doing.

richard

Hi all,

I keep finding that browsers are accessing 1e100.net
in the background. Often there are 5 or 10 open connections
to servers at that domain. This is true of Firefox, Safari, and
Opera.

People say this is something to do with safe browsing,
so in Firefox I went to alt:config and disabled "safe browsing" and
set all URLs to do with safe browsing to a bogus domain, yet
these connections are still being made.

So if 1e100.net connections are nothing to do with
safe browsing, what are they? Are they tracking web
accesses illegally? They are something to do with MarkMonitor
which seems to be about DRM.

Anybody here know?

from what I've been reading it looks like this is an attempt by google to
manage their few hundred thousand servers. But even while a user is not
even online? Why should something like that become active as you boot your
machine?

Ergo, it must be some sooper sekrit technology recently deployed by the
federal government so that Obama knows what you're doing with your machine.

Hellifino