    some point, but I don't think it ever went in. That would catch a
    common error introduced during maintenance.

    John Nagle

    John Nagle, Aug 7, 2007

  2. John Nagle

    Steve Holden Guest

    John Nagle wrote:
    > One can argue over tab vs. space indentation, but mixing the two
    > is just wrong. Why not have CPython report an error if a file has
    > both leading tabs and leading spaces? I know that was proposed at
    > some point, but I don't think it ever went in. That would catch a
    > common error introduced during maintenance.

    I suppose we Pythonistas are just too permissive for our own good.
    Consider the opportunity to use mixed tabs and spaces a piece of rope of
    your preferred length ...

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

    Steve Holden, Aug 7, 2007

  3. John Nagle

    Omari Norman Guest

    > I suppose we Pythonistas are just too permissive for our own good.
    > Consider the opportunity to use mixed tabs and spaces a piece of rope of
    > your preferred length ...

    I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Python 3000 will ban tabs
    as indentation characters, but now I can't turn up a link for it...

    --
    You can't lose what you never had.

    Omari Norman, Aug 7, 2007
  4. John Nagle

    Neil Cerutti Guest

    On 2007-08-07, Omari Norman <> wrote:
    >> I suppose we Pythonistas are just too permissive for our own good.
    >> Consider the opportunity to use mixed tabs and spaces a piece of rope of
    >> your preferred length ...

    > I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Python 3000 will
    > ban tabs as indentation characters, but now I can't turn up a
    > link for it...

    Tabs are going to be banned in the C Style Guide for Python 3000
    source code, but they aren't being banned from Python 3000 code.

    --
    Neil Cerutti
    The concert held in Fellowship Hall was a great success. Special thanks are

    Neil Cerutti, Aug 7, 2007
  5. John Nagle

    James Antill Guest

    Re: All leading tabs or all leading spaces - why isn't thatenforced?

    On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 02:53:18 +0000, John Nagle wrote:

    > One can argue over tab vs. space indentation, but mixing the two is just
    > wrong. Why not have CPython report an error if a file has both leading
    > tabs and leading spaces? I know that was proposed at some point, but I
    > don't think it ever went in. That would catch a common error introduced
    > during maintenance.

    While I agree it should be default, you can enable extra checking with
    -tt. Eg.

    % jhexdump /tmp/abcd.py
    0x00000000: 2321 202F 7573 722F 6269 6E2F 7079 7468 #! /usr/bin/pyth
    0x00000010: 6F6E 202D 7474 0A0A 6966 2054 7275 653A on -tt..if True:
    0x00000020: 0A09 7072 696E 7420 2261 220A 2020 2020 ..print "a".
    0x00000030: 2020 2020 7072 696E 7420 2262 220A print "b".
    % /tmp/abcd.py
    File "/tmp/abcd.py", line 5
    print "b"
    ^
    TabError: inconsistent use of tabs and spaces in indentation
    % python /tmp/abcd.py

    ....note that this doesn't require all spaces or all tabs, just that
    their usage has to be consistent.

    --
    James Antill --
    C String APIs use too much memory? ustr: length, ref count, size and

    James Antill, Aug 7, 2007